Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mortem]

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mortem]

Postby jasper-isis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:33 am

The 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards are over, and the winners have been posted. (When viewing this page, be sure to refresh your browser a few times to load the new CSS.) Thank you so much to everybody who participated this year! :D

In addition to discussing the VCA results here in this thread, I would like for you to post your comments on how the contest was run this year. Please use the following information as guidelines for discussion:

Changes made to this year's contest:
A re-write of the rules and qualification guideline for reader-friendliness
No category nominations round
Rewording of category descriptions for clarity
Voter agreement page
Compacted overall schedule
Finalists video pack
Recode of all VCA results listings
Addition of VCA ribbon image to winning videos' descriptions (as a prize)
(All website coding was done by dokidoki, who is, obviously, the awesomest person around.)

To-do list for next year:
MEP category for the database
Some way for voters to view all semi-finalist videos more easily
Anything else that I missed?

Overarching objectives:
To run the VCA in an active, attentive, and unbiased manner
To increase VCA participation among all a-m-v.org members
To help all VCA entrants get the exposure they need during the contest
- so that voters can make informed voting decisions
- so that VCA results will be truly reflective of viewers' choices
To make the VCA an enjoyable experience for all involved

Finally, a concluding note:

I understand that many people have distanced themselves from the VCAs over the years due to the perception that some winners may not have been the "best" candidate for their awards. To this view, I would like to point out the obvious fact that people have differences in opinion and that every member is entitled to his or her own voting choices. However, I do freely admit that the VCA system is not without its inherent faults. These faults can be addressed. The VCA is an evolving contest, and we are looking to improve it year by year. Therefore I ask that you judge the value of the VCA not by its results but by its goals - and the methods and procedures that follow from these goals. Once we have refined these methods, then we'll be on our way to a contest that we can all proudly take part of.

Thank you again for your involvement!
Last edited by jasper-isis on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby Infinity Squared » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:03 am

I'm always excited every time the VCA comes rolling around, no matter the drama surrounding it. I don't always agree with the winners picked for it, but to expect that to happen would be almost like expecting I'd win the million dollars in the lottery... it would be nice, but it's not gonna happen.

Rather than the winners of the VCAs, the thing which sort of always irked me before was the timescale that the previous VCAs operated in. I am very very happy of this shortened voting period. I don't see the need to drag on for months... trying to squeeze every last vote may seem like the best idea for something called "Viewer's Choice" but I'd hazard to guess that you'd get the tapering off of results in a much shorter amount of time like this year than in the past.

And damn... much awesomeness to doki! The ribbons are hawt.
Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby Turbo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 am

To-do list for next year:
1) Enable "Put all your videos in catalog" by default
Turbo

Postby Savia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 am

Congratulations to all the winners, competitors, and those working hard behind-the-scenes.

And can I just say what a huge improvement to things the streamlined voting process was this year! Everything was kept turning over at an admirable pace, given the size of information needing to be processed.
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.
Savia
Chocolate teapot

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 am

Were semifinal/final vote counts never on the actual to-do list? Will they ever be?
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Koopiskeva » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:29 am

:up: for making the VCAs go by so quick this year. O:
Hi.
Koopiskeva
|:

Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.

Postby angelx03 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:17 am

I nearly forgot that the VCAs was ending. :shock:
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby Kristyrat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:35 am

Koopiskeva wrote::up: for making the VCAs go by so quick this year. O:

Aye, huge props to Jasper, TJ (and doki :3) for pulling the VCAs through this year, must have been a lot of work. :up:

[Kristyrat]
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin

Postby KaneDragon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:16 pm

Meh~ A little disappointed that some of my picks lost, but oh well. One thing that bugged me a little: the Fun category. I tried to stick to the description with my votes as best I could--"no dance elements but still leaves you with a warm fuzzy feeling" or whatever it was. And "Feel the Mambo" wins it. I have nothing against the video (I voted it for Best of the Year), but it just seems a little too... dance? :wink:

Otherwise I would have voted "SugardanSen" for everything I could. That video deserved to win something. :cry: :cry:

The Judge's Choice results are far more in line with my preferences. 8-)
KaneDragon

Postby xexyzl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 pm

How about making the Finalist video pack a torrent? Might help save on bandwidth...
xexyzl

Postby Fall_Child42 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Good Work guys.

Sweet, I totally beat that other VCA video for best lipsynch.

This was a totally cool experiment, hope you guys do it again next year.
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby Coffee 54 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 pm

I've been so busy this year I wasn't able to give the VCAs the time they deserved. I feel kinda bad about that, but I do think they were run beautifully this year, and no major controversies. At least I think there weren't... I might have missed them because of the aforementioned busy-ness. Good show at away rate.
Coffee 54

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Great job jasper-isis!

The Job's all yours now (for many years to come hopefully!) :D

Vlad
Vlad G Pohnert

Re: Winners of the 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards! [+ post mort

Postby dwchang » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:59 pm

First off, congratulations to all the winners (and nominees)!

To be honest, I haven't watched a lot of videos and thus did not participate, but regardless of what *anyone* thinks or says, they are hard earned wins and *all* the winners and nominees should feel proud.

jasper-isis wrote:Addition of VCA ribbon image to winning videos' descriptions (as a prize)

Neat!

I was actually going to reply 'color me jealous' until I went back to my own previous VCA winners and realized you retroactively added these to previous winners. Thanks!

Although I got 'physical prizes' last time, it's still a nice gesture and I appreciate it :).

jasper-isis wrote:I understand that many people have distanced themselves from the VCAs over the years due to the perception that some winners may not have been the "best" candidate for their awards.

Now although I don't always agree with the results of the VCA, I don't think that makes them as 'bad' or invalid as everyone paints them to be. It's like any sort of contest with an audience vote, you get your ONE vote and if people don't agree...guess what? You still voted and gave your input as a single viewer.

Just because people don't agree with your opinion doesn't make it invalid. That's like saying your vote is worth more than someone else's. The fact another video got more votes (i.e. a majority) means a lot more people enjoyed it and this is the...*viewer's* choice. You are *a* viewer and made your vote. Deal with it.

Again, this is the viewer's choice and the viewer's have spoken.

At the same time, I'm not saying there aren't problems and room for improvement, but frankly it got a lot better this year (especially how fast it was handled) and regardless, I always find them valuable. And even if I didn't, it's still nice to reward some people in our community.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby Full Metal Sempai » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Congratulations to everyone who participated and even more congratultions to those who won.There were(and will always be) some unexpected results,videos that in our humble opinion didn't deserve the place they took but we have a democracy,we all choose so no use complaining.(And that goes to my journal entry too^^)
Still,it was a rather good experience.It's my first time taking part in VCAs given that during last years,I didn't frequent a lot in org.My proposals now:

1)The vote count to be shown when the results are out in semifinals and finals.At least to let us know how big is the gap between the preferences.

2)There isn't a best "serious" choice.Videos depicting society's problems or the consequences of war for example fit into categories like action and drama most of times but still...

And so as not to forget,congratulations to the organizers too.^^
Full Metal Sempai

Next

Return to Site Announcements