How to find, download, and play videos on this site

BLADEMASTER_19
Org Profile

How to find, download, and play videos on this site

Post by BLADEMASTER_19 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:23 am

I one of the new people here and i need to know one thing. where can i get the AMV DL's from

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:04 am

How to find, download, and play videos on this site.

[Corran: Note that this thread is over three years old. I've updated this guide to stay current, but other posts in the thread may still be out of date. For example, the two week wait before new accounts can download from local links no longer exists. Please keep this in mind as you read the thread.]

To download videos the first thing you need to do is find them.

On the top right of the members page you will find the "Top lists" box. The three links you will probably want to concern yourself with here are the three below.

Top 10% Videos: Videos here have 8 or more opinions (ops) and rank in the top ten percent of all other videos that also have 8 or more opinions. This is a good way to find the best videos this site has to offer. Note that the default view of this listing only shows videos released within the last year. Click the links right above the list to change the time frames.

Top Star Scale: Here you can find videos ranked by their weighted star scale ratings.
There are actually a couple of lists in the link.
-The one you find on the top is the Top All-Time Star Scale which shows the top star ranked videos since the star rating system came into existence.
-The lists below it are the same except they are generated on a weekly basis. This is so people can see some of the newer videos the site has to offer because it is generally difficult for a great, new video to climb up the Top All-Time Star Scale quickly.

NOTE: The star scale is a simple system where after someone downloads a local video they give it a star rating of 1 through 5 based on their opinion of the video. This is a quick and dirty way of expressing your thoughts on a video without writing a review for it. Videos on these lists need at least 5 stars before they start to appear on the lists.

Top Favorite Videos: The videos in this list are based on their position in all members' favorites lists. Generally, you will find good videos here. This list doesn't fluctuate much though so it is only a good as a starting point.

The following are some additional ways to find videos.
New Vid on the Block:
Further down the right hand side of the members page you will find the new "New Vid on the Block" section. This list shows 10 recently uploaded videos (only 1 if you haven't donated I am told).

Search for AMVs:
On the left side of the page you'll find the link called "Search for AMVs".
This page will list multiple search features available to you. You should play with all of them but for now we will assume you are looking for something specific so click the "Super search" button. Here you can enter information to find videos specific to your interests. You can search by anime, music, artists, member, category, etc.

NOTE: If you have donated to the site you can have the list returned to you ordered by average star rating.

Now you've found a video you want to download. How do you do that?
Scroll down to the bottom of the video's information page.

**First off if you do not see the download box at the bottom of the page then that video is not for download.**

1) Indirect downloads: To use this link you need to left click it. This link points to another site where you can get the video. If the editor was nice they made this link point to the page that the video is on. Some people however just point this link to their website's main page and force you to search their site for the video...

2) Direct downloads: To use this link you need to right click on it and select "Save Target As...". These are used if the editor has it the video somewhere else other than this website and they wish to give you a link to the video itself instead of an indirect link.

3) Local downloads: To use this link you need to left click it. You have to be a member before you can download from the local links. If you have donated the download should start 1 second after the page loads. If you haven't donated you will be taken to a page that talks about why donating is a good thing. At the bottom of that page are three links. Two for donating and one to proceed to the download page. To continue to the download, left click the proceed button. Your download will begin 10 seconds after the page loads.

What if the video doesn't play right.
If the video you downloaded only has sound or it won't playback in general then you probably don't have the necessary codecs installed to watch the video.
To remedy this I suggest the CCCP playback pack. Of all the codec packs out there, it is one of the smallest and effective. It also tries to play nice with your operating system whereas a lot of other codec packs are known to mess things up. For these reasons, it is highly recommended by the amv and anime communities.

If you still have problems playing a video, try reading the playback guide on this site: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/playback/

(Linked guide also includes instructions for Mac and Linux.)
Last edited by Corran on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:24 am

Before someone asks, there are two known methods of resuming local downloads. Seems the only way around it is to use a different browser.

FireFox seems to do the job without too many problems.
Opera also works, but some people seem to have some trouble with it. Not sure why though.

It might also be an idea to change the topic title to something more like...
[How to download videos] It's just more obvious-esque.
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:13 pm

another contribution to this sticky thread:
Moonslayer's All Purpose AMV .ORG Guide - an easy to follow guide for downloading, uploading, searching, entering, and rating videos.

i recall new vid on the block shows 1 vid for non-donators, 10 vids for donators.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

EtoileEyes
Org Profile

Post by EtoileEyes » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:01 am

I'm having problems and I don't know if it's my computer or if there's a site problem. I've just reinstated my membership and donated to the cause. I downloaded two videos since this past weekend and have been trying to download a third for the past couple of days. I've clicked the local links and nothing happens. I've tried several different videos to no avail. I know my internet is running fine and that links on other sites work, but not the local download link. Now the two amv's I downloaded worked fine in the download process and eveything was peachy. One of the downloads got interupted twice due to modem problems and I had to restart it. I don't know if that counted as more than one. What are the limits to the downloads? I just hope I haven't broken any rules or anything... I also hope it's not a computer problem. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks guys!

~EtoileEyes~

UrbanSpecter
Org Profile

Post by UrbanSpecter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:15 pm

I have to bee a member for 2 weeks before I can download music videos?

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:29 pm

EtoileEyes wrote:I'm having problems and I don't know if it's my computer or if there's a site problem. I've just reinstated my membership and donated to the cause. I downloaded two videos since this past weekend and have been trying to download a third for the past couple of days. I've clicked the local links and nothing happens. I've tried several different videos to no avail. I know my internet is running fine and that links on other sites work, but not the local download link. Now the two amv's I downloaded worked fine in the download process and eveything was peachy. One of the downloads got interupted twice due to modem problems and I had to restart it. I don't know if that counted as more than one. What are the limits to the downloads? I just hope I haven't broken any rules or anything... I also hope it's not a computer problem. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks guys!

~EtoileEyes~
what browser are you using? is it that there is no "save file" dialog box popping up or does it not even load a new page?
UrbanSpecter wrote:I have to bee a member for 2 weeks before I can download music videos?
You can download videos with a direct or indirect link, but not videos with a local link only until 2 weeks. (unless you donate).
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

jinjue
Org Profile

problem downloading

Post by jinjue » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 am

I too seem to be having a problem downloading. I have waited the requisite two weeks, yet I seem to be completely unable to download locally hosted AMVs. Every time I click the link and proceed past the donation page, it takes me to the page that tells me to wait ten seconds for my download to commence...and that's when it gets all dodgy.

Instead of downloading after ten seconds or even showing a link to the download, the file automatically tries to load into my docked windows media player. Then the page immediately forwards to an error page hosted by Microsoft claiming that "You've encountered error message 80040111 while using Windows Media Player", and that's the end of that. Any attempts to refresh the page or return back to it leads to this: ERROR: You are attempting to download this video too soon after your last attempt.

I have tried to download several local links for several different AMVs and it's always this same result. Any help with my problem would be much appreciated.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:08 pm

what browser are you using?

jinjue
Org Profile

Post by jinjue » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:01 am

Internet explorer 6.0; ergo something very, very generic and non-spesh.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”