Star rating only for local downloads?

Dan42
Org Profile

Star rating only for local downloads?

Post by Dan42 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:35 pm

The star rating system seems to be only for local downloads. Was that done by design, or is it just a matter of work in progress, or am I missing something? I think it would be nice to be able to give star ratings for AMVs you've downloaded in the past. And maybe leave a short comment too (and I mean short, as in VARCHAR(255), otherwise it's better to write a review). I think the creators would get more feedback with this, even if it's not very detailed feedback.
Dan42
Encyclopedist & PHP/SQL guy @ Anime News Network
Webmaster @ Dan42's Jin-Roh Lair & Chiyoko, Millennium Actress

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:47 pm

It was done on purpose, 'cause with local downloads, the system knows for certain that you actually managed to download the video and then presumably watched it.

For direct indirect link there is no way to really know that you downloaded anything, and therefore a Star System for those could easily be abused.

AnimeGuy420
Org Profile

Post by AnimeGuy420 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:22 pm

The only thing I don't like about it is that some people can just give you a bad rating...lets say you got a vid with a 4.62 average and some1 gives it a 2.

EarthCurrent
Org Profile

Post by EarthCurrent » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:49 pm

You run that same risk with the regular reviewing system. However, just because everyone else is giving a video 4s and 5s doesn't mean that someone shouldn't be allowed to give you a 2 or a 1 if they didn't like the video.

Dan42
Org Profile

Post by Dan42 » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:59 pm

AnimeGuy420 wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is that some people can just give you a bad rating...lets say you got a vid with a 4.62 average and some1 gives it a 2.
Well, that's part of the game. That "2" rating might be because the person really didn't like your video, not because he wants to frustrate you.

I don't really understand how the current way prevents abuse. If someone wants to abuse the star ratings, he can just download the video and then give a poor rating without even watching it. A system where the public can enter data has to trust the public to some extent, otherwise what's the point of being public? Black sheeps can be detected and filtered out (although that does requires a little work), so that's no reason to restrict the 99.9% of other users.

But if that's what Phade decided... it's his website.
Dan42
Encyclopedist & PHP/SQL guy @ Anime News Network
Webmaster @ Dan42's Jin-Roh Lair & Chiyoko, Millennium Actress

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:15 pm

Dan42 wrote:
AnimeGuy420 wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is that some people can just give you a bad rating...lets say you got a vid with a 4.62 average and some1 gives it a 2.
Well, that's part of the game. That "2" rating might be because the person really didn't like your video, not because he wants to frustrate you.

I don't really understand how the current way prevents abuse. If someone wants to abuse the star ratings, he can just download the video and then give a poor rating without even watching it. A system where the public can enter data has to trust the public to some extent, otherwise what's the point of being public? Black sheeps can be detected and filtered out (although that does requires a little work), so that's no reason to restrict the 99.9% of other users.

But if that's what Phade decided... it's his website.
Thats true, it totally depends on the viewer. Maybe youll find one ass who gives you a 1 for no reason, but it really wont affect your average if u have alot of stars

AnimeGuy420
Org Profile

Post by AnimeGuy420 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:18 am

Yea, so in ways it is fair, and in other ways its not.

grimmer
Org Profile

Post by grimmer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:32 am

Hmmm is it possible to link the star-rating download list to the favorite list and to the opinion list?

Now I have three kind of ranking lists. (opinion, star and favorite) My idea (suggestion) would be in the (example) favourite list two extra columns (average given opinions... and stars given)

Why? than I can make sure I use the same standard in rating in each video. Also I can easily see what AMV's I've downloaded and witch ones I'd still have to give opinions too...

SECOND! suggestion.. Make a promo link to what happens when you become a donator.. (a bit of commercial to cover the expenses isn't bad!) It's a great site and why do you not promote it further?

Marcel

Tyler_Darko
Org Profile

Post by Tyler_Darko » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:16 am

Yep, I'm sorry but I'm french and in a-m-v.org, it has one thing that I have not understand about the star rating.... :? 5 is the best for the amv or 1 is the best ? It's a big confue in my head :? PLease, help me :cry:

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:25 am

5 is best

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”