Donations and a New Storage Server

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:20 am

Autraya wrote:although I'm not enarmoured of the idea of punishing non-donators with extra restrictions.... you could always limit the number of videos allowable for dload per month to 20 (or something) for non-donators.
That would only save BW which Org has no problems with, and my guess is many people would be angry about it. Meaning maybe more donations, but also many people leaving.
Arigatomina" wrote:As a long term fix, encouraging people to host their own vids should help a lot. The only reason to upload to local now is so you can get stars and QCs.
Frankly, I upload my AMVs on Org mainly because of these facts. I could host them on my pages and something, but I want to have feedback, how people see my videos, what is a step in right direction and what isn't.

As for donating, I also consider donating... well, more like plan to donate... when I get a job (unemployed now) and PayPal account.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am

Save a few of them for Anime Detour and auction them off there again. :wink:

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:31 am

JudgeHolden wrote:Save a few of them for Anime Detour and auction them off there again. :wink:
I approve of this plan

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:36 am

My friend has recently had problems with uploading AMV videos to YooTube, due to new restrictions in place. (Someone may want to invstigate such). This may help to generate more traffic and for people to use this site more in the upcoming future.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:10 am

I forgot to mention this last time... but other sites I belong to have done donation raffles. set a period of time asside and either set a minimum donation amount or an entry-per dollar amount and raffle off those HDDs, or any other goods you want to offer (or even a choice for winners). Ipods and game systems might be a bit expensive alone, but if they bring in several hundred $ more than cost you've ended up with something for your efforts. If you do this type of thing every couple months and possibly offer things that have non monitary value (server cases or external drives signed by a bunch of editors at con xyz for instance) that people might actually want you might be shocked at how much money you can make. Of course it requires a little work, but the benifits are pretty much there.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

bluetrain
Org Profile

Post by bluetrain » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Streaming; yae or nae ?
Okay here's my 2 cents on streaming.
If you were going to put steaming videos in say your video entry (wtih a local dl underneath) - wouldn't that mean the site would be hosting 2 videos and not just one. As in say a 60mb mp4 and a 17mb flv? (example only)

And if that happened with hundreds of AMVs across the board for donators, wouldn't that then lead to a lot more space being used. I know the theory is that people would watch the stream and then not download the video, but i know i just like to have my own little collection anyway - i rarely delete bad videos because one day i might watch them again and get a laugh out of them or something else whatever that may be.

Also with all the different formats that are/have been uploaded to the org; mpgs, divx, xvid, movs, h264, wmv etc etc would this pose issues with what would be able to be streamed - or would streaming videos have to be uploaded seperately by the editor?
What i mean to say, ancient videos like lets say kevin caldwell's 'believe' would have to be re-uploaded in order to be streamed, yes? Or the alternative would be for somebody with access to the server to convert the video into the most effective streaming video, or develop something which allows the original to be streamed in a lower quality display...

Maybe i'm missing something (entirely possible, i've not researched this at all) - but the idea seems good but i don't know if it will save space and bandwisth at all. And the legal attention issues which could potentially come with it tip the balance for me. So i'm not really a fan of streaming.

BUT I'LL BUY A SHIRT!

WMVs; yae or nae ?
And here's my solution to savin space and getting the org clean.
*For the record, everyone's thinking it - you just don't want to say it:
Any video submitted in WMV format can only remain hosted for say (6-12months *possibly less) - That way space is saved as people won't be bothered to reupload their videos, they'll most likely use the tube instead to host their wmvs after that - however their ENTRY stays, keeping all the videos catalogued as was the goal (as stated by godix). I know, I know i discriminating a format but good editors don't distribute in WMV (not that i know of anyway) - and bad editors still can but only for limited time. The way i see it this has 3 pros:
1. Saves space
2. Encourages editors to improve and move into more advanced territory
3. Discourages people who think they can make a great AMV in 2hrs because one linkin park lyric matches a pixellated concoction of fansubbed-footage, lip-flap, the old-film filter and the cartoon/divx logo. (big generalisation i know, but you get my point). There are some things that simply don't need to be hosted for 8 years.

4ish. Alternatively perhaps these are the kinds of videos that are meant to be streamed - maybe any WMV video cannot be locally downloaded, instead it can only be viewed online (or leeched with flv-downloaders). This would also save on a lot space as many of these videos are hardly ever downloaded anyway.

I understand perhaps that is a little harsh - but i agree with godix, if there is just going to be another donation push in a few months time for "b" maybe some sacrifices need to be made for the greater good. The biggest con is the feature could possibly turn people away from the org and thus potentially good editors (who just happen to be using WMM because its all they have access too and can afford - also i've heard it is possible to mod WMM with scripts and add-ons to make it more 'effective'... but i'm still not sold) - and of course a MASSIVE number of videos would be deleted in the first purge after 1 year or 6 months is up... which could do more harm then good to people who don't frequent the site enough to be knowledgeable of such an event...

Anyway i'm just putting it out there - you can burn it or whatever, i'm just trying to come up with another option - no harm in putting another one on the table.
*one day something with some effort will reside here*

kinggreg10
Org Profile

Post by kinggreg10 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:39 pm

What if we start having members host servers? the reason why i say that is because it will be more of a help on their end then donating. the only down sides are that if something goes wrong the server could go down for a while...

Also as you can tell i have not donated but because of that i have not really downloaded much from the site nor upload any new videos (have not done any)

I would be willing to host a server in a few years if i can get a good paying job after school... if not then i would be donating hopefully once a month a decent amount but thats not till latter on when im done :(

but i hope we can get out of this easily... but in about 3-4 years i should have a decent income... or at least a steady one...

I would donate but school is sucking the life savings from me :?

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:42 pm

This year sending my donation! ^^
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl
Org Profile

Post by SilversLightning » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:02 pm

How about letting people who have like a million videos on their profile take off the ones they don't want anymore. hell you will be down like 60 some video just like that just on mine. I sure as hell don't want 70 something vids on my account anymore. Most of them suck anyways :/ :P

and I like perks? how about the more you donate the more perks you get. or host a really nifty price contest thingy where the person who donates the most gets the cool price and stuff. and give the time limit something weird so that it's competitive. and keep the competition going by constantly posting who's in first.

I donated myself this year and it was more than last year (although that donation was because it was meh birthday but that's not the point)

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:00 pm

I would also like to suggest an 'Archive' option for AMVs. If an AMV creator would like a video that is older moved into 'Archive', it will be moved to another server that maybe is slower or only is connected up once every month or something like that.

I personally get sick of people commenting on a video that is OLD, and complaining about the quality, etc... Archived videos can still appear here, just getting them/downloading them would take longer.

-Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Return to “Site Announcements”