Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mortem]

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:09 am

jasper-isis wrote:Well, the point is to make the VCA an opt-in activity.
Why? I never understood the point of that. I mean disqualifying for various rulebreaking, fine, whatever. But disqualifying because an editor doesn't come to the org and click a box? What the hell? Isn't it supposed to be a contest about the best videos of the year, not the best of whoever happens to remember to click a box?
We could potentially create a "disputes" system where people can challenge the validity of entries with the contest coordinator. For example, if you find that a Best First Video entry were NOT actually the editor's first video, then you'd notify the coordinator through the disputes system, and if the issue is deemed valid, then the entry would be disqualified. Etc.
Perhaps you could call your new dispute system the 'Just PM me' system.

As a side note, it's odd that I disagree even more with editors choice than I do with the viewers choice.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 am

*scratches hea*

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

godix wrote:
jasper-isis wrote:Well, the point is to make the VCA an opt-in activity.
Why? I never understood the point of that. I mean disqualifying for various rulebreaking, fine, whatever. But disqualifying because an editor doesn't come to the org and click a box? What the hell? Isn't it supposed to be a contest about the best videos of the year, not the best of whoever happens to remember to click a box?
One of the underlying ideas of virtually all contests is that you must actively choose to participate. There's no convincing reason for the VCAs to be an exception.
godix wrote:
We could potentially create a "disputes" system where people can challenge the validity of entries with the contest coordinator. For example, if you find that a Best First Video entry were NOT actually the editor's first video, then you'd notify the coordinator through the disputes system, and if the issue is deemed valid, then the entry would be disqualified. Etc.
Perhaps you could call your new dispute system the 'Just PM me' system.
As has been amply demonstrated in the past, a lot of people neither know of nor care about the forums. An email address might be workable, but relying on PMs comes with a host of potential problems.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:31 pm

Kalium wrote: As has been amply demonstrated in the past, a lot of people neither know of nor care about the forums. An email address might be workable, but relying on PMs comes with a host of potential problems.
I'd hazard a guess that the people most likely to dispute a VCA semifinalist/finalist are the people who know and/or care about the forums. Not saying PMs are the proper method of notification, just pointing out that it's people 'round here who are most likely to dispute something.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:26 am

Some ideas/suggestions:

The ribbon is a great idea, why not go 1 step further (so doki never gets a break :P) and honour the winners from every year by adding a ribbon with the year on it for each video o.O

I would be interested in seeing how many people actually voted in each years VCA, to really see how many opinions we are actually getting.(not votes per video)

Put some kind of block in place that prevents people from voting for their own videos.

explain that bug relating to multiple anime vids that I raised in a previous thread.

Make the winners pay for their own shipping costs :P

maybe offer free "donator staus" as a prize? or renew the winner automatically in the next year.

maybe Disputes forum that can be posted in but not viewed or is annoymous? or you can only view your own message unless your a mod... just some ideas

Good points and/or suggestions already mentioned on this thread:

Short time frame :up:

Automatically tick the "all my vids are entered box" (what actually is the point of that box? I don't actually know.

Good category descriptions and perhaps add a "serious" category

Organisers were flexible and made changes where apropriate as contest was underway.

token girl mod my ass!
new banzors in the making :p

Turbo
is actually Jesus
Org Profile

Post by Turbo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:56 am

jasper-isis wrote:
Turbo wrote:To-do list for next year:
1) Enable "Put all your videos in catalog" by default
Well, the point is to make the VCA an opt-in activity. Some editors have missed submitting to the VCA in the past, yes, but this year we made a huge effort to remind people about the deadline and to make the qualifications process as painless as possible.
I don't ask to remove it completely. All editors will have the same ability to not participate in contest. I only ask to enable it by default. As for latest contest, my favourite video

wasn't participate because author forget to enable this damn checkbox.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:51 am

Autraya wrote:The ribbon is a great idea, why not go 1 step further (so doki never gets a break :P) and honour the winners from every year by adding a ribbon with the year on it for each video o.O
They already put ribbons on all the previous videos...

or am I misunderstanding what your saying?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:56 am

Autraya wrote:The ribbon is a great idea, why not go 1 step further (so doki never gets a break :P) and honour the winners from every year by adding a ribbon with the year on it for each video o.O
It's already like that!
I would be interested in seeing how many people actually voted in each years VCA, to really see how many opinions we are actually getting.(not votes per video)
I don't know any figures from previous years, but 852 members voted in this year's VCA.
Put some kind of block in place that prevents people from voting for their own videos.
Wanna save me some brainpower and come up with a list of pros and cons for this? :sweat:
explain that bug relating to multiple anime vids that I raised in a previous thread.
Not sure where the bug came from, but for some reason it was catching only videos with special effects. :( Doki fixed it ASAP though...
Make the winners pay for their own shipping costs :P
Hmm... wasn't somebody :cough:TJ:cough: going to think about those prizes?
maybe offer free "donator staus" as a prize? or renew the winner automatically in the next year.
I was actually considering that a while ago...
maybe Disputes forum that can be posted in but not viewed or is annoymous? or you can only view your own message unless your a mod... just some ideas
So you guys would rather have an anonymous system? I thought it'd be the other way around (with all the concern for "transparency" and whatnot). An anonymous system would indeed be a "just PM/email me" system. And hey, that's potentially less of a headache for me, so I'm not complaining. :P
Good category descriptions and perhaps add a "serious" category
I'm not sure if Serious is distinct enough to warrant its own category...
token girl mod my ass!
:sweat:
Automatically tick the "all my vids are entered box" (what actually is the point of that box? I don't actually know.
I stand by what Kalium wrote up there, about how people should actively choose to participate in contests. It's always a shame when editors we like forget to check that box, but really, we did the best we could to get people qualified this year. In the future, it might be a good idea to PM or email your favorite editors during VCA season to remind them to participate.

The point of the box? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it ties in with Phade's original intent for the VCA to instigate a bit of household cleanup for the database. (This is also why you have to fix your blank/non-anime entries in order to qualify.) Since the site seeks to catalog every AMV ever created, the box acts as a reminder for everybody to enter all of their videos.

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:15 am

I agree, as much as it sucks when people forget to check it, I don't think everyone should be entered by default, I think it needs to be a choice. Even if it takes a little more work, it just seems wrong to have it automatically checked.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 am

Kitsuner wrote:
They already put ribbons on all the previous videos...

or am I misunderstanding what your saying?
ok I retract that last statement both you and jasper are correct, I'm just blind 8-)

what about JCAs? and stars or ribbons or waffles or w/e

btw guys n gal n cookie monster that was just me having a mental dump of thoughts. So I don't really care if you pay it no heed I just think that it's better to get un sugar coated feedback than complete glowing reports or no comments at all :P

PS i didn't notice that bug being fixed at all o.o? are we talking about the same problem, with vids not showing up in the list?
new banzors in the making :p

Return to “Site Announcements”