password change?

Arigatomina
Org Profile

password change?

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:46 am

I got an email about a QC and went to check it and suddenly I was forced (?) to change my password for this site. Has something happened lately? I know some sites force you to change your password regularly, but I didn't think the org would be one of those sites. Did I miss some hacking thing? Or is this site just joining the crowd to be more modern and mobile/regularly-updated? I was (obviously) able to enter a new password in order to continue having access to this site. So I don't mind having to update my password. I just want to know why I was forced to change my password after so many years. I went from using an org-specific password to using the same one I use for multiple "fandom" websites I see no reason anyone would ever want to hack. Seriously, did something happen to make the org tighten security?

Disclaimer: Old person who doesn't regularly change passwords unless forced to do so because who cares what sort of amvs I made back in the day.

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: password change?

Post by Kireblue » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:49 am

Earlier this year, a very large number of accounts that hadn't been used recently started posting spam messages, so we forced a password change to make sure that all the accounts were secured.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Re: password change?

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:30 pm

Thank you for explaining. Getting my computer to remember a new password isn't as simple as it should be so I hate when websites make me change my password regularly. Glad to hear it was just a (hopefully) one-time spam incident. And I'm very glad that I was able to login using my old password and change it so easily.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”