Subforums for MMV and CMV ?

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Subforums for MMV and CMV ?

Post by Snowcrash » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Everything is in the title.

So I thought it could be interesting to create a subforum for MMV in the AMV annoucement. I know it exists already a MMV thread but honsetly it is not very attractive to post our creation. Honestly when someone post one of his creation you get like, what, 2-3 coms max ?
It could be nicer to open our own thread to announce any creation which is not an AMV.
Of course we won't upload them on the org catalog, but at least creators will get a better "view" for their creations and feedback.
It costs anything to org I guess.

I suggest two subforums in the AMV annoucement where each creator cad do their announce:
- one for MMV (Movie Music Video),
- one for CMV (Cartoon Music Video or Animated Music Video) which concerns all stuff which is not considerated as an anime (by extension which is not japanese).

You can stick some light rules about the presentation of the video (like source, music, streaming, ddl, etc... on the model of AMV announcement).

Of course the main purpose of Org is stimulate the creation of AMV. But it does not exist an english specialized website about MMV (as far I know) except Creaspace which is russian.
So I thought it could be a great idea to have at least a small section about the MMV/CMV for the org community.

Hope my suggestion will be considerated by admins and maybe shaped :bzz2:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: Subforums for MMV and CMV ?

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 pm

We've actually been trying to get one for quite a while now, but it's been oft ignored or rejected all together. For now, in General AMV, there is a live action video announcement thread. >_>'

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:57 pm

At the moment, there is nothing like that planned, if I remember the opinion of moderators and if it hasn't changed.

The MMV thread (or LAMV, because MMV = Manga Music Video) is enough at the moment. If you want more replies, you could post it as a separate thread in General section.
Of course the main purpose of Org is stimulate the creation of AMV. But it does not exist an english specialized website about MMV (as far I know) except Creaspace which is russian.
"It doesn't exist, so you should create it for us" is unfortunately not a valid reason for opening a subforum on themed forums. It's like asking to open a subforum for rating the quality of various brands of teas, if I overdo it. You can always open your own smaller forum (it's a few hours work today), IRC channel or site. Last time it was talked through there were considered no significant gains from opening such subforum, and so for the time being it won't be opened.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:02 pm

I know I'm late to this thread but it needs to be said. I strongly oppose this idea that a few mods ultimately decide whats best for the community. You can sit in your irc channel and discuss it alone but thats just going to ostracize what the community as a whole thinks and wants. This forum should be more interactive with the community and not rely on just mods for decisions on its future. You're moderators not governors for the org. Start using things like polls, you may find interesting results. Seriously.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:00 am

I'll write down one quote I remembered well from a few years ago when a fight spurred on smaller forums I know.
Forums are not democratic.
Which is completely true. We may make polls, you can force us into it, but unless you are mods, or in our case, more likely admins (because moderators can't do anything with forums structure), you can't do anything about it. The only solution if you dislike this system is to go somewhere else and make your own forums.

And then watch how people blame you for not being democratic and listening to the community when you deny them their WONDERFUL idea of forums for rating tea brands ;>

Btw, admins ARE governors of the Org - and they bear all the responsibility for it - from discontent users to massive exodus. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it is a fact - most of the communities that work overly democratic-y tend to lose focus of the original theme and change into clutters of subforums of subforums of off-topic.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Well when all thats left is mainly forum regulars, and people average 0-10 posts unless your popular on the announcement forums do you think your ideology is working? You're clearly being high and mighty. There is nothing wrong with a democratic forum. If a poll proved that the community was more in favor of a LAMV/MMV thread (that is still related to editing) then why not give them what they want.
Nya-chan Production wrote:Btw, admins ARE governors of the Org - and they bear all the responsibility for it - from discontent users to massive exodus. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it is a fact - most of the communities that work overly democratic-y tend to lose focus of the original theme and change into clutters of subforums of subforums of off-topic.
Thank god you're only a mod, I only hope kariudo and doki don't feel the same way. I have never ran into a forum that used polls and worked with the community instead of for/against them that strayed from what it was created for, the community. This kind of thinking is why this forum is practically dead. So what if the focus and theme is lightened up on, its still there. The a-m-v.org main page and all its features are still there. The only difference is the community has more ways to interact and discuss. Seriously, stop being the lock and start being the key.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:13 pm

EvaFan wrote:Well when all thats left is mainly forum regulars, and people average 0-10 posts unless your popular on the announcement forums do you think your ideology is working? You're clearly being high and mighty. There is nothing wrong with a democratic forum. If a poll proved that the community was more in favor of a LAMV/MMV thread (that is still related to editing) then why not give them what they want.
Nya-chan Production wrote:Btw, admins ARE governors of the Org - and they bear all the responsibility for it - from discontent users to massive exodus. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but it is a fact - most of the communities that work overly democratic-y tend to lose focus of the original theme and change into clutters of subforums of subforums of off-topic.
Thank god you're only a mod, I only hope kariudo and doki don't feel the same way. I have never ran into a forum that used polls and worked with the community instead of for/against them that strayed from what it was created for, the community. This kind of thinking is why this forum is practically dead. So what if the focus and theme is lightened up on, its still there. The a-m-v.org main page and all its features are still there. The only difference is the community has more ways to interact and discuss. Seriously, stop being the lock and start being the key.
OK, so you suppose forcing mods and admins to do as you wish is always right and that mods are never right when going against the users.

Honestly, over the past half of year, there were many introduced changes, mainly from doki. And still it's all about the same - wanting AMV unrelated changes. Nobody has gone out of THEIR way and created a small forums or anything for this "So great and TOTALLY living LAMV scene". You just suppose we have the will, manpower and enthusiasm to create few new subforums.

It reminds me of a small children wanting that shiny gun. Yes, I can give it to him, but then I will have to look after him all the time and fear what it'll do. Or I can take it away and the kid will cry and blame me for not giving him the chance to prove that "it'll be alright". I know that many of the users are adult and able to communicate, but still, it's unnecessary risk for a very minor part of the users.

The next thing - I have seen quite a few forums, that had a page or clearly given theme - and forums which were a clusterbomb of /b/-related quotes and huge signatures. And the page, who would've thought, was completely dead. Moderation is from the word "to moderate" - and it means moderating EVERYTHING, including stuff like this. I can't just go around this and say "Screw it, I don't care". It might be that the rest of mods even overrule me - hell yeah!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now see that long line?

I agree with you in many points as well - especially with the fact that incorporating a poll to see how big percentage of users want something is a nice idea. But I just can't grant you this, and threads as a mean for asking this important thing just don't work - that's a fact.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:35 pm

one of the rules for announcing a video is that it must be in the database. if we start allowing people to announce videos in the announcement thread that aren't allowed in the database (LAMV/CMVs) then we are going against the foundation and focus of the website. It seems like more people in the community would rather maintain the foundation the website was built on then change it, which means, not allowing people to announce LAMVs. That's what the off topic forum is for, use it.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:It reminds me of a small children wanting that shiny gun. Yes, I can give it to him, but then I will have to look after him all the time and fear what it'll do. Or I can take it away and the kid will cry and blame me for not giving him the chance to prove that "it'll be alright". I know that many of the users are adult and able to communicate, but still, it's unnecessary risk for a very minor part of the users.
This analogy is stupid, not only are you comparing the the vast community to children your comparing guns to threads. Honestly, I won't bother anymore, I've said what I've wanted to and its a shame that you think the way you do in my opinion.
Pwolf wrote:one of the rules for announcing a video is that it must be in the database. if we start allowing people to announce videos in the announcement thread that aren't allowed in the database (LAMV/CMVs) then we are going against the foundation and focus of the website. It seems like more people in the community would rather maintain the foundation the website was built on then change it, which means, not allowing people to announce LAMVs. That's what the off topic forum is for, use it.
When did it suddenly become ok for popular people to announce something not from the database then: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 3&t=104144 ? Is it ok to throw it in there as extra or something?

The idea of having a LAMV/MMV thread would be to separate them obviously, the rule for the amv announcement thread would remain the same. Also, since when do you speak for the vast majority of the community? Have you gone around surveying them or something or is your majority the scope of the IRC channel?

The whole "manpower" argument is bogus considering how many people here would be willing to help out. I can understand the "Well why don't you go create you're own forum" argument but that separates the communities. Why not share and discuss with the community you already are with and like?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 pm

EvaFan wrote:This kind of thinking is why this forum is practically dead.
If anything, participation in the forum has been one of the most consistent trends on this site. It wasn't until the forum was upgraded to phpbb3 out of necessity that this changed.
What is the more likely cause for fewer posts and threads? Is it because the admins and moderators don't cave in on non-amv subforums/the edit button or is it because the overall activity of the site continues to trend downward?

They've already done things that Phade probably wouldn't (e.g. bring back an OT forum). Demanding that the org be some sort of democracy or disparaging moderators and admins as power hungry people that don't share the interest of this site being prosperous again is not going to make things better.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”