Site Downtime and Forum Upgrade

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Site Downtime and Forum Upgrade

Post by dokidoki » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31 am

Thank you for bearing with us in our period of unscheduled downtime and upgrades. You should be reading this on the new phpBB3 software. Although it has several new features, there are still some things we are working out and there are ways it will work differently than phpBB2 with our custom modifications. If you see something that seems to be broken that's not listed, let us know if nobody else has mentioned it. First I would like to mention a few important things for some users that have had problems during the downtime.
  • If you've forgotten your username, you can use the Who am I? page.
  • If you've forgotten your password, you can use the Send password tool.
  • Once again, for now, logins to the main page must be made with proper capitalization. (Fred, not fred if you registered as Fred) FIXED: Login usernames are no longer case sensitive.
  • Some donators added during the transition phase may not have been added to the Donators Forum. I'll try to fix them this week, but you can let me know earlier if you see you're affected. FIXED (as far as I can tell)
We tried to get all the critical things going (smilies are not critical, unless they're the super cool custom ones), but here are several things that may look weird right now:
  • phpBB3 allows custom BBCodes, so there is a new "spoiler" tag. It works better than the old one, but unfortunately it is not applied to old posts. So be careful when reading General Anime and other such forums.
    Spoiler :
    Hi I'm a spoiler!
  • The vidid tag works differently. Now instead of , you have to write [ vidid ]3684[ /vidid ]. (no spaces) Once again, the old posts don't work. :( I may try and get them working later.
  • The server-hosted avatars didn't get copied over. I'll try and copy them this week. (if you upload a new one, it might get overwritten when I do that) FIXED: You may need to shift-reload to refresh a page
  • Some messages by Phade may show up as being by "Guest".
  • Searching messages is not working yet. More downtime (hopefully hours not days) may be needed in the future to fix this.
  • Links to main site from forum (and vice versa) need to be added/fixed. FIXED with some Apache config. Please let me know if you encounter any 404 errors — derobert.
  • The alert emails aren't going out yet.
  • The alert RSS feed isn't working yet.
  • "Skype" is not a field in your profile yet.
  • HTML is no longer supported so you will have to change your signatures to use BBCode.
  • As well as "subsilver2", we also have the "prosilver" style/theme, which can be set in User Control Panel->Board preferences->Edit global settings->My board style. It looks a little like this. The prosilver theme is the default, which is why you will see it until you've logged in. (All existing members had subsilver2 set in their profiles to match the old look as much as possible.)
Many thanks to derobert for getting the main site and downloads working again, and Corran and jasper-isis for helping me test/change forum settings.
Last edited by Corran on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Re: Site Downtime and Forum Upgrade

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:17 am

doki and dero, you both deserve an endless heaping of internets, cupcakes, and kittens for the work you've put into getting this stupid site back online over the past week. :up:

To everybody else: as you can see, the new forums have brought about some changes. Please keep in mind that we mods and admins are also learning the new features as we go along. It'd be great if you could bear with us (and try not to wreak too much havoc :sweat:) while we're still getting settled. Notice that in addition to posting in the Mod Drop Box, you can now "report" specific posts to us by clicking on the little button with the ! in it. Use it wisely!

Also, if you're up for trying new things, I recommend that you give the prosilver theme a shot. It looks pretty spiffy and you might find it a nice change of pace.

One more thing - the Site & Forum Rules have been slightly updated. In particular, there's this:
Forum signatures shall have no greater total dimensions than 600 pixels wide and 80 pixels high or four lines of normal-sized text. You may have multiple images and/or lines of text in your signature, but any signature that goes beyond the aforementioned limits may be removed or altered without warning.
This means that you no longer have to split your images into two 40px tall strips. We're doing this because it seems that [size=0] no longer works. The overall signature limit is still the same.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 am

HI2U
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:11 am

hugs2uall |:>

Yok/0
do not feed
Org Profile

Post by Yok/0 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 am

bitchin.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:34 am

Will we see a return of the old board style eventually?

Awesome Avatar Jasper, what's it from?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:26 am

Thanks a lot guys... even if I did get a bit angsty earlier its very very very much appreciated :3

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:35 am

Good work guys :)

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 am

I'm game.

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 am

Awesome guys, thanks... I can live again...

Return to “Site Announcements”