New feature: Streaming Video

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Re: New feature: Streaming Video

Post by LittleAtari » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:40 am

Pas wrote:Pretty neat. Just a quick question though, does it require that the viewer finish watching the video before giving a comment/rating or can they do so while streaming the video?

I ask because I'm somewhat cautious that people will rate and comment before even finishing the video. People these days don't seem to have an attention span any longer than 5 seco- oh look a bird!
I believe it allows you to rate it after 30 seconds. It's true that people will rate a video without finishing, but people will stop watching a downloaded video also and then come back rate it. So I dont think it's much of a change.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 am

LittleAtari wrote:people will stop watching a downloaded video also and then come back rate it.
I have never done this, nor do I see the point in doing so. I mean most AMVs span only a mere 3-4 minutes. Would it truly be that difficult to sit down for that time and just watch something?

I'm not so much complaining as trying to raise the issue of encouraging people to become more impatient and assume their stance well before the video has ended. After all, many good AMVs only really build up towards the end.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:16 am

That's interesting news...

if for the good or the bad, we're going to see that soon enough.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 am

Great job Eric!

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 am

Pas wrote:
LittleAtari wrote:people will stop watching a downloaded video also and then come back rate it.
I have never done this, nor do I see the point in doing so. I mean most AMVs span only a mere 3-4 minutes. Would it truly be that difficult to sit down for that time and just watch something?

I'm not so much complaining as trying to raise the issue of encouraging people to become more impatient and assume their stance well before the video has ended. After all, many good AMVs only really build up towards the end.
Try watching the first 30 seconds of Attack of the Otaku, Euphoria, or Naruto's Technique Beat and you'll notice it's pretty representative of the video as a whole. 30 seconds is 15% to 20% of most videos. If you've seen nothing to grab your attention in that significant of a percentage what are the odds you're going to like it if you finish it?

Anyway, I've said it in IRC but I'll repeat myself. Nice job guys. I wasn't one of the people who supported streaming, however with the way it was implemented I think it'll work out rather well.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:42 am

A++

Love the "Stream a Random video" option!

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:19 am

godix wrote:Try watching the first 30 seconds of Attack of the Otaku, Euphoria, or Naruto's Technique Beat and you'll notice it's pretty representative of the video as a whole. 30 seconds is 15% to 20% of most videos. If you've seen nothing to grab your attention in that significant of a percentage what are the odds you're going to like it if you finish it?
That may be true for the videos you mentioned, but there are a wider array of videos that require buildup. More specifically it's the ones that tell a story which require the viewer to really sit down and watch the video in its entirety before passing a judgment.

Such videos could include tayo's "Part of You, Shadow of Me", Nessephanie's "Sunrise" and kiarrens's "Ouran Day", all of which really need to be seen from beginning to end to fully appreciate the effort put into them. Just watching the first 30 seconds of each isn't exactly a sufficient time frame to really understand what's going on in the videos, at least not for all of them.

Once again I have to emphasis that I'm not trying to be ungrateful towards the admins for setting up this feature, but I don't want to see people simply judging a video after only watching the first 30 seconds of it. Of course, not everyone will be doing that (even when given the opportunity) but it seems to encourage people to pass a quick judgment on videos when otherwise would require some thought and consideration.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 am

If the combination of song and anime or the concept of the video if described in the video info page doesn't make the viewer watch it for longer than 30 seconds, then I'm not sure if watching the entire thing will change their opinion of the video. Yeah, they may see that it was a very well executed video, but if it's not their cup of tea, then oh well. Let the chips (or stars) fall where they may.

I'm pretty much in the camp of "using it for previewing questionable videos, but not gonna use it for more than that". Although, I have seen some decent videos that unfortunately were marred by use of fansubbed anime for source. That and the occasional bad edit. Those are probably best viewed streamed. Of course the really bad ones aren't worth seeing more than a few seconds and those are perfect for streaming since I can stop the video without getting the entire file sent to me. Then again, to rate those videos I'll have to let it go for at least 30 seconds... :|

Still, it's nice to see this available. :up:
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:56 am

Okay, but can people leave opinions after only having seen the preview?

(Personally, I wouldn't want someone leaving a review after only 30 seconds; but if they watch the whole thing, then I wouldn't mind.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

prowild
Org Profile

Post by prowild » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:59 am

this is really awesome :up: a nice feature i was looking for on a-m-v.org ^-^
Sorry For My Englishzzzzzz ;)

Return to “Site Announcements”