New feature: Streaming Video

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Re: New feature: Streaming Video

Post by Bakadeshi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:17 pm

The main thing i like about this idea, is that it will allow me to check out more vids than i was previously able to do in the Announcements thread without having to worry about space actually downloading the vids. Not to mention I can choose wich ones I want to download and keep by how much I liked the preview. I kinda wish it was not limited to donators, for the reason above, but the fact that you allow the donators to allow non donators to be able to stream the vid kinda makes up for it.

all in all :up: on the implimentation of this.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:53 am

:up: :up: :up:

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 am

Bakadeshi wrote:The main thing i like about this idea, is that it will allow me to check out more vids than i was previously able to do in the Announcements thread without having to worry about space actually downloading the vids. Not to mention I can choose wich ones I want to download and keep by how much I liked the preview. I kinda wish it was not limited to donators, for the reason above, but the fact that you allow the donators to allow non donators to be able to stream the vid kinda makes up for it.

all in all :up: on the implimentation of this.
That's exactly how it wound up working for me. I actually went out and looked for videos that weren't made by the same few editors. (I think you know who they are.)
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:05 pm

I have to say, I'm really liking this new feature as well. I ended up spending a good chunk of this weekend re-watching some of the classics. Plenty of new videos too. I'm looking forward to see how all this will take shape over time, not to mention how it will effect my own viewing and downloading habits.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Is there anyway to add a Stat telling us how many time our videos or a video has been streamed?

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:57 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:Is there anyway to add a Stat telling us how many time our videos or a video has been streamed?
I know you can check how many times your own video has been previewed by going to 'edit videos'. The number shows up right next to the word 'preview' just like how it does for local

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:30 pm

derobert wrote:And I just added two more cores. I bet we'll have 3k videos done before I go to bed tonight.
dero = beast

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 pm

I say thank you for the new feature.

I like video streaming here. I can´t really understand why you should turn it off for your videos. I better donate for turning it on for every video.

It´s a good deal for the viewer. I don´t want them to waste their time on downloading one of my videos if they don´t even like it. It´s alright and I spare their time and bandwith.

No need to get more downloads. Why for? I prefer viewers who aren´t annoyed of my vids, because they´re just not their cup of tea.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:05 am

This is great! No longer will the vids seriously eat into my download limit - I'll just preview with streaming, and if I want to keep it, I'll download later. 8-)

Uhh... the streaming version is actually lower in filesize than the regular video, isn't it? I mean, YT's are for sure, but yours are higher quality... what's the average size?
(and yes, I could stop watching before 30 seconds, and leave a star after seeing the downloadable version)

TL;DR mode -

-happy with the quality - very crisp, even though not exactly the same, it's the best I've seen
-embedding - would attract more attention to the site, but I guess I'd be concerned about that Evanescence thing happening again if non-members could see them. idk if that should be a consideration - I guess the sword of Damoclese is always hanging over our heads. xD
-it wasn't clear to me I'd have to enable non-donators to see them - with "opt out" it gives the impression that allowing it was the default.
"Users are allowed to opt out of this system if for some reason they don't want watch preview or let users stream their videos. The option to do this can be found on the Edit Profile page."
This seems like a massive feat, so well done guys, and thank you again. :D

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:09 am

*and what was that thing about the org not being registered as a non-profit organisation? Wouldn't that offer protection?

...I read it somewhere, ages ago >.> I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Just a quick answer would be great.

Return to “Site Announcements”