Kero is back [now with uploads]

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Kero is back [now with uploads]

Post by derobert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:46 am

Its finally time to install the new hard disks. This weekend, Kero will be completely offline for an upgrade. Thus over half of the videos — the newer ones — will not have their local downloads available starting sometime Friday afternoon (eastern time).

As of now, FTP on Kero has been stopped; you will not be able to upload new videos. (You may still confirm ones that you've already uploaded, though that will be turned off sometime today, too.)

After Kero is reinstalled, hopefully Monday morning, some recent videos will be unavailable; they will be restored over the coming week. Uploads will be re-enabled once that is complete.

Thankfully, this will give us enough disk space that we won't run out again for a very long time.

EDIT: Kero has been upgraded and placed back in the server facility. Downloads are working again, however uploads will be down until derobert has a chance to get the upload system implemented.

EDIT 2: Uploads are finally back.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: Kero being upgraded this weekend.

Post by EvaFan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:17 am

Just curious but how big of an upgrade were we able to afford after all the extra donations people gave for it?
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 am

I think we got 1.5TB drives. Have to double-check that.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with the following config:

RAID-6 (Linux md), 10 disks + 2 hot spares ⇒ 12TB space
Use ext4 for the file system. Supposedly its production-ready now, and fsck on ext3 would be a day-long affair. (Though this will require a newer kernel than Debian ships, which will be a slight PITA)

Should result in somewhere around 10.5 TB of usable disk space. Could also go with only one hot spare, then it'd be around 12 TB of usable disk space.

We're currently using a little shy of 3 TB of disk space. So either way, it'll last us a long time.

Any comments?

[EDIT: Actually, they're 1TB drives. I'm leaning towards RAID-6 + 1 hot spare. I used the Seagate serial # check thingy, and it says we're OK]

OtakuForLife
Org Profile

Post by OtakuForLife » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Wish that was my hard drive could download every bit torrent thing I ever wanted :)

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:23 pm

These the Seagate drives? If so, just to be sure, you're aware of the firmware issues/fixes surrounding them?

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm

WC Annihilus wrote:These the Seagate drives? If so, just to be sure, you're aware of the firmware issues/fixes surrounding them?
If they're Seagate, which firmware issues should I be on the lookout for? This one http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/20 ... x-for.html ?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh good, you're already aware of that. I remember finding out about it a while ago, but then I lost the link and kept forgetting to look for it again.

I thought we had decided to go with 1TB drives rather than 1.5? (There were some reports that 1.5TB drives didn't jive well in RAIDs.) No matter, I'm sure you know what you're doing. Thanks for finally going through with this. :up:

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:57 pm

derobert wrote:
WC Annihilus wrote:These the Seagate drives? If so, just to be sure, you're aware of the firmware issues/fixes surrounding them?
If they're Seagate, which firmware issues should I be on the lookout for? This one http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com/20 ... x-for.html ?
Aye, that's the one

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 am

Yeah, apparently no one noticed the edit... We actually have the 1TB drives.

WC Annihilus
Org Profile

Post by WC Annihilus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 am

But are they Seagates? There were actually firmware issues with several of the 7200.11 series drives. Be sure to check the model numbers etc though, as there were reports of 500GB drives getting bricked with people updating unnecessarily

Return to “Site Announcements”