New feature: Streaming Video

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Re: New feature: Streaming Video

Post by derobert » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:04 am

dazza1008 wrote:Uhh... the streaming version is actually lower in filesize than the regular video, isn't it?
Yes. The streaming versions are at either 402kbit or 600kbit video, 48 kbit audio. They're VBR (especially the 600kbit ones), so some parts are higher (and other parts lower). Most videos are 402; a few are automatically upped to 600 based on SSIM.

So, for a 3 minute video, it'd be 10MB or 14 MB depending on if its 402 or 600kbit video.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:40 pm

dazza1008 wrote:*and what was that thing about the org not being registered as a non-profit organisation? Wouldn't that offer protection?
How would being a non-profit organization be any defence of unauthorizedly reproducing copyrighted material (= the music)?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

tomane26
Org Profile

Post by tomane26 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:50 pm

One more post to say how fantastic this feature is! :up:

Just to evoke the green side of the question: no more state of the art computer needed to watch all those videos equals a great decrease of power consumption at the user end! Less hard drive usage and next to nothing CPU usage. Dye H.264/AAC :twisted:

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:59 pm

tomane26 wrote:Dye H.264/AAC :twisted:
The streams are H.264/AAC.

:amv:

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 pm

derobert wrote:So, for a 3 minute video, it'd be 10MB or 14 MB depending on if its 402 or 600kbit video.
That's great! :D
Scintilla wrote:How would being a non-profit organization be any defence of unauthorizedly reproducing copyrighted material (= the music)?
Um... because then they're legally bound or something to put all earnings back into the organisation. I'm sure it works that way anyway, but it might encourage the copyright holders to turn a blind eye, since it's obviously just a hobby. I'm sure there are no guarantees when it comes to avoiding prosecution, though.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 am

Corran wrote:

Indeed. Just because people use it for encoding HQ stuff (which, obviously, needs HQ PC stuff to play), it doesn't mean that it can't be used to encode LQ stuff as well (which will be playable by almost everyone - with the right codecs).

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Corran wrote:

i think he meant that he wanted them dyed, as in all a specific color so he can recognize them right away :3

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:52 pm

One thing I'm kinda scared of [me scared? yesh, bah*]

Will this render the opinions obsolete? I like my opinions vs. stars. [Stars usually don't explain crap] Would this cause ops to simply appear less since we now have this faster user-friendlier star system?

It's probably something I shouldn't mention nor care about since I haven't finished anything in like 4 years [shake*shudder] but do you think this would cause less 'valuable criticisms' to appear more often?

Then again, if the person truly loves the vid, they'd probably take the time to leave a detailed opinion anyway.

GREAT feature btw, streamed previews are sexy...
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

A Few personal observations:

For me opinions greatly diminished when QCs became available...

QCs have been panning off for me for a while now (at least on not so freshly released videos)

however ever since streaming has become available I've gotten an increase in QCs while the number of opinions I usually receive has remained about the same since QCs came around....

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 am

I don't know if that has been mentioned before, but I think one shouldn't be able to leave an opinion after having only watched the preview.

How are you gonna rate the visual and audio quality? It's just a preview file, if you don't download the original video file you wouldn't know about it.

I think downloading should be necessary in order to OP the video.

Return to “Site Announcements”