Some Videos No Longer Available [Follow-up]

jethropr
Org Profile

Post by jethropr » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:22 pm

aielI_Ileia wrote:
jethropr wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:due to the "you must download the local video inorder to leave an opinion rule"
you sure?

Last time I checked, ops could be given to any video, but only star ratings and quick comments could be given to local downloads.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=58238
Hey,

The new requirement is only in place for locally available videos. If a vid is only available externally, an opinion can be left at any time.

Phade.
I was partly correct

aoi_neko
Org Profile

Post by aoi_neko » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Need to know," x_rex30? Considering the number of members here? Two can keep a secret if one's dead, and we've got alot more than two. But ANN is still sort of "in the family." I'm just dreading that it's going to get picked up by BoingBoing or Slashdot....

And, if I'm going to comment at all, I guess I should say that I really DON'T BLAME the people involved. Certainly not the bands; not the lawyers -- who could have done much. much, worse; not even the label, because I think your average label "executive" couldn't just make it all OK even if s/he wanted to. If you're looking to blame someone look to your elected representatives and your courts.

[MOD22: Fixed typo for user.]
<i>"Tamago no kara wo yabureneba hinatori wa umarezu ni shin de yuku. Warewa ga hina da. Tamago wa sekai da. Sekai no kara wo yaburaneba warera wa umarezu ni shin de yuku. Sekai no kara wo hakai se yo. Sekai wo kakumei suru tame ni!"</i>

DTJB
Org Profile

Post by DTJB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:12 pm

I've been going through what's been said here and I can understand how a lot of people can be upset about it. But my feelings are that, if a lock down of this site comes as a result of what has happened, my feelings as an editor are simply, oh well. As a member of this community, it would be upsetting to know that I wouldn't be able to communicate with most of you here, unless the forums were left intact or a separate site were created for such a purpose. But simply, as an editor, it wouldn't really matter to me that much. Like many people here, I find AMV editing to be nothing more than a simple hobby, and because I have other things to deal with in life (school, work, other hobbies, laziness), I can't spend all of my time working on an AMV.

Things is, I wanted to make AMVs long before I even knew other people made these things. It's just something I always wanted to do for fun 'cause I'm really just making them for my own amusement. Sure I show them to my friends all of the time and I enjoy hearing that they like them so much. And if it comes to the point where people can't download my videos (when I finally get around to uploading them :roll:, I'm currently working on doing that), I'm still going to keep making them, I'll just have a smaller audience to work with. I hope people don't get too bent out of shape because of what could happen. As it's been said, we still have the conventions which allow us to show them to others, and we can always show off our talents to our friends. So don't quit your hobbies because of one little incident, have fun with it and keep having fun with it, because if you're not doing it for the fun of it, well, why are you doing it?

Sorry if I'm just regurgitating what's already been said, but I had to speak my mind about it.
Probably too busy to be here right now.

MysticalTiger
Org Profile

Post by MysticalTiger » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:22 pm

People in this country are WAAY to sue-happy and greedy.. No wonder other countries hate us. :roll:

I know a lot of you are going to yell at me and disagree and blablabla. But, I wanna say it.

I understand where they're coming from, but I dont think they understand what their doing. It's not Mp3 Distribution. It's people who own anime and CDS, they put them together, and then they send them to each other. I dont see the problem with that. I am especally angry that I used all that time to create something that NO ONE else can view. It's total crap. If someone wanted to use music from my band, i'd say "go right ahead". I like to see people enjoying my music and finding a creative outlook on it. I dont want to hold back people from listening to my music because they dont have enough money to go buy the CD. Hey, if Yahoo can offer Music Videos, why cant we?

Another thing- As long as there is a way, people will do it. Their so-called stealing music is such a load of crap. It's like copyfit money. Theres no WAY your going to stop it. As long as humans exist, they will try to get things the easy way. Music, in my opinion, should not be so darn expensive. It's like water. They charge for it- but they have no right to.

I wish people would stop sucking up to the old people on the RIAA. They dont know a key signature from a CD player and are better money hogs they musical regulators. >.< I bet they still think music is played on records for heavens sake.

..Okie.. I needed to get that out of my system. I know it's not helping or hurting anything, but I need to rant. It's like taxes. You rant and rave about them, but you eventually need to do them. Anywho. This is me, being angry because I just lost 5 of my best AMV to this stupid greedy american crap.

I still like Evanescence, though. *laughs* I just did a speech on them the other day. XD

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:27 pm

My new .sig sums it all up for everyone involved, I think.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

LoCInuyasha
Org Profile

People, Phade is right...

Post by LoCInuyasha » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:28 pm

They didn't do this out of greed or cruelty at all. Copyright laws are copyright laws, and, what some of you may not be aware, the Record Companies are currently in actual DANGER.. Canada recently passed laws making it legal to pirate any music, only to not distribute it.. And we're not talking about fan works like AMVs here, we're referring to the whole deal...

If you guys really WANT to see action... Do write the record company that did this (I already forgot the name), but in a NICE AND POLITE WAY.. Explain that you have purchased their works and wish to use them for a fan tribute, and share them in a way that will lead to more sales on their part..

It'll take a WHOLE LOT LESS people nicely asking this to get action than it would people boycotting....

--LoCInuyasha

echo104b
Org Profile

Post by echo104b » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Zig-zag wrote:*puts copyright on my AMVs*

And if anyone thinks I'm serious... I laugh at you.
if you read the Laws for Copywrite, it reads that Once you create something, be it an item or idea, that Thing becomes copywrite to you.

So technically, you already have copywrite to them.

What Wind Up records did was revoke your ability to use their idea as a part of your idea.

So without their Idea, your idea is no longer under protection because it isnt complete anymore.

so, now that the video is no longer copywrite to you, you can no longer distribute it as yours. and Thusly it must be removed.

At least thats how i think it works.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Phade,

In the first thread you said if the catalog entry for an affected AMV remained a catalog entry, it was okay, unless the video was on our own webspace.

Does this mean that the record-holders will potentially go through the list and contact the webhosts of the creators, like the example of greenjinji, and give us C&Ds also(assuming they're extremely thorough with their C&Ds)?

And also, has the same action been taken with animemusicvideos.com?
And could the action ever be applicable to amv.com?

Thanks in advance.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:33 pm

badmartialarts wrote:THIS ORG JUST WONT HEAL
THE PAIN IS MUCH TOO REAL
THERE'S JUST SOME VIDS THAT PHADE CANNOT ERASE...
lmao :lol:

yuppa
Org Profile

Post by yuppa » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:53 pm

ok^^ i think you guys should know.. That MEGATOKYO is talking about this. and are basically saying stuff that the companies are right. I dont agree with it personally. its just basically "fan made" tributes to th esongs and the anime they love. Ah well.. phade ya could just change the name of the site, everytime a sumons comes up so its wrong every time. eventually changing its name will wear on their nerves and say screw it.

Oh heres the link of the topic here....

http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?s ... try4015579
END OF LINE
Once king of noobs...now king nothing!!

Return to “Site Announcements”