Badge Contest

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Badge Contest

Post by Phade » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:37 pm

Hey All,

It has come to my attention that people are looking for a badge design to distinguish them at cons and such. Here are the contest rules:

* Must contain the full official AnimeMusicVideos.org logo.
* Must contain a spot for the wearer's name. Entries may contain a spot for an avatar image, but this is not necessary.
* Must not contain any anime characters or likenesses, though original characters are ok.
* Entries must be emailed to phadeguy@hotmail.com. PLEASE EMAIL A LINK TO THE IMAGE (otherwise Phade's email box will fill up really really fast)
* Entries may not be displayed to the general public before the conclusion of the contest. Entries that are displayed before the conclusion of the contest will be disqualified.
* The winning entry will be the chosen by and up to the sole judgement of Phade.
* Rules are subject to change at any time.
* Entries must be received on or before Monday, July 22, 2002.
* The winning entry will be announced Tuesday, July 23, 2002.

Gook luck and have fun!! :D

Phade.
Last edited by Phade on Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:35 pm

I have a question :)

What should we aim for size wise?

Should we optimize for the standard 2 inch round badge or make a rectangular (sp?) size? I guess graphics can always be shrunk but I was wondering in the interest of design layout.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:11 pm

Hey,

Hmmm, I think I will leave that up to the disgression of the badge artist.

Oh, another thing to keep in mind is printing. Some people have color printers, others just black and white. Also how the badge looks printed at 200 dpi vs. 1200 dpi in both color and b&w.

Phade.

Promodo
Org Profile

Mreeheehee...

Post by Promodo » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:59 pm

I have sent mine... tif format.. it's around a meg, but let it load, if you'd please. :twisted:

danielwang
Village Idiot
Org Profile

Post by danielwang » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:11 pm

What the hell are the app specs? Do we have to leave space for the horizontal slot punch, is there a polychem, dye sub or thermal laminate? Do we draft this on a cam plotter or normal printer?

Last time I designed a badge, I had angry attendees yelling at me over the phone and of course dozens of broken printers and inked up keynotes...

Which would work better:
--------------------------------------------
|....................punch........................|
|.....................................................|
/\/\/\/\/\

or a vertical card?

-----------------------------
|.............punch.............|
|...................................|
|...................................|

To made this badge look cool, can we allow for opalescent paint, holofoil or uv/glow imprint? I have it....

Do we each make our own or buy them?
Are thee/should there be
specifications to make sure they all look the same?

I really don't want thousands of different loking badges at the next con I go to... inkjet, color laser, copied, etc...

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:15 pm

I think Phade said lay out and size are left up to the artist. I am guessing Phade is doing the judging himself because it makes things faster and it's his site so he has the authority to say what he wants to represent. In fact the reason I am guessing this contest came up is to prevent you from seeing lots of different badge types and styles all representing this one place (since we were disussing it on the convention page)

Whatever the winning design is, I am sure some guidelines or suggestions will be released with the design to advise people how to wear them so they are consistent.

I also checked mine in b+w and low quality to make sure it was still legible at typical badge size or the Otakon registration card style. That is a hanging type and is about 3x5 inches.

I hope most people can print in color. I would even volunteer to print out some of the winning design and take for people to use.

***I'm no authority here..just expressing opinions**** But, I would say people can cheaply laminate or use thick paper and paste it onto a backing. Then take a safety pin and just slip it through the top and hang onto your shirt :) This would work with any style/size

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:59 pm

This might be fun. Hopefully I can come up with something before Monday...
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

Promodo
Org Profile

Post by Promodo » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:44 pm

I made mine 3 wide by 2 tall... place for name and studio, and 200 dpi quality.
I stole my pants from Napoleon, and started the capri trend.

danielwang
Village Idiot
Org Profile

Post by danielwang » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:02 am

I was considering having multiple designs, corner rounded or not, different bar layout... anyway what design do you like? how do you like your badges, how do you like your logos?
NDK, Otakon, AWA is hanging type? are most?

I wanted to have user choose color, but we want ubiquitous ness.
What the h*ll are the a-m-v.org Official Colors or something?!?!

Plain color or background of video reel, files?
FONT?!?!?!
ITALICS?
SIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
HYPNOTIC PINK SHADES WITH GARISHLY COLORED PUKE PURPLE?

If the rules allowed, I WOULD POST A FREAKING PIC HERE but I can't so I just have to do my cleint case study by having you answer the above questiongs RIGHT NOW.

Shouls it say member? Do you want avatar space? Real name or nick? What about member since?

Info example:
kris mccormick
new line cinema, a time warner company
phade
founder since 1955

Removable label with stats?
videos=427
karma=12345, part=274843
opinions=922, usefulness 1003.24

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:49 pm

hmn.......i guess while i design a badge for this site I can design one for my studio..........
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Return to “Site Announcements”