New feature: AMV Alerts

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Nessephanie wrote:(and I'm not actually, I'd just like to know because I'm a curious person :P)
Ok, being a nosy bastard I can understand and agree with. Although in your case 'nosy bastard' probably isn't the right way the phrase it but whatever.
Ileia wrote:The only problem I see is that maybe some members don't want it known that they're watching someone's profile. But if you like their videos, why hide it?
Perhaps Dokidoki just doesn't want us to know he's an avid fan of ramonesfan?

Which actually brings up a semi-valid point. If we could see who's watching us then it wouldn't be that long before someone bitches they don't have enough followers. Others would use it as a metric to brag about (probably in the form of 'well I have tons of followers so you must be wrong if you didn't like this video' in some announcement topic or another). Either way the org members get accused of being egotistical and elitist enough as it is, why encourage it even more? Personally I'd like to see who's tracking me just so I could learn who would actually take the effort to track someone that no longer releases their solo projects but I can live without knowing that.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:59 pm

godix wrote:If we could see who's watching us then it wouldn't be that long before someone bitches they don't have enough followers.
They could do that whether or not they know who it is, it still shows the number of watchers. But there's so much stuff that people can brag about already, stars, ops, hits, QCs, etc. I don't think one more will make much of a difference.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:56 pm

These "ALERTS" look like an interesting addition. I'll play around with them to see how it goes. One item I'm curious about is this function:

Receive email when you receive a new PM (private message):

Normally we can set to receive email alerts through our Forum Profile page when we get a new Private Message. So I'm wondering if this new function through the "ALERTS" settings will override that if we set it to something different? Does it matter if one or the other is turned off? Just curious to know if there might be a conflict.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:25 pm

Ileia wrote:
godix wrote:If we could see who's watching us then it wouldn't be that long before someone bitches they don't have enough followers.
They could do that whether or not they know who it is, it still shows the number of watchers.
That number only represents the number of people that are willing to receive messages from you. I'd say that only 50% of the people I have in my alerts I'm actually willing to receive messages from.

I'd personally like to know who I'm sending messages to but for all the other alerts, I think that should stay anonymous.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 pm

I just wanna make sure I understand something here. The messages thing, that's brand new right? It seems to be, basically, a journal entry that only goes to people who have signed up for it. Is that basically what it is or am I not understanding it correctly?

Which brings to mind a question, can you view old messages? Say I just added a member to my list and subscribed to receive their messages, can I go look at ones they sent before I subscribed or is it one of those once it's sent you can never see it again things?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:14 pm

godix wrote:I just wanna make sure I understand something here. The messages thing, that's brand new right? It seems to be, basically, a journal entry that only goes to people who have signed up for it. Is that basically what it is or am I not understanding it correctly?

Which brings to mind a question, can you view old messages? Say I just added a member to my list and subscribed to receive their messages, can I go look at ones they sent before I subscribed or is it one of those once it's sent you can never see it again things?
Yes, it is a personal message sent to the people who added you to their alerts with the "Sent msg" option set to something other than none.

If you select the online option then you will be able to see any old messages up to a week old. The rss only shows items you select to view in the online log* for the past 24 hours, and I guess (haven't tried myself) if you choose the email option for the past month, it will send you all the messages within that previous month regardless of if you added the user to your alerts at the beginning or end of the month.

*unless you select that box that says all monitored alerts show up in online and rss

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm

The site menu on the edit alerts page seems broken.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 pm

This was my reaction too.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:51 pm

Scintilla wrote:Just out of curiosity, I don't suppose there's any way of finding out who the people watching us are?
Aaaaand cue the drama! OMG LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME NOW LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME WAIT I DIDN'T MEAN YOU STOP LOOKING AT ME WAHHHH.

lulz internet.

Neat. I probably won't use it much, because I don't know anyone here or make videos or anything, but it's a neat tool.

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:12 pm

So there is a God...

this is pretty nifty, thanks doki! ^0^
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

Return to “Site Announcements”