Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: New Feature: Video Embedding

Post by Otohiko » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm

LittleAtari wrote:
jasper-isis wrote: I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
- watch/make/discuss AMVs and be happy.

It's not about funds, it's about attitudes. There is only so much that the administration itself can do.
Can I ask for stricter moding when it comes to this?
Will that really solve anything though? There are rules against it and people, generally speaking, do follow through. But slaps on the wrists and deleting threads are often/usually inefficient and even more often kind of just part-and-parcel of the lulzy etiquette of trolling. The only medicine for these things is not modding but rather the community itself. Don't feed the trolling, ignore the flames and post helpful responses when you think they're warranted. That's something we can all help with and I don't think this needs to be offloaded to modding. I'm not of the opinion that heavy-handed modding can do no wrong, and I think we've had plenty of proof of that. It's band-aid solutions to endemic problems, and sometimes can make it worse.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:24 pm

jasper-isis wrote:I'm in favor of option 4, which entails:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
- improve the site with features/policies that are tailored to our needs as an AMV community on a constantly evolving internet
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Expecting the org to not be assholes, welcome new members, or discuss amvs. That's a good one. I love your little jokes, and it's not even April 1st today.

On a semi-serious note, few people change their behavior unless they're really given a reason to change their behavior.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:37 pm

godix wrote:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. Expecting the org to not be assholes, welcome new members, or discuss amvs. That's a good one. I love your little jokes, and it's not even April 1st today.

On a semi-serious note, few people change their behavior unless they're really given a reason to change their behavior.
People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Otohiko wrote:
godix wrote:
- don't be assholes
- welcome new members

People that change their behaviour usually do so consciously of their own accord. Which also goes to say that if you want to see a social change in a small community, behave that way actively. This is a fairly small community on the forums and you can have an impact on it if you try and a few other people follow. Godix is kind of an ironically-backwards example of that.
The problem is whenever anybody tries they just get stepped on by people like Godix and Pas. I swear to god (not Godix), Pas is going to reply to this soon, though he might not simply because I said this, though he might because I said he wouldn't... I could go on and on but I'd rather not. The point is, it's not as easy as you make it sound.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Modding cuts both ways. Enforce divergence of all behavior you don't want - including that by new members who read and agreed to the rules upon signing up. Fair's fair.

Trolling new users isn't a good thing, but neither is joining a community and not lurking and reading to understand the community standards.

Any community based around a single topic is inherently unsustainable unless it's continuously changing anyways. You focus your attentions on the veterans and you alienate the new members that are too sensitive and can't adapt into a community; you focus on the new members, you alienate the veterans who are sick and tired of the same 6 topics coming up day after day. It happens everywhere.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:19 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Modding cuts both ways. Enforce divergence of all behavior you don't want - including that by new members who read and agreed to the rules upon signing up. Fair's fair.

Trolling new users isn't a good thing, but neither is joining a community and not lurking and reading to understand the community standards.

Any community based around a single topic is inherently unsustainable unless it's continuously changing anyways. You focus your attentions on the veterans and you alienate the new members that are too sensitive and can't adapt into a community; you focus on the new members, you alienate the veterans who are sick and tired of the same 6 topics coming up day after day. It happens everywhere.
But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
I came in, I was basically eaten alive, I've survived, and have no intention of leaving.

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:27 pm

hasteroth wrote: But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
I came in, I was basically eaten alive, I've survived, and have no intention of leaving.
Unfortunately.

But I do agree, to a certain extent. You learn by your failures. On the other hand, some people don't have as thick a skin as others. Just because you laughed off everything and didn't take offense, doesn't mean there aren't more sensitive people that will come to the .org and be heading out as they come in because they don't like our attitudes. You have to establish a middle ground between niceness and natural selection; we aren't nice people by nature, and we shouldn't be expected to constantly lead people by the hand about issues about an hour or so of lurking old posts could inform them about.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:33 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:
hasteroth wrote: But doesn't that help weed out the weak? You know... natural selection and all? (I never said I was always nice.)
Unfortunately.

But I do agree, to a certain extent. You learn by your failures. On the other hand, some people don't have as thick a skin as others. Just because you laughed off everything and didn't take offense, doesn't mean there aren't more sensitive people that will come to the .org and be heading out as they come in because they don't like our attitudes. You have to establish a middle ground between niceness and natural selection; we aren't nice people by nature, and we shouldn't be expected to constantly lead people by the hand about issues about an hour or so of lurking old posts could inform them about.
While I do agree on that point... I doubt you can convince everyone to follow that idea. Some people *cough*Godix*cough* won't follow that. There are too many assholes on this site, and they can't do anything about that. They can try but it probably would either not work or result in this site collapsing, and this site is too big to take that chance.

Wait... rhetorical question: How did this turn from a discussion about Video Embedding to a discussion about our attitudes?... :|

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm

I really don't expect the answer to this is "yes", but is there any chance of, in the future, allowing the preview to be a video's ONLY viewing option (i.e., no LOCAL download available)?

I ask this because one reason I've heard a lot of people give for not putting their videos on A-M-V.org is that they don't want their videos to be easily downloadable-to-keep because they don't want people stealing their videos.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Scintilla wrote:I really don't expect the answer to this is "yes", but is there any chance of, in the future, allowing the preview to be a video's ONLY viewing option (i.e., no LOCAL download available)?

I ask this because one reason I've heard a lot of people give for not putting their videos on A-M-V.org is that they don't want their videos to be easily downloadable-to-keep because they don't want people stealing their videos.
Hmmm... but if there kept recorded in AMV org as being the one who made it well then that doesn't really matter does it? And there was probably some people in the past who stole another person's video before it was posted on this site and you can't do anything about that.

Return to “Site Announcements”