New feature: AMV Alerts

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 am

First of all I'd like to thank Dokidoki AGAIN, I think this is overall a GREAT idea, but...

Ya know let me get my word of doomsayer in: I can see this further spuring on the malcontent that is ruining the org. I mean it's bad enough that announcement threads are littered with cliques. it used to be (WAAAY back when now, even before local hosting) ANY announced vid with a link was worthy of a watch. Than came local hosting, a good idea, but to find GOOD announced vids it became a search for two page announcement threads, now three because of all the cliques. Studios are NOTORIOUS for traveling together, then there's simple groups of friends. You know that when a Journal Junkie posts a decent video, all the rest of the JJs will be there (including myself ^.^ so I'm not proposing a solution), if it's a European amver you can bet 80% of the thread will be europeans. I mean sure, it's cuz they headed it off at amvs.nl or whatever or maybe they're just friends! But c'mon ppl have some judgement...

Then there's the other malcontent. First we get the op exchange forum. Good idea! ... but there went random ops. Variety is the spice of life people! Sure the recomendations forum does a decent job to overcome that, but. It's almost to the point where the USED-TO-BE common line, 'your opinions are appreciated' that USED to be found in every announced video has become largely UN-common. Cuz ppl know that nobodys gonna op your vids unless you do an op exchange or otherwise pimp it all to hell. When did the org become Wall Street MAX?? I'd gotten ONE random op in close to FOUR YEARS, one op where I do not know the person.

And than we get to QCs. 'You've got flamers!!' I never liked this idea. Doesn't make much sense to me.

So for this latest 'bit of synthetic euphoria' I say 'I already download everybody's video, what the heck am I gonna use it for??' All it will do is make it so rather than extinguishing random ops we extinguish random downloads as well!! Cuz after all, why even check the announcement threads when we've got all our friends tagged anyway.

(btw you wanna help out? make it so these long posts don't time you out... freeking annoying. Long journals too.)

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am

I admit I didn't have the time to read the whole 4 pages but.. >_>
Great, I was hoping for a function like this one, great work and Thanks a Lot for your support. :D
ImageImage

quadir
I Know Drama
Org Profile

Post by quadir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:11 pm

I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 < quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:16 pm

quadir wrote:I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 <quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!
So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again? Cool! If only it were that easy to get ramonesfan to stop.

quadir
I Know Drama
Org Profile

Post by quadir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:17 pm

godix wrote:So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again?
I don't understand.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:20 pm

quadir wrote:
godix wrote:So what you're saying is if we don't add you to our alerts you'll never make a video again?
I don't understand.
Preemptive strike before you even start.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:30 pm

Knowname wrote:So for this latest 'bit of synthetic euphoria' I say 'I already download everybody's video, what the heck am I gonna use it for??' All it will do is make it so rather than extinguishing random ops we extinguish random downloads as well!! Cuz after all, why even check the announcement threads when we've got all our friends tagged anyway.
Why I don't see that becoming a problem:
  1. Most of the community does not use the forum in the first place.
  2. People new here will need some reason to add people to alerts and they are not going to just do that randomly without downloading videos and finding people they think are worth watching.
  3. Non-donators will not be able to watch nearly as many people once the system is finished going through the testing stages.
  4. I've been playing with the system for a few weeks now in early beta but I still browse the announcement forum frequently. I've actually downloaded some videos before my RSS client said it was available on some occasions.
quadir wrote:I wanted to get this out of the way before everyone starts doing it:
16:08 <quadir> When 50 people adds me to their alerts I will make a video!
Remember, that number only indicates how many are watching for messages from you, not how many are watching for a new video. :P

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm

Remember, that number only indicates how many are watching for messages from you, not how many are watching for a new video.
I still don't understand what "messages" are?

Maybe I'm just stupid.

And anyway, when I went to my edit alerts page, I saw one person was already watching me. And since someone else posted they were being watched... Does this mean DokiDoki is the new Tom?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:11 pm

SQ wrote:I still don't understand what "messages" are?
They are kind of like a broadcast message to the people with that specific alert enabled. I suppose they are comparable to the journal buddy page except they are sent out via email and rss as well. If people start using alert messages like journal system is used I will probably turn off that alert type in my edit page. : /

Does this mean DokiDoki is the new Tom?
No one is automatically added to a user's alerts. Someone had to of added you manually.

(I can't even imagine how annoying that would be to have 600000+ users on an alert page.)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Knowname wrote:Ya know let me get my word of doomsayer in: I can see this further spuring on the malcontent that is ruining the org.
Knowname wrote:Then there's the other malcontent. First we get the op exchange forum. Good idea! ... but there went random ops. Variety is the spice of life people! Sure the recomendations forum does a decent job to overcome that, but. It's almost to the point where the USED-TO-BE common line, 'your opinions are appreciated' that USED to be found in every announced video has become largely UN-common. Cuz ppl know that nobodys gonna op your vids unless you do an op exchange or otherwise pimp it all to hell.
What are you talking about? I get random opinions all the time.

(Disclaimer: I released no new videos in 2006.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Site Announcements”