Donations and a New Storage Server

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Postby Scintilla » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Bauzi wrote:I would apprecite a this donaters only feature:

Leaving an opinion on a video even without downloading it or without downloading from the local hosting.

Is there already something like that?

If a video doesn't have a local download (with the possible exception of Evanescence/Creed/Seether videos), then anyone can leave an opinion. It's only if a video has a local download that this requirement exists.

And I've been railing against the requirement for years. So it goes without saying that I would like to see this as a donators-only feature as well -- it's better than nothing.

Or, perhaps do it the other way around: make it a donators-only feature to allow people to leave ops on YOUR videos regardless of DL status. I'd take advantage of that in an instant.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby CodeZTM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:47 pm

So. Uh.. How's the financial crisis going? I'd love an update.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Bauzi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:30 am

Scintilla wrote:Or, perhaps do it the other way around: make it a donators-only feature to allow people to leave ops on YOUR videos regardless of DL status. I'd take advantage of that in an instant.

Nay. I wouldn´t like that. When I feel like giving an opinion and than figure out that I have to redownload a local copy I just doesn´t feel like it anymore, because it´s just a waste of time and internet ressources to download a video that I already have.

Or I apprecite it if people can give me ops regardless of the download status and if I can do it on every vid I want as donater.
Don´t give me the little finger. I always want the whole hand :P
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby JaddziaDax » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:42 am

or how about both ways :P

I like both ideas.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Scintilla » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 am

Bauzi wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Or, perhaps do it the other way around: make it a donators-only feature to allow people to leave ops on YOUR videos regardless of DL status. I'd take advantage of that in an instant.

Nay. I wouldn´t like that. When I feel like giving an opinion and than figure out that I have to redownload a local copy I just doesn´t feel like it anymore, because it´s just a waste of time and internet ressources to download a video that I already have.

Um, that's exactly why I supported your suggestion and offered mine as an alternative. Both of our suggestions have the same purpose; it's just a matter of who controls it.

(The biggest reason people give in support of the current rule is that it protects editors from receiving fraudulent opinions; people seem to like having that protection. Putting the option to waive the requirement in the hands of the editors themselves would address that issue.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Bauzi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 pm

I understand where it´s comeing from. I mean it´s damn easy to make a flame op with only ones just because you´re an ass, but it might take much more work to remove such an op.

Yeah I somehow like the protection, but sometimes don´t. Maybe the protection of the amvs should be a feature in general for donators.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Scintilla wrote:(The biggest reason people give in support of the current rule is that it protects editors from receiving fraudulent opinions; people seem to like having that protection. Putting the option to waive the requirement in the hands of the editors themselves would address that issue.)
I don't think people like having the protection (you can always petition the mods to remove griefing-based Ops) - It's more like people like having a protection in place to slow down sockpuppeting all-10 ops and making fanbois have to put forth effort to all-10 this weeks' new great thing.

At least I always took the reasoning to be about the latter than the former because there has always been informal policy in place to deal with the former and it was implemented when people were constantly bitching about the latter.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby JaddziaDax » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

that or all 1 ops
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby derobert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:06 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:It's more like people like having a protection in place to slow down sockpuppeting all-10 ops
Hmmm, a $12 donation per sock puppet per year, we could run Org off that. :twisted: At least if we have enough socks.

This idea of letting donating sock puppets leave ops w/o downloading the video, I like it.

(Seriously, if its a donator-only feature, I doubt we have to worry about sock puppets and other random nonsense. $12 is a much higher barrier than downloading a video.)
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert
derobert
Phantom of the .Org

Postby Orwell » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:46 pm

derobert wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:It's more like people like having a protection in place to slow down sockpuppeting all-10 ops
Hmmm, a $12 donation per sock puppet per year, we could run Org off that. :twisted: At least if we have enough socks.

This idea of letting donating sock puppets leave ops w/o downloading the video, I like it.

(Seriously, if its a donator-only feature, I doubt we have to worry about sock puppets and other random nonsense. $12 is a much higher barrier than downloading a video.)

Could this be tied to a cheaper tier, say $6 or even $3? I'd expect to see a lot more little donations, than the full $12 from anyone who hasn't already done so, I don't see this swaying them. And the member who's requestin the feature I believe already donates a fair amount, no?

Also a donation of $6 would allow you to download, say, 15 videos without staring them first, and $12 for 20 videos?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby derobert » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 pm

$12 is the level for the forum, that's where that came from... But, anyway, the point was that $X where x is any reasonable number will be a bigger sock-puppet deterrent than a <100MB download to most everyone.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert
derobert
Phantom of the .Org

Postby LivingFlame » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 pm

*Has not read this topic since page 2 or so*

I just had a random passing thought for a possible feature for either donators or everybody, so I figured I'd go ahead and throw it out there for people to think about and mold into something useful or just nuke out of orbit. If it's something that's been thought about before, then my bad - like I said, I haven't actually been keeping up with this topic.

Anyway, what if something like a download queue was implemented? The first two reasons that I can think of for such a thing are:
a) people with slow internet connections, and
b) people that are currently in a hurry and don't have time to download something, but want to download it later.
Think about it as though you've just gotten up in the morning and you have a few spare moments before work/school/whatever. You find a slew of new announcement threads and think you might want to check several of them out, but you don't have time right then to download them all. You could just place an "Add to Queue" button next to the LOCAL link, and allow people to save all those videos in one place for future reference/enjoyment.

I dunno, it's just a random thought that came out of nowhere for me. I figured it might at least be worth sharing so others could build on it or just throw it away. And like the first post suggested, it wouldn't take much interaction from the admins after implementation. Again, if it's been mentioned previously in this thread, then sorry about the random echo this post is.
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby Emotive » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:30 am

Can we delete old videos? The goal of the site is to collect every video ever created. Deleting videos would go against that purpose.

What about having the option to delete a video you had uploaded from the local server and replace it with a direct download link? There are many people that have available servers and wouldn't mind deleting their videos from local and hosting them on their own servers - there are people who actually do that, but I'm sure there are more people that didn't have that option in the past but do now.
Emotive
...the Meditant

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:25 pm

*I haven't been following the thread much either*

but in terms of extra features for donators, how about this:

A feature that generates a suggested filename based on information in the profile description. Personally, I like having my files named "Editor - Title - Artist - Song - Anime.ext" so a feature like this would make things much easier.

For example, there could be a box below the download links that has all the information listed on one line for easy copy/paste; Maybe even [with the option of] doing it automatically for Local downloads.

there would have to be a place to specify how the name is generated like:

-1st item in filename: ____Editor/Creator____
-2nd item in filename: _____AMV Title_______
-3rd item in filename: ____Musical Artist_____
-6th item in filename:____Original Filename__

-Separator between items:_____ - _________

based on how the VidID tag works, it sounds possible.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby thoromyr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:04 pm

A feature that generates a suggested filename based on information in the profile description. Personally, I like having my files named "Editor - Title - Artist - Song - Anime.ext" so a feature like this would make things much easier.

I would really like that feature
thoromyr

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements