Anime Naming Convention

How should anime titles be represented on the site?

Japanese Only
1%
English Only
4%
Japanese Primary (English Secondary)
29%
English Primary (Japanese Secondary)
65%

Total votes: 69

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Anime Naming Convention

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

As we are looking at possibly editing / revising the definition of Anime, and as naming conventions were brought up, I have made this poll to get a feel of what forum users here feel it should be. When voting, please do not just pick your personal preference, but what you think will be the most functional for this site.

I would also like to point out that this poll is to give us some feedback on the subject and does not guarantee whatever method is picked the most will be used as there are a number of other considerations that we will look at which include: ease of confirming, the target audience the site is geared to, opinions of Mods and Admins as well as practicality/difficulty in converting over to a new system of current data.

For the POLL itself:

Japanese Only - means only the Japanese title would be used (unless there is none - depending on the final definition of anime outcome)
English Only - Means the official English title (if there is none then the Japanese title would be default
Japanese Primary (English Secondary) - Preference will be given to Japanese title with official English title in brackets
English Primary (Japanese Secondary) - Preference will be given to the official English title with Japanese title in brackets

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Re: Anime Naming Convention

Post by NS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:08 am

english with japanese sub just makes the most sense IMO... a lot of people know the japanese names, but I imagine more people know the english ones more. Now the first two options make no sense to me, why not offer the alternative title if able to?

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 am

English names make sense to me being as most of our population is American and most of these people only know the English titles anyway

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:34 am

I prefer Japanese with the English titled subbed. You're putting it's true/original name first, and can still quite clearly see the english equivalent.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 am

Japanese first, as lots of English are mistook or debatable, while the original one is always clear.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

Can we add an option for my personal nickname?

If you say Kara no kiyokai, or Garden of sinners. I have no idea what you are talking about.

but if you say Stabby Mcgee I know precisely what series you are talking about.

anywho,
English first with japanese sub seems like it makes the most sense. I mean we all can't be Kionon.
:ying:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:13 am

Actually, question more for doki or dero - would it be possible to have some default setting on this (probably by the votes Eng [Jap], it seems) and be able to switch it? That shouldn't be that hard, right?

I'd even agree to help moderating names of anime if lacking of some titles would be a problem in this. And I mean it seriously.

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Well the japanese original name with the english subs sounds the most reasonable to me. After all, it's the original title, and while english name might be easier to get (in some cases, even though you *can* pick a different name from the orig. translation) it stills sounds better to me to show first the original creation name. And anyway, you still have the english one to search or guide you through names.

Atvaark
Org Profile

Post by Atvaark » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:11 pm

I want it to be clear that I voted for English primary, Japanese secondary only if Japanese is ordered by natural kana order when English titles are the same.

Otherwise, you know, people will get lost.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Actually, question more for doki or dero - would it be possible to have some default setting on this (probably by the votes Eng [Jap], it seems) and be able to switch it? That shouldn't be that hard, right?

I'd even agree to help moderating names of anime if lacking of some titles would be a problem in this. And I mean it seriously.
That would require a complete overhaul of how the catalogue works. As in, a fair chunk of the database would have to be rewritten/modified. The "Main [Secondary]" thing would be just stored like that as the name, it wouldn't be an automatic database detection. Of course, if doki/dero feel like modifying the catalog to reflect that, it would be awesome. Sure, it'd require a lot of effort to sift through the whole catalog to fix everything, but it is a thing we'll probably have to do regardless, considering what most of the votes seem to be.

Anyway, I personally would like a "Japanese [English]" naming convention.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”