The 2006 VCAs Begin

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

The 2006 VCAs Begin

Postby Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:16 pm

Hey All,

Well, it’s that time of year again: The 2006 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers Choice Awards have begun.

I’m sorry for the delay in getting it up and running. Since we were switching main servers, the site code structure was also changing. I didn’t want to create the pages for the old structure just to have to turn around and fit them for the new structure. But now that Derobert has the new server up and running just fine, we can get on with things. ^_^

The rules for this year are nearly identical to last year’s with no significant changes (yet). If anyone has any objections/suggestions to the rules, now is the time to speak up while we’re still in “suggest category” mode.

I did a preliminary sweep of how many videos are dis/qualified and come up with these numbers:

videos disqualified for blank anime: 3498
videos disqualified for ambiguous anime: 112
videos disqualified for blank music: 4148
videos disqualified for ambiguous music: 712
videos disqualified for all non-anime video entry: 189
videos disqualified for no indication of all videos in catalog: 11958
videos qualified: 6048

The number of qualified videos is already greater than previous years:

2002 -- 1049
2003 -- 1505
2004 -- 2452
2005 -- 4760
2006 -- 6048

Of course, the 2006 number are very preliminary since you still have the opportunity to fix your video entries to become qualified.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE “ALL VIDEOS IN CATALOG” INDICATION IS VERY IMPORTANT! This indication can act as an “opt out” switch for those members who do not want their videos to participate in this year’s VCAs. However, it is highly encouraged that all videos participate. Be sure to check your list of qualifying videos to see if there are any other problems with your video entries.

The schedule of events is very similar to last year. One notable difference is that there are three weeks to get first-round nominations in since there are so many potential entries this year. This first round is very important since only videos that get past the first round will have a chance to get to the final round. Getting several thousand videos down to groups of 20 is a large undertaking.

The VCA Shameless Promotions 2006 forum is now in full swing. Please be sure to promote videos other than your own. (You can still promote your own video there too.) Having everyone check out new videos they may have missed is what needs to happen.

There will be prizes again this year. Good prizes. Juicy prizes. (Yes, I know I still haven’t sent out the prizes from last year, but I promise promise promise to send them out with this year’s batch. ^_^ ) I will have the list of potential prizes available sometime next week (I hope).

For now, check your video entries and start pimpin’ vids. Good luck to everyone and have fun!!

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby angelx03 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Would it be a good idea to make sticky threads of all the catagories that's already "not yet" rejected? More likely they'll be accepted in the long run. :roll:
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Hey angelx03,

That list is already at the bottom of the category suggestion page.

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby AquaSky » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:39 pm

I recall this being brought up last year, but will the MEPs be in a seperate category this year ? Many good single-editor videos are no match for the uber-projects with ten or twenty good editors involved. It really hasn't been as big of an issue in years past, but I really feel that it should be addressed this year.
AquaSky
Master of Science

Postby Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:47 pm

Hey IcyCloud,

Yes. Since we now have the ability to track videos that had multiple editors (unlike last year), there will be a MEP category. The MEP videos won't be eligible for prizes since there are many editors for the video. I am also still debating if MEPs can be eligible for other categories or not, such as Video of the Year (I'm leaning towards "no").

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby seabird » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:43 pm

'Members must not have any completely "non-anime" video entries. Members who have created a catalog entry where all of the "anime" listed is actually "non-anime", that member will have all of their videos disqualified from this year's contest and will not be able to participate in this year's contest (nominations, voting, etc.). Members may "come clean" and be allowed to participate in this year's contest by using the delete form to remove incorrect video entries. '

I'm pretty sure when I entered in my FF7: Advent Children amv that it was considered non-anime. Does this mean that anyone who has made an AC video cant enter one of their other videos into the contest? There are tons of AC videos made so far, more than the 189 disqualified that you wrote up there. I'm a little confused.
seabird

Postby Kalium » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:51 pm

Hiro_Kara wrote:I'm pretty sure when I entered in my FF7: Advent Children amv that it was considered non-anime. Does this mean that anyone who has made an AC video cant enter one of their other videos into the contest? There are tons of AC videos made so far, more than the 189 disqualified that you wrote up there. I'm a little confused.

Don't sweat it. It's been fixed since then.
Kalium
Sir Bugsalot

Postby Phade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Hey,

Prize page updated. Something is better than nothing... ^_^

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby angelx03 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:01 am

Wow, ADV really got to you, huh? Those prizes look pretty sweet! :D
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby [Mike of the Desert] » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

Hey Phade,

This is the first year I would like to enter into the VCAs, but I updated only now my profile checking the "All my videos are in the catalog". Is there any problem or now I'm qualified?
ImageImage
[Mike of the Desert]

Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room

Postby [Mike of the Desert] » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:26 am

Michele wrote:Hey Phade,

This is the first year I would like to enter into the VCAs, but I updated only now my profile checking the "All my videos are in the catalog". Is there any problem or now I'm qualified?

I'm seriously sorry for the double post but I would really need to make another question, I didn't find nothing about this in the rules :idea: :
am I able to propose my own videos? Or can I only notify other creators? Last year I saw members submitting their own videos but I really want to ask this.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your answers. :)
ImageImage
[Mike of the Desert]

Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room

Postby genestarwind21122 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:30 am

Potentially Disqualifying Factors: All factors should say "no". Any indication of "YES" will mean you will be disqualified. Please fix any "YES" by clicking on the "YES" or the video link.

Has videos with blank anime: No
Has ambiguous anime: No
Has videos with blank music: No
Has ambiguous music: YES
Zoom Zoom - Outlaw Productions
AMVRL1
Zelgagizer
No indication for all videos in catalog: No
Has videos with only non-anime footage: No

Eventhough these videos were from 2003 and 2004 they are still going to ge me dq'ed?
genestarwind21122

Postby Phade » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Hey,

Michele: The "my qualified" link (given above and on the VCA page) will let you know if you have anything that could keep you out of the VCAs. If that page is clean, you are good to go. You are perfectly welcome to promote yourself in the VCA forum, but saying "Pick me!! Pick me!!" generally doesn't look good.

genestarwind21122: The timeframe of the entries doesn't make a difference. If you have bad entries in the catalog, you will be disqualified.

I hope this helps.

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby genestarwind21122 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:26 pm

I can't correct them. It willn't allow me to change the audio sources in them. Could I get those three video info links deleted please.

Zoom Zoom - Outlaw Productions
AMVRL1
and
Zelgagizer.

Thanks.

Gene Starwind 21122
genestarwind21122

Postby derobert » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:40 pm

<a href="/bugs/vidinfo/">Request Change of Locked Video Information</a> is at the bottom of the edit videos page.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert
derobert
Phantom of the .Org

Next

Return to Site Announcements