New Feature: Video Embedding

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Otohiko » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm

LittleAtari wrote:
jasper-isis wrote:I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
- watch/make/discuss AMVs and be happy.

It's not about funds, it's about attitudes. There is only so much that the administration itself can do.

Can I ask for stricter moding when it comes to this?


Will that really solve anything though? There are rules against it and people, generally speaking, do follow through. But slaps on the wrists and deleting threads are often/usually inefficient and even more often kind of just part-and-parcel of the lulzy etiquette of trolling. The only medicine for these things is not modding but rather the community itself. Don't feed the trolling, ignore the flames and post helpful responses when you think they're warranted. That's something we can all help with and I don't think this needs to be offloaded to modding. I'm not of the opinion that heavy-handed modding can do no wrong, and I think we've had plenty of proof of that. It's band-aid solutions to endemic problems, and sometimes can make it worse.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:24 pm

jasper-isis wrote:I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
- watch/make/discuss AMVs and be happy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Expecting the org to not be assholes, welcome new members, or discuss amvs. That's a good one. I love your little jokes, and it's not even April 1st today.

On a semi-serious note, few people change their behavior unless they're really given a reason to change their behavior.
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Otohiko » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:37 pm

godix wrote:
jasper-isis wrote:I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
- watch/make/discuss AMVs and be happy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Expecting the org to not be assholes, welcome new members, or discuss amvs. That's a good one. I love your little jokes, and it's not even April 1st today.

On a semi-serious note, few people change their behavior unless they're really given a reason to change their behavior.


People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Otohiko wrote:
godix wrote:
jasper-isis wrote:I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
- watch/make/discuss AMVs and be happy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Expecting the org to not be assholes, welcome new members, or discuss amvs. That's a good one. I love your little jokes, and it's not even April 1st today.

On a semi-serious note, few people change their behavior unless they're really given a reason to change their behavior.


People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.


The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas. I swear to god (not Godix), Pas is going to reply to this soon, though he might not simply because I said this, though he might because I said he wouldn't... I could go on and on but I'd rather not. The point is, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
User avatar
hasteroth
lost the bet
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Location: Around
Status: Neither here nor there

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Modding cuts both ways. Enforce divergence of all behavior you don't want - including that by new members who read and agreed to the rules upon signing up. Fair's fair.

Trolling new users isn't a good thing, but neither is joining a community and not lurking and reading to understand the community standards.

Any community based around a single topic is inherently unsustainable unless it's continuously changing anyways. You focus your attentions on the veterans and you alienate the new members that are too sensitive and can't adapt into a community; you focus on the new members, you alienate the veterans who are sick and tired of the same 6 topics coming up day after day. It happens everywhere.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:19 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Modding cuts both ways. Enforce divergence of all behavior you don't want - including that by new members who read and agreed to the rules upon signing up. Fair's fair.

Trolling new users isn't a good thing, but neither is joining a community and not lurking and reading to understand the community standards.

Any community based around a single topic is inherently unsustainable unless it's continuously changing anyways. You focus your attentions on the veterans and you alienate the new members that are too sensitive and can't adapt into a community; you focus on the new members, you alienate the veterans who are sick and tired of the same 6 topics coming up day after day. It happens everywhere.


But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
I came in, I was basically eaten alive, I've survived, and have no intention of leaving.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
User avatar
hasteroth
lost the bet
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Location: Around
Status: Neither here nor there

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:27 pm

hasteroth wrote:But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
I came in, I was basically eaten alive, I've survived, and have no intention of leaving.

Unfortunately.

But I do agree, to a certain extent. You learn by your failures. On the other hand, some people don't have as thick a skin as others. Just because you laughed off everything and didn't take offense, doesn't mean there aren't more sensitive people that will come to the .org and be heading out as they come in because they don't like our attitudes. You have to establish a middle ground between niceness and natural selection; we aren't nice people by nature, and we shouldn't be expected to constantly lead people by the hand about issues about an hour or so of lurking old posts could inform them about.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Image
Boredom.
User avatar
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Location: State of Denial
Status: Hooked on a Feeling

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:33 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:
hasteroth wrote:But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
I came in, I was basically eaten alive, I've survived, and have no intention of leaving.

Unfortunately.

But I do agree, to a certain extent. You learn by your failures. On the other hand, some people don't have as thick a skin as others. Just because you laughed off everything and didn't take offense, doesn't mean there aren't more sensitive people that will come to the .org and be heading out as they come in because they don't like our attitudes. You have to establish a middle ground between niceness and natural selection; we aren't nice people by nature, and we shouldn't be expected to constantly lead people by the hand about issues about an hour or so of lurking old posts could inform them about.


While I do agree on that point... I doubt you can convince everyone to follow that idea. Some people *cough*Godix*cough* won't follow that. There are too many assholes on this site, and they can't do anything about that. They can try but it probably would either not work or result in this site collapsing, and this site is too big to take that chance.

Wait... rhetorical question: How did this turn from a discussion about Video Embedding to a discussion about our attitudes?... :|
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
User avatar
hasteroth
lost the bet
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Location: Around
Status: Neither here nor there

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I really don't expect the answer to this is "yes", but is there any chance of, in the future, allowing the preview to be a video's ONLY viewing option (i.e., no LOCAL download available)?

I ask this because one reason I've heard a lot of people give for not putting their videos on A-M-V.org is that they don't want their videos to be easily downloadable-to-keep because they don't want people stealing their videos.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Scintilla wrote:I really don't expect the answer to this is "yes", but is there any chance of, in the future, allowing the preview to be a video's ONLY viewing option (i.e., no LOCAL download available)?

I ask this because one reason I've heard a lot of people give for not putting their videos on A-M-V.org is that they don't want their videos to be easily downloadable-to-keep because they don't want people stealing their videos.


Hmmm... but if there kept recorded in AMV org as being the one who made it well then that doesn't really matter does it? And there was probably some people in the past who stole another person's video before it was posted on this site and you can't do anything about that.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
User avatar
hasteroth
lost the bet
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Location: Around
Status: Neither here nor there

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Pas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 pm

hasteroth wrote:The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas.

Image
To be fair, I don't think my responses to you have been uncalled for. At all.

Let's lay this shit down in a format that is understandable for you. You may take offense whenever I reply your posts, but if you could look past the insults for a second you'd realize that I'm really trying to tell you to think before you post.

My problem with posters such as yourself is that you fail to realize that a forum is [dramatic pause] NOT in fact your personal MSN messenger. Nobody really cares what you ate for breakfast today, or how long you slept for the previous night. Threads are created for the single purpose of discussing the topic that the OP has set for the thread, and sharing relevant information. While of course the discussion can diverge through time, dragging perfectly good topics OT (and on a regular basis) is not what I consider good posting.

tl;dr We're not stepping on you, stop being so pretentious
Pas
のヮの
 
Joined: 01 Jul 2007

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 pm

hasteroth wrote:Hmmm... but if there kept recorded in AMV org as being the one who made it well then that doesn't really matter does it?

When has that stopped people from trying to claim other people's videos as their own (and having other people believe it)? You needn't go far on Hosatchel, I'm sure, to find examples.

To be clearer, I'm not talking about people falsely claiming credit for videos on THIS site; the mods have always been good about taking care of those cases. I'm talking about taking a video posted on this site and then claiming it on other sites like Yuu'utsube.

hasteroth wrote:And there was probably some people in the past who stole another person's video before it was posted on this site and you can't do anything about that.

You can't steal a video that you can't get a copy of. While it's still possible to get a copy to keep with videos on U2be, it's not trivial or obvious, and it seems people are willing to take that over how it is here.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Otohiko wrote:People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.

I do not disagree with this, but I will note that there have been rather helpful members over the past few years and invariably the attitude towards them is 'They're doing good, now I can continue being a dick...' I question what real influence I have as well, while I am one of the more notable dicks around, I'm part of a trend rather than a leader. I do know the few times I've tried to do something good for the org has never really caused anyone to follow in kind.

Anyway, few will decide to change their behavior unless they realize their behavior is destructive. Which is part of where modding comes in. There is a difference between being a dick towards people who know it's mostly a joke and flaming a noob for asking a question. A few years ago I thought the org community was overly restrictive towards the former, notably in the anti-OT days, while currently I think the org is overly permissive in the latter.

The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas.

Part of the orgs problem is that a lot of us are dicks, but part of the problem is also some users are just fucking morons. If you want a community where the fucking morons can ran around without anyone calling them on being fucking morons then go dick around on boochsack. If you quit acting like a fucking moron on the org then I'd quit treating you like a fucking moron. Inflammatory I know, but it also happens to be true. Case in point, you totally failed to understand or really address Scintilla's point. Despite being so retarded that such a simple concept eluded you, you felt the need to bother us with your meaning drivel anyway.

As for Scintilla's point, sometimes you just gotta look at someone and go 'that's stupid'. I think worries that the org is somehow easier to steal stuff from than the tube is one of those cases. Perhaps educating these people on their mistake may be in order; swipe the vid, upload it to a fake tube account, and point them to that with a 'see how easy it is to steal your work anyway?' message. To change to orgs policies to account for sheer stupidity seems rather counterproductive.
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 pm

godix wrote:As for Scintilla's point, sometimes you just gotta look at someone and go 'that's stupid'. I think worries that the org is somehow easier to steal stuff from than the tube is one of those cases. Perhaps educating these people on their mistake may be in order; swipe the vid, upload it to a fake tube account, and point them to that with a 'see how easy it is to steal your work anyway?' message.

I guess I didn't state this explicitly, but the people I've talked to are well aware that it's still possible to steal vids from U2be. But they also know that, like I said, it's not trivial or obvious. Their attitude is "why make it easier?".

I guess the convenience of having the actual file on your hard drive to play back whenever you want is lost on the new generation of fans who are growing used to having constant connectivity anyway.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Postby godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:14 pm

Scintilla wrote:I guess I didn't state this explicitly, but the people I've talked to are well aware that it's still possible to steal vids from U2be. But they also know that, like I said, it's not trivial or obvious. Their attitude is "why make it easier?".

I guess the convenience of having the actual file on your hard drive to play back whenever you want is lost on the new generation of fans who are growing used to having constant connectivity anyway.

Hmm, I still think it's rather stupid. I installed an easily found greasemonkey script and now, by default, when I view tube pages there's a little 'save this video' option on the screen. But I guess few people realize how easy it really can be so the concern is at least understandable, although still stupid.

As you say, it may just be a difference in mentalities as well. Older techies remember the days when there was a notable difference between online and offline material while these days always connected net access is common so the difference has blurred. I guess it's a 'back in my days we didn't have streaming, it took 30 minutes to download a single song and we liked it!' moment.
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests