I would like to make a case for Avatar to be included

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: I would like to make a case for Avatar to be included

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 am

Batman: Gotham Knight it's based off of an American property (thus making the source considered "blurry")...
So is Power Puff Girl Z, American Property produced by an American Company FOR a Japanese audience.
I also recall an X-men anime, and Supernatural anime as well.

As for Yogurting I believe a similar discussion came up at some point:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 15&t=91510

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... &p=1196334

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Batman: Gotham Knight it's based off of an American property (thus making the source considered "blurry")...
So is Power Puff Girl Z, American Property produced by an American Company FOR a Japanese audience.
I also recall an X-men anime, and Supernatural anime as well.
Those aren't blurry at all, all of the sources you listed were co-productions, not just plain outsourcing.
As for Yogurting I believe a similar discussion came up at some point:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 15&t=91510

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... &p=1196334
Yogurting OTOH is a tricky source... and the MMO has been shut down by now, too. :dino:
However, the line that brought the trailers (and the trailers only, not the MMO itself) to be allowed was that one of the two trailers was clearly targeted at the japanese (the other doesn't have a "clear" target but was allowed along as well for substantially being able to be considered the same exact source). The game had its japanese release only a few months after the korean one, and the trailer had already been circulating. Said trailer along with "anime graphic" (which is a really generic thing to say, really, even more so because anime graphics encompass many different styles), has a Japanese song by a Japanese singer as its base.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaqvQpPnXmI
You could very well just say that it's a music video to the song. Following this reasoning, it can be considered anime.

Such a reasoning cannot be applied for Avatar.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm not saying it should be applied to Avatar :P (the reasoning would have to be in reverse if they were, and that doesn't make sense to do?)

I'm just saying that the lines are often blurry, and to me they are still blurry even if you say "well they were co-productions, thus blah blah blah".

I'm just discussing what is blurry (imho). That's all. They are blurry to me because they are American IP done in an anime style.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Well yeah, if it's just that I can understand. But you can see how the anime based on american IPs, such as Supernatural, X-Men and Iron Man, are easier to decide upon (you just need to check how the production staff was composed), compared to a blurrier sources like Yogurting (which does need some further research and reasoning for it to be O.K.'d as anime). Neither of those are quite as clear and easy as, say, Evangelion or Sailor Moon, or whatever else, but the hardest sources are definitely the obscure ones which don't sport many info about the staff and release dates and so on, which isn't so much the case for the big american IPs getting anime adaptations, hence why I personally don't consider them all too blurry after all. The more googling is required to better understand just what a certain source is and how it was made, the more it really is a grey zone for me.

TheDevian
Org Profile

Post by TheDevian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 pm

lol, oh wow, ok first you said (essentially) 'The Japanese don't know what Anime is' and now you are saying 'we are Americans and we will misuse this word the way we want!', don't get me wrong I get/agree with your point, and I am not arguing nor trying to change anyone's mind (even if I do enjoy a good debate), but boy the wording. No wonder the world thinks we are arrogant. You're killing me, lol. Let's just say the Japanese shortened the word Animation to Anime, and we shortened Japanese Anime, to just Anime for the use of the discussion. (how about JAnime, sorry couldn't resist, jk around).

The X-Men anime would have to count, but not the rest of the x-men material. What would be pushing that line is if you did a mixed one with the X-men anime and TAS or one of the others, that was close to even or so, (not to mention the heavy art shift), the anime would really have to be the majority there, to not feel wrong. Mixing it with the normal movie on the other hand could make for an interesting project, I am seeing the people turning into the anime characters or back... Feel free to run with that if anyone wants to, doubt i will get to it any time soon, & it might be fun. ;) But what song would go with it?

but yeah there has been more and more crossing over as time goes on, and that is just bound to increase from here on out. Just like the line between live action and cgi are blurring badly, and soon we will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

And I say if you have to 'google' it at all, the line is pretty blurry... but then my eyes suck, so pretty much everything is blurry to me.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:48 pm

What the fuck.

Okay now you are putting weird ideas out there that I never said.

I NEVER said that the Japanese "don't know what Anime is". I just said Americans use the word anime DIFFERENTLY than the Japanese. Just because the Japanese consider anything animated to be anime, that doesn't mean Americans must do the same.

And just because this is an American based site, that has nothing to do with some crazy cockeyed idea that "Americans are superior". Where did you even get that in anything I said?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Changing the original meaning of a word when fitting it in one's own vocabulary isn't anything new nor exclusive to English. Since you like to talk about the word animation and anime I assume you already read this article on wikipedia and thus know everything about how this works. People just decided that japanimation sounded pretty bad so sticked to anime instead.

I'm not sure what kinda point you're trying to make with X-Men: so long as the video is 50%+1 anime, you can definitely mix non anime sources (thus the x-men non-anime shows and the movies as well, in your example) and list and upload it here. Hell, I even cut the line pretty close with a video myself (not a good video, mind you, but an amv nonetheless), in which I mixed various anime to some OLA things I recorded with a friend (actually had a nifty transition from a haruhi AF to the dance scene in the anime), so yes, doing such things is allowed and will always be, so long as you stick to anime as the majority of the source.

As far as googling goes, x-men and various co-producted sources actually don't require me to google. Just checking the staff in the anidb entry is enough, and I always make a point to check the anidb (as well as the ann entry too in case the anime is licensed and thus should be entered with the English title) before confirming to have a consistent romanization and make sure it is anime (even if I already know it is). With sources which are not on anidb nor ann, I will then start the actual googling for more info. This can happen in case of manga (though these tend to be included in the ann database to begin with), videogames, and other obscure sources which might still count.

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:59 am

Point is, Avatar isn't an anime by American/org standards, and therefore isn't allowed to be added to the database unless it's in a video that contains at least 50% actual anime footage. In fact, it doesn't even fucking matter, because you can make a music video with a live action movie, an American cartoon, whatever, and still announce it here, 50% or not.
So quit bitching, go make the video, upload it on youtube, and announce it in the General Discussion section of the site.
Image Image

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:59 am

Oh, I feel stupid, this thread is a bit dead. Ignore me :ying:
Image Image

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”