Distributed Code Help

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Distributed Code Help

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:11 am

Hey All,

I'm thinking that it would be really nice to have more than just me working on the code for the site. The problem come in when a bunch of people are updating the code. How do we keep from overwriting each other's fixes, track who is fixing what, doublecheck for newly introduced bugs, integrate fixes into the site, maintain security, and so on?

So, does anyone have any expirence with this kind of distributed coding? Can we do it effectivly for free (not have to buy some big pre-made code tracking software)?

Thanks in advance for your help and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:42 pm

Why not have a "vault" of sorts, where people submit their completed code changes, and only one person has write access to any vault files, and that one person integrates the vaulted code into the system? That's kind of what we do at work here, except the vault is run by software.

I guess you'd also need a log where your coders record their contributions into the vault.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:49 pm

Hey,

Yeah, that's sorta what I had in mind. But is there some kinda free/open source "vault" out there? geared toward web projects instead of exe application code? I'm sure I'm not the first one to run into this kinda problem.

Phade.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:44 pm

There's always SourceForge.net. I think they're the largest Open Source repository.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:54 pm

Hey,

Yeah, I checked there, but I couldn't find anything that was for web projects. :-\

Phade.

dj-ohki
Org Profile

Post by dj-ohki » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:26 am

i know this is a necro post, but this part of the fora seems a bit slow anyway.

if you're still looking for input, CVS == <3

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:57 am

Hey,

CVS is too limited for what we need to do. CVS is good for application code, but not so good for managing web sites. Something better needs to be found.

Phade.

dj-ohki
Org Profile

Post by dj-ohki » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:45 am

Phade wrote:Hey,

CVS is too limited for what we need to do. CVS is good for application code, but not so good for managing web sites. Something better needs to be found.

Phade.
:shock:

well, thats a pickle there. how many people are going to be working on how many pages? cause im failing to grasp how CVS is too limited for web site dev usage.

unless you're speaking of managing the live site... if so, you could switch the site over to a content mangement system... but thats a major overhaul.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:50 am

Hey,

Yeah, we need something that will manage what is on the "test" site vs. what is on the "live" site and user management, user permissions, testing, approving code, database change tracking, etc all with a nice web interface. CVS doens't do that. There's going to be about 25-30 people working on it at the same time.

If you can come up with a PHP/MySQL-based system, that would be great!! ^_^

Phade.

dj-ohki
Org Profile

Post by dj-ohki » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:13 pm

Phade wrote:Yeah, we need something that will manage what is on the "test" site vs. what is on the "live" site and user management, user permissions
code branches and built in cvs features
testing, approving code
again, code branches + testing site. as for code approval... you could just have people send in diffs for approval with only a few people with commit access to the CVS repo. also, bugzilla seems to be quite the nice fit for testing.
database change tracking
ok.. thats the kicker.. i have no idea how to pull this off in cvs. but again, could be done via code sumissions as diffs into a acceptance queue.

[/quote] etc all with a nice web interface. CVS doens't do that.[/quote]

there is cvsweb for tracking, and various 3rd party tools that interface cvs and web.
There's going to be about 25-30 people working on it at the same time.
thats easily manageable with a few people with checkin rights and code submission queues.
If you can come up with a PHP/MySQL-based system, that would be great!! ^_^
i dont see php/mysql as the end all be all of tools. IMO, cvs + submission queues seem to be quite a well fit to the problem.

this seems to be turning into a discussion that would be more suited to a chat then message board, so if you want, catch me on AIM, or we can arrange to meet up on irc somewhere.

Return to “Site Announcements”