2008 Viewers' Choice Awards [OVER!]

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

2008 Viewers' Choice Awards [OVER!]

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:11 pm

It's that time of the year again. The 2008 Viewers' Choice Awards are now live!

The first thing you should know is that the qualification deadline is <s>January 20, 2008</s> [UPDATED: January 25, 2008]. That's one week from now! If you want to participate this year, you must make sure that all disqualifying factors are cleared up by then. Check the "My Qualified Videos" page to make sure you're in.

Next, head over to this forum to talk about the videos that you will be nominating in this year's contest.

We've made a couple of changes that (we hope) will enhance the VCA experience. For example, we tried to make the rules and the eligibility pages more user-friendly. There are also no category nominations this year. Please read everything carefully so that you'll be up-to-date on the changes.

Tsunami Jones and I are coordinating the contest this time, so feel free to send us your questions and comments. Thanks and enjoy! :)
Last edited by jasper-isis on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:13 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Orwell wrote:I suggest we move ALL VCA related material to donator only status, and drop the requirement to reach that by either $6 or even $2.
That probably something to consider for next year, this year we'll just follow the same format as last.. It's enough work already Wink

Vlad
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Wow that didn't take that long for the forums to be spammed with pimpage O_o;;

...good luck.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:13 pm

Crap; ok I've got three days to upload my videos from last summer.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Even though there are no category suggestions this year, I'm going to suggest one that I think is a good idea anyway:

Best Studio of the Year

The requirements, of course, are that there are more than one member. It's pretty self-explanatory, I mean, there are certainly some studios that produced a huge amount of awesome videos (think of all the videos that will be nominated in the VCAs this year from VNS :O) and I think they deserve some recognition!

There are a few studios where there might be one member who kind of overshadows the others, but not many.

Also:

Best Duo

There are some people who collaborated on a video, but there were only two collaborators, so this doesn't really count as a single effort, or as a mulit-editor project.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

-GfN-
Org Profile

Post by -GfN- » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 pm

it's been suggested quite often in the past years, but I feel the necessity to do so again:
would it be possible for the public list of videos in semifinals and nominations to be visible for everyone after the contest is over? it's just that this would make the whole thing much more transparent afterwards and give a good idea of what the contest was like, rather than just giving out the winners...

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Best Duo

There are some people who collaborated on a video, but there were only two collaborators, so this doesn't really count as a single effort, or as a mulit-editor project.
"Best Collaborative Project" encompasses both MEPs and two-person collabs, so both are eligible for the category. I know you probably have some concerns about the two being placed together, but for now I think that "Best Duo" would be too restrictive of a category for the VCA.

A "Best Studio" category wouldn't really work unless the .Org starts regulating studios more tightly. Right now creating a studio is extremely easy, so it's possible to play the system by merely making the biggest studio and having everybody in it vote for themselves. In any case, both of your ideas seem like they would do all right in another contest. ;)
-GfN- wrote:it's been suggested quite often in the past years, but I feel the necessity to do so again:
would it be possible for the public list of videos in semifinals and nominations to be visible for everyone after the contest is over? it's just that this would make the whole thing much more transparent afterwards and give a good idea of what the contest was like, rather than just giving out the winners...
I don't know if it would lend more transparency per se, since the nominations and semi-finalists are there for everyone to see during the contest anyway.

But I totally agree that having them displayed even after the contest is over would be nice for posterity's sake. However, I don't know the amount of coding that this would require. TJ and I don't have the coding ability to implement this (AFAIK), so we can't make any promises. But we'll see.

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:48 pm

I've a bone to pick.

NC-17 is mentioned on the elligibility page... WTF is that? some kind of U.S rating system? that or North Carolina at -17 degrees :(

I and a lot of other people on the .org aren't from the U.S so how about using something more universal.
Like "may contain content unsuitable for people under the age of 18" or whatever suits your fancy to get the point across.
new banzors in the making :p

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Autraya wrote:I've a bone to pick.

NC-17 is mentioned on the elligibility page... WTF is that? some kind of U.S rating system? that or North Carolina at -17 degrees :(

I and a lot of other people on the .org aren't from the U.S so how about using something more universal.
Like "may contain content unsuitable for people under the age of 18" or whatever suits your fancy to get the point across.
And yet you still understood that NC-17 meant the video wasn't suitable for kiddies...

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:52 pm

The only thing i'd like to suggest (like I seem to have done for the last two years without so much luck) is that improvement awards not be restricted to within the year. Thinking on a more macro level would allow people that have improved significantly in a year over years past to be recognized.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Announcements”