Here is some feedback for ya...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Here is some feedback for ya...

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:So what's the going rate for a front page interview then?
A good attitude, politely asking and being of newsworthy interest to any member of animemusicvideos.org? I'm just guessing.
[citation needed]

Comments so far seem to paint a completely different picture.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:14 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:Actually, they are big fans and supporters of the Org, not to mention video editors themselves. So, it has a lot to do with us. :)

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:23 pm

macchinainterna wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote:Actually, they are big fans and supporters of the Org, not to mention video editors themselves. So, it has a lot to do with us. :)
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://www.dz-studios.com/macchinainter ... really.jpg

My thoughts exactly. When the hell have they been posting on the forum in support of AMVs or giving reference to us in any of their work at all? They only come here to promote themselves and that hasn't even been for a while.

As Ileia has suggested multiple times over, why not put a poll on the mainpage so we can vote for who we want to see interviews from? And if you can't get the person with the most votes, god forbid, go to the person with the second most :/ Besides, our very own members have proved multiple times over that they don't exactly hate talking about themselves :P Might as well let them do what they enjoy so the rest of us can read a non-retarded article. Hell, I skipped the whateverboys interview and went back to read the old Pianos interview and that was some good stuff.

It's becoming more and more of a trend for higher ups to produce weeaboo-esque related material (such as the interview, the horrible award names for the VCAs, etc...) and ignore/brush aside excellent suggestions made by loyal members that have been here for years and are active on the forums and even IRC.

All the smiley faces and fan-gasming over these horrible selections will not change the that they are horrible selections.

Now I'm just going to wait for the eventual rebuttal of "oh, but the mods work hard and blah, blah, blah..." I have respect for very few of the mods on this site. A good leader listens to those most loyal/productive and tries to act on their suggestions. They don't say "Even though you all obviously disagree with me, you all should be happy! Even though you've seen no evidence for it, this is a good thing! :)"

Take more lessons from DokiDoki, Corran and even Pwolf. Mods/members like them look at the suggestions of other editors and see interesting ideas, then try to put them into action and last time I check....all of the suggestions originally brought up by members have been pretty damn big successes. And Pwolf isn't even a mod (and neither is Corran since he stepped down) but you get the point.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Where's pwolf's interview? He is the king after all. :|
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:07 pm

Weeaboo is a little overkill on the term, don't you think? It was one awards year and one interview, both of which they fixed pretty quickly [with the name-hover feature and the spoiler box for the interview]. ;P

I agree on the interviews though. There's a lot of good potential out there.

I think there are plenty of members [both on and off a-m-v.org and into international realms] that have a lot to say/offer, and they could do a lot of interesting things with it. I'd personally like to hear about the AMVApp development, how AMV culture is different in the other international centers, and even moreso of the a-m-v.org members that have moved to other sites like Youtube. HEck, I'd love to hear an interview about people that feel that level of "intimidation" from us, since we seem to get that a lot. Oh, and ZephryStar's anime project! And something like CastorTroy's professional editor thing, just different.

EDIT: And one from mirkoSP to explain how the hell to use Avisynth. |:>

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

As much as I hate to be negative,

the leetstreetboys last login was 2009-09-27 13:17:01.
That is nearly two years ago.
They have made a total of 30 posts on the forums. The majority of which was in two threads to promote themselves. This does not seem to me to be "Highly supportive" of the org if they barely participate in the community.

I must say I have to agree with Yue on multiple points.

Why not put some polls on the front page of the site asking the community who they want to be interviewed?
Why is this a thing that does not happen?
As a matter of fact why not put polls on the front page asking about all sorts of things?

I got many responses fairly quickly with a small survey I put on the forums.
Not only did I get these responses quickly, I got them dispite the people having to type a bunch of stuff and dispite alot of users not using the forums.
It's clear to me there is not a lack of willingness to provide some feedback.

Polls are an easy prebuilt way to find out if the community actually wants or will use what you are planning to change.

Another thing is,
We here have been hearing over and over that there is stuff going on for an org revamp behind the scenes.
My question is why does it have to be behind the scenes?

Thing like this often have a development log (and I should hope this one does as well)
Things like plans for the future, checklists for things that are done and need to be done, bugs and errors that are giving problems .
It would take 10 minutes to post that development log up on google docs so we can see progress and what's been happening.

I know many people here would like to at least have SOME idea of how everything is working out.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Weeaboo is a little overkill on the term, don't you think? It was one awards year and one interview, both of which they fixed pretty quickly [with the name-hover feature and the spoiler box for the interview]. ;P

I don't really think it's overkill since the only type of person that would truly enjoy both of those things would indeed, be a weeaboo :P

I just got back from an anime convention and I had my refresher course on "just how horribly nerdy weeaboo anime fans can be" and I'd say they'd laugh and weeze at both of those subjects right before they go running down the hall after the fat Asian man dressed as Kagome, in hopes to get a picture op with him.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote: Why not put some polls on the front page of the site asking the community who they want to be interviewed?
Why is this a thing that does not happen?
As a matter of fact why not put polls on the front page asking about all sorts of things?
Because that boils down to programming. As far as I know, the only people (somewhat) actively working on site code are Doki and myself. Because of code licensing issues, we can't really add more programmers (and we wouldn't really have anyone to manage them if we could).
Fall_Child42 wrote: I got many responses fairly quickly with a small survey I put on the forums.
Not only did I get these responses quickly, I got them dispite the people having to type a bunch of stuff and dispite alot of users not using the forums.
It's clear to me there is not a lack of willingness to provide some feedback.

Polls are an easy prebuilt way to find out if the community actually wants or will use what you are planning to change.
Forum polls would be what it comes down to for now, though I think the last time we tried using the built-in forum polls people couldn't vote due to some error. It'd have to be along the lines of what you did (though not nearly as deep/involved). Definitely an idea to keep in mind from now on.
Fall_Child42 wrote: Another thing is,
We here have been hearing over and over that there is stuff going on for an org revamp behind the scenes.
My question is why does it have to be behind the scenes?

Thing like this often have a development log (and I should hope this one does as well)
Things like plans for the future, checklists for things that are done and need to be done, bugs and errors that are giving problems .
It would take 10 minutes to post that development log up on google docs so we can see progress and what's been happening.

I know many people here would like to at least have SOME idea of how everything is working out.
I might as well just say this now. I'm the one primarily leading the rewrite effort.

Right now, the rewrite effort has stalled...so that's part of why you guys haven't been hearing anything.
Initially, I wanted to keep the word about the rewrite to just the mods/admins and people working on it so that in the case that it did stall (or die completely) people wouldn't be disappointed (or, perhaps more accurately, so that people didn't expect the rewrite to be completed.) Also, the initial plan for the rewrite was to just do a 1:1 copy of all .org features and functions...perhaps fix a few obvious shortcomings (like catalog entry) and make it open-source so we could take on programmers again.

I'm still working on becoming comfortable enough with the tools we're looking at using to lead people in the effort. I'm currently working with unit testing, and after that I want to recreate a current .org feature using principles of Test-Driven Development, and then I think I'll be able to successfully lead people in the effort. I'm not getting paid to do the rewrite, so I can only dedicate a little of my time to it right now. I can't say when I'll be able to start up the rewrite again.

If anyone would like to know more, I'd be happy to talk to people over PM, AIM or IRC (when I'm on)

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Personally, the whole interview thing annoys me because after so long and not having any interviews, the first one to come up feels like it's just there because an admin is a fan of them. I feel like this thread has turned into a LSB bash so I feel like to say that I have absolutely nothing against them and what they do, it just feels very odd and out of context no matter how they might relate to this community. As people have mention before, they aren't active members of the community in any way, they don't even make AMVs (in the traditional sense, not based on site rules). The content they make is more or less an OVA/OAV then anything. Honestly, I'd be just as upset if some random amvnews or amv france editor was interviewed. The interviews should be relevant to our community, in my opinion at least.

I liked the interviews in the past and I wish more would pop up. I just feel like they should be more relevant to whats going on in the community rather then just random. Don't interview me just for the sake of it. Interview me based on something i've accomplished or something I'm involved in. I'd like someone to interview the mods and admins. Give us some information about what the daily/weekly happenings these people have to deal with. I'd like someone to interview VCA winners. Especially the ones who win the best new video/most improved editor awards. I want to know what they think about their accomplishments and if they think they deserve it. I want to know what goes through Brad's head when he's putting together the online ic tourney... what are the challenges he faces. What the hell does Derobert actually do? Interview an AMV Contest coordinator or two, or three. How do they approach different challenges and situations.

If interviews are something that people are interested in, lets see what people want and take in interview suggestions. The whole point of the redesign mess I started was to get more community involvement. People really got into it. Even if things don't change for a while, it was something that allowed people to throw ideas out there and discuss problems and solutions. Since those thigns aren't going to happen for a while, lets at least use what the org already offers and get people more involved.

As far as the AMV .Org App being taken off the front page, I didn't realize news items went away after a couple days (discussed it with Tim a couple days ago). It seems like some items stay on forever and it was just good (or bad) timing that the interview went up the same time the news item was taken down automatically. I'm sorry for coming to conclusions and thinking it was taken down intentionally.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm

Pwolf wrote: I liked the interviews in the past and I wish more would pop up. I just feel like they should be more relevant to whats going on in the community rather then just random. Don't interview me just for the sake of it. Interview me based on something i've accomplished or something I'm involved in. I'd like someone to interview the mods and admins. Give us some information about what the daily/weekly happenings these people have to deal with. I'd like someone to interview VCA winners. Especially the ones who win the best new video/most improved editor awards. I want to know what they think about their accomplishments and if they think they deserve it. I want to know what goes through Brad's head when he's putting together the online ic tourney... what are the challenges he faces. What the hell does Derobert actually do? Interview an AMV Contest coordinator or two, or three. How do they approach different challenges and situations.
All of these suggestions are fantastic. :shark:

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”