A request to phade. (Using limited download managers)

gypsy
Org Profile

A request to phade. (Using limited download managers)

Post by gypsy » Fri May 23, 2003 1:44 pm

I think I'm the first person to complain about this but I'll just put on my anti flame gear and be prepared for the worst.

This is a request to Phade and I owuld like ot hear his side of the story as the ultimate desision is his.

I got a problem with the local download system. Not with the fact that almost anybody can now host their vids. This is great. :D I'm glad to see that it's actually starting to work and hopefully it'll grow to it's full potential soon.

My problem is that I live in South Africa. We're still in the stone age as far as interne and telecommunication is concerned to I'll be lucky if my internet connection speed is above 3.5kb

With the new local download system I can't use my download managers and for me to hava ANY chance to download a vid I MUST use a download manager. I get frequent timeouts and it takes me about 4-5 hours to download a single amv. (depending on the file size)

If I donload it I normally get 18 megs then a timeout. Even if I dont do anything on the ent in that time.

My request to phade is this. Could download managers be allowed to people that reeeaalllyy need it. BUT limit the manager to 1 connection ONLY . People who dont have broadband / isdn / t1 lines like so many lucky people out there. (I envy you :evil: )

You could put on a checker on the site to monitor ip's and if more than one connection is used the persons privelage to use a manager can be removed.

Just a though.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers vir eers
Gypsy

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Fri May 23, 2003 3:19 pm

Well, you aren't the onlly one with bad connections either. I mean, cable! It's suppose to be cable afterall but it's like using a 1kb modem of the pre-stoneage.

and hey, i haven't heard of any members actually being from south africa so far, but i guess the site really is becoming more global nowadays.

as for dl managers, i think you could use them, such as to resume downloads, should there be problems.

i'm not phade...but i wish i was and had his skillz. :D

/end
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Dan42
Org Profile

Post by Dan42 » Fri May 23, 2003 3:59 pm

This suggestion came just at the right time; I was going to suggest adding resume functionality to the localdownload.php script because... well, you always need to resume sometimes. And not only am I suggesting it, here's the PHP code to make it work! :wink:

This requires the script to received the name of the file to download as parameter "file"
And it's not my fault if the indentation is broken!

Code: Select all

<?
$filename = "$DOCUMENT_ROOT/.../$file";
if (!file_exists($filename) or !$file)
	echo "File '$file' does not exist";
else
{
	$size = filesize($filename);

if ($HTTP_RANGE)
	{
		if (substr($HTTP_RANGE,0,6) != "bytes=")
		{	//unknown type of range, send full file instead
			header( "HTTP/1.1 416 Requested range not satisfiable" );
			header( "Content-Tange: bytes */$size" );
		}
		else
		{	list($start,$end) = explode('-',substr($HTTP_RANGE,6));
			$start = intval($start);
			$end = intval($end);
			if (!$end) $end = $size-1;
			if ($start > 0 or $end < $size-1) $partial = 1;

if ($start >= $size or $end < $start)
			{	header( "HTTP/1.1 416 Requested range not satisfiable" );
				exit;
			}
		}
	}

if ($partial)
	{	header( "HTTP/1.1 206 Partial content" );
		header( "Accept-Ranges: bytes" );
		header( "Content-Type: application/x-gzip" );
		header( "Content-Range: bytes $start-$end/$size" );
		header( "Content-Length: ".($end-$start+1) );
		header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$file");
		if ($fp = fopen($filename, "rb"))
		{	fread($fp, $start);
			echo fread($fp, $end-$start+1);
			fclose($fp);
		}
		if () $completed = 1;
	}
	else
	{	header( "Accept-Ranges: bytes" );
		header( "Content-Type: application/x-gzip" );
		header( "Content-Length: $size" );
		header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$file");
		readfile($filename);
		$completed = 1;
	}	

//here: if ($completed==1) record this video as having been downloaded by user
}
?>
Be careful to change the value of "Content-Type" and the default filename specified in "Content-Disposition"

gypsy
Org Profile

Post by gypsy » Fri May 23, 2003 4:05 pm

Yip.

I would use a download manager but the links has been so well hidden that they dont pick up the download.

You know of a downloaded that can do this.

Wait...

on second thought, dont tell me. The links were made that way for a reason. So people wont take advantage of this great happening.

I'll wait on phade's answer and see what happens.

P.S. I'm not the only person that's from accross the atlantic. Just search the loacations.

Cheers vir eers
gypsy

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Fri May 23, 2003 4:13 pm

gypsy wrote:P.S. I'm not the only person that's from accross the atlantic. Just search the loacations.
~ you are only limited by your ignorance ~
lol, you're right.

i guess i should explore the site more often.

/end
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 23, 2003 4:50 pm

Hey,

Gaaaah! Someone who is in legitimate need of the "resume" function AND some example code to do it. I have no other choice but to figure out an acceptable "resume" policy.

Ok, I will start working on getting resume to work, but it may take some time and it may be restricted.

Hey gypsy, what download management program are you using so that I can test it? In the mean time, I will be testing using Mozilla since that's the only manager I have right now. More work... ;-)

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Dan42
Org Profile

Post by Dan42 » Fri May 23, 2003 5:14 pm

I just noticed I left a line unfinished in my example:
if () $completed = 1;
should be:
if ($end == $size-1) $completed = 1;

^_^'
Dan42
Encyclopedist & PHP/SQL guy @ Anime News Network
Webmaster @ Dan42's Jin-Roh Lair & Chiyoko, Millennium Actress

gypsy
Org Profile

Post by gypsy » Sat May 24, 2003 1:58 am

This is SUPA COOL NEWS !!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanx alot phade.

I use freshdownload sinc it's the only decent download manager after DAP that works with no problems in XP. I use it with 1 connection ONLY when downloading AMV's.

You can get it @ www.freshdevices.com

Using multiple connections never get the speed above 4k anyway and I get the same speed on 1 connection.

If you want to make use of a specific download manager then Ill gladly change to whatever it might be. (As long as it's not getright. It crashed after every download in XP)

Maby now I'll be able to download all the cool stuff that's on the local server. (Like Kevin's Engel)

Thanx in advance again.

Cheers vir eers
Gypsy

gypsy
Org Profile

Post by gypsy » Sat May 24, 2003 2:06 am

I forgot the thank Dan43 for the code.

Hopefully this'll work soon.

I've finished downloading ALL the video's on the top 10% list (except those on local) and I need something to download :)

thanx again Dan42

Brsrk
Org Profile

Post by Brsrk » Sat May 24, 2003 9:52 am

I have dialup, but my connetion doesn't time out, it stays connected, except for the usual 10-12 hour disconnect. I would prefer using a download manager because I can get better thigns with GetRight than I can with normal IE download stuff...

Getright is a multi-source thing and can connect to a server multiple times, but I only do that with files over 100 mb (and I have yet to see a file over 100 mb at the ORG, so nothing to worry about here). I would like resume, plus I was 93% done downloading an AMV and my internet kicked, had to start over at 0- and took anohter 3-4 hours to get it...

28.8 is teh devil for me and resume would be nice...
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”