What to do about spelling errors in the database?

jhfong
Org Profile

What to do about spelling errors in the database?

Post by jhfong » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:33 am

I had an idea to do a video to Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors", so I did a search to see if anyone else had used the song before. There isn't an entry in the database for "Cyndi Lauper - True Colors", but there are two under the name *Cindy* Lauper.

So whenever I get around to making the video I was thinking of, I've got three choices:

1) Create a new song entry for "True Colors" under Cyndi Lauper. There are already a couple of songs that are duplicated between the "Cyndi" and "Cindy" categories.

2) Add it to the existing "Cindy Lauper - True Colors" entry, even though I know the name is spelled wrong.

3) Ask Phade to reclassify all the "Cindy Lauper" songs and the videos associated with them under "Cyndi Lauper", however long it'll take for him to get around to it.

What do you think I should do?
Julian Fong
Ingress Productions

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:17 am

i would say use cyndi lauper. it's not your fault the others spelled the name wrong.

i think phade is working on an "aliasing" thing. so alternative names are returned together, like "dragon ball" and "dragonball."
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:44 am

Each time I've made a video to an existing but misspelled song or series/film, I've created a new entry using the correct spelling.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

jhfong
Org Profile

Post by jhfong » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:19 pm

OK, I'm going to create a new song entry when I create the video... I just wonder if these kinds of spelling errors make videos harder to find. There used to be an aliasing feature for anime titles when "Search By" was working, but even then it didn't apply to music artists. I mean, have you ever tried searching under t.A.T.u, t.A.T.u., T.A.T.U and TATU? They've got four separate entries.
Julian Fong
Ingress Productions

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:23 pm

I'm with jbone. If something's wrong, it's your job to make sure YOU have the correct info for YOUR videos.

When Meri and I did "Redemption," there were already a few videos that used the theme song to "Angel." Unfortunately, half of them didn't know the artist, and half of them didn't know the official title.

So we entered them in, ourselves. Poo on those who don't do the research / buy the CDs to know what the Hell they're talking about :P
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”