New Org Sister Site Launches

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:43 pm

Hey OniZabuza,
OniZabuza wrote:I just registered on the site as a musician (my website is http://www.bheded.com). And I like the idea. But I see one problem with the whole project.

You won't have a problem attracting bands, of course. Who doesn't want to sell their MP3s for money?

But why would fans pay money for each MP3 downloads of independent artists from newmusichouse.com when they could get a larger (and at first immensely larger) selection of independent MP3s from SoundClick.com? Of course, some songs there aren't available for download, but I that just about everything I want, is.

Honestly, I rarely pay for my favorite artists MP3s, much less bands I'm unsure of.
This may be true for you, but somehow iTunes is selling millions of downloads for $0.99 each. :-)

It all kinda hinges on how much it takes for you to know if you like a band or not. My guess is that it's one or two songs. The model typical band situation would go something like this: A band has 12 tracks to an album. The band has two good songs available for free and the rest either 15 cents each as individual downloads or the whole 12-track album for a dollar (the band can set different prices for tracks and albums). The sales of the non-free tracks can go to help cover the cost of the free tracks if the band wants to not have the site cost anything for them.

This leaves you, the downloader, the choice of "the free tracks were enough for me and I'll go on and find other free tracks on this site" or "those free tracks were good enough for me to spend a buck to get the rest of them and thus encourage the band to make more music for me to enjoy."

This model gives the band the chance to be known by having their music available and the change to make money if they so choose. The fan gets to find free music and also the opportunity to help out bands they like.
OniZabuza wrote:As far as from the artist's side (on purchasing downloads of my own music so my fans don't have to), I really can't see myself purchasing $20 in downloads for my fans to get my music for free, since I already offer what I want to give away free on my website. And on SoundClick.com.
As with the above example, the revenue from your non-free tracks can go to cover the cost of your free tracks, thus having the site cost you nothing.

Another feature of New Music House is the ability to have your own web site home page. If you are properly registered, you can point your web site domain name (www.bheded.com) to the NMH servers and the site will then return your band's profile page. All the usual band info (members, news, calendar, forum, photos, etc) will all work and look like it is your own web site. The only thing that would kick a visitor over to the NMH domain name would be if they wanted to download a song (redirecting to NMH would be for security purposes).

So now with New Music House, you have a free web site, free downloads, unlimited uploads, and the possibility of money coming in from the sale of your songs. Phase 2 of the site will have lossless compressed (FLAC) uploads so that the downloader can request any type of encoding they want (mp3, ogg, wmv, whatever) pre-compressed server-side that you will allow.
OniZabuza wrote:Now, of course I see the value in having fans be able to purchase my MP3s online. I could make some money! But, am I the only one who finds it hard to believe fans are going to pay to check out new artists on your site, when they could do the same thing for free somewhere else (like I said, soundclick.com adds 50,000 new songs per month)?
People who just want to find free music can do so at New Music House. If they don't want to pay for any music, they can do that just fine. If the band does a good job of setting out good samples, people are going to buy music they like, especially if the price is right.
OniZabuza wrote:With sites like Kozomo up, who manufacture and will actually sell your CD at no cost to the artist (and soon to offer MP3 downloads), I think you're going to have a tough sell in the end.
Phase 3 will have on-the-fly full CD printing and mix CDs mailed to the purchaser at no additional cost to the band. This first phase of having everything use the upload/download process makes it really easy for us to start with. I have already researched the CD printing thing. But since that will require much more capital to get that part going, it will have to be done after the site itself is generating revenue to pay for the CD printing machines.
OniZabuza wrote:So it comes to this:

How are you going to get music fans to spend their money on your site? What is going to make it so much better than soundclick, myspace, and other free music sites, that people will be willing to pay (and spend time inputting their credit card, etc) to use it? What's going to bring them?

I've already registered. You have my support. But I can't see the reason music fans will use it.
Easy: advanced search features.

The whole reason I created this site was because I was having trouble finding local and independent music online. I could not find in any of the sites that you mentioned a "search by zip code and surrounding areas" feature, "find bands who are performing near me next week" option, "where can I perform" search for bands, "suggestion query" based on your rankings of songs you've downloaded, "where are some places that match my style of music that I can perform", "what are some good matching bands for me to go on tour with", and things like that (some search features will be available after this first roll-out phase). I know there are some people who can manually search and download music for a long time to find what they like and don't like, but having really nice advanced search features will make finding music you like much nicer.

Having a site that is the "full package" for both musicians and fans will be this site's greatest asset.

How does that sound? I hope this helps.

Phade.

OniZabuza
Org Profile

Post by OniZabuza » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 am

Ya that does clarify a lot, and I understand the idea behind the creation of the site better.

May I suggest offering new artists a small, say, 500 credit download bonus? Being unsure of whether anyone will pay for my MP3s as of yet (selling MP3s never occured to me), or just mooch my free ones, I'm hesistant to invest any real money before I see if it could work.

You could give artists a 500 credit bonus, and when they make their first sales, the first 500 go into paying the bonus back.

That way, bands that are timid about the investment but none the less interested can try it briefly without risk.

If you don't like the idea of giving away credits, why not offer an initial buy in price of say $1 for 500 credits? Same reason as above. People love deals, of course. Offer them a sweet deal!

Lastly, the idea of integrating the downloads with ones site is a great plan! I'll check back soon for updates.

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:03 am

i know of at least 5 bands who now all want to have your babies Phade.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:53 pm

Phade, I haven't checked thoroughly into your site yet, but here is one feature that I would absolutely love to see (i would almost consider it a necessity) if you don't already have it.
The ability to listen to any song before you buy it. Just a simple 64kbps stream of it or something. Im certainly not one to buy a track without ever hearing it, and the short samples like itunes offer rarely give a sufficient preview in my opinion. Since there isn't really any music on the site yet, I'm not sure if you offer anything like this.

Zero~_Enna
Org Profile

Post by Zero~_Enna » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Wonderfull Idea, I already recommended A friend to there, And he is already really Hyped about it. I'm starting out myself so it's great to know there is A free place that will let me keep my soul, And money if I want.

Zero~_Enna
Org Profile

Post by Zero~_Enna » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:04 pm

Zero~_Enna wrote:Wonderfull Idea, I already recommended A friend to there, And he is already really Hyped about it. I'm starting out myself so it's great to know there is A free place that will let me keep my soul, And money if I want.
I can't edit it so, I'm just curious..How will payment for the credits go? It might have been addressed but I missed it. Will you have to use snail mail to pay for Credits? Paypal? Credit card? Just curious here. By the way, I would seriously like to see A Paypal option. Credit card just gets annoying, That, And you mentioned before that you were still working on the CC script for Org. Well, Anyway, Thanks.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:13 pm

Are we supposed to be able to download music right now? I can't find any way to... I click on purchase song and it says I need to specify a band or something :?:

OniZabuza
Org Profile

Post by OniZabuza » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:32 am

No... I don't think you can post music either. Phade, how long will it be till bands can put their music up??

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:53 pm

Hey,

Zarxrax: Streaming previews will come later on. For now, the model is a few sample track and then a few cents per regular track, though all of it is up to the band.

Zero~_Enna: The site will be able to accept snail-mail, PayPal, and credit cards once payments are required (site is all free for now).

Zarxrax: Once bands put music up there, you can download songs. I don't have any songs myself that I can put up (though you probably don't want to hear me sing ;-) ).

OniZabuza: Yes, you can upload, but there are a few steps to the process (similar to the Org's video upload process). First the song information must be entered. Then the song owner must give the band permission to record the song (though usually the song owner and band are the same, this is just technically how it must be done). Then the band can upload a recording of the song. The reason for this is so that eventually someone may ask, "Hey dude, can we do a cover of your song?" Then you can easily give permission and have any royalties that you require tracked automatically through the system.

I hope that helps. Thanks again and have fun!!

Phade.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:25 am

I suggest a database for the bands that's easily findable from the main page, or something that can branch down and such to make it easier to find.

A better lay out with less bland colors would be very nice, too.

Return to “Site Announcements”