Evanescence, Seether and Creed videos no longer available

didrox
Org Profile

sucks the big one

Post by didrox » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:31 am

thankfully all that happened was 3 bands instead of a anime or worse 300 bands . i think we need to accept out losses and continue a head. and also all you have to do is make a link from your own site right ? well anyways phade thank you for standing up to us (i got a call from a chicks aunt saying she found out i had sex with her and my blood presure went up 10 fold so i can imagine how you felt) being one of the few who had 1 of the 3 bands i must say "dammit". but luckly we still have linkin park and dbz .

MCL didrox

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:34 am

As much as I not a fan of the music industry, I do however feel distressed in hearing things like boycott, ban, etc...

First of all, they did not outright sue the site, they asked to remove the video links. If you know anything about protecting copyrights, generally, your forced into doing something if someone brings it up to your attention.

The Anime Companies have always said that they will turn a blind eye unless there is a complaint, where they "might" have to take action...

It's one label that has asked to take thier stuff off, not the entire music industry so for now that's all that happens and life goes on

Vlad

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:36 am

Otohiko wrote:Instead of calling for silly impromptu boycotts, here's a better idea:

Why don't you guys try to do some research on this label? I would think it's best to see what exactly it is that they own, what they don't, on what grounds they may have sought a decision on these 3 specific artists, and who their daddy is.
That'd be interesting information, and might be influential in future actions.

However:
Otohiko wrote:Let's face it: we're in no better position than Phade to be 'arguing with the Man'. It's best to try and learn something, anything, from it while we can. :roll:
A boycott isn't an argument about whether or not the label has the authority to do this -- of course they do. It's just a statement of disapproval.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:39 am

jade_eyed_angel wrote:If the actual artists don't mind (as that comment shows) then it shouldn't matter.
It's more complicated then that, unfortunately. It's one thing on whether or not the band owns the copyright on their music, and there's the completely seperate issue of whether or not the band owns the recordings of their songs. Sure, the artists could have some say in it, but when it comes down to it, it's all in the hands of the owners.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:39 am

...and so it begins.

Eh, everyone famliar with this site should have expected this from day one of the donut, no big shock unanticipated.

I'm not too terribly sad, just resigned to the fate of most if not all fan made music videos,.

Welcome to the new world, I hope you enjoy your stay.

If you don't, I hope you'll make your preferences known to lots of large music distribution corporations like Sony, and all the rest of those who wish to rape your fair use rights into uselessness.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:42 am

I could see it comming just doesnt mean I WANTED it to happen...

jade_eyed_angel
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by jade_eyed_angel » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 am

True but this just completely sucks. Amvs are promotion for the music just as much as the anime. Someone told me they bought a cd because of one of my videos... I guess Evanescence is going off my future amv list... but yea, this just SUCKS.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:55 am

phade, when you get up from pretend sleep, did your agreement only effect local links or doesn't it include direct also?

Pwolf

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:57 am

<insert stream of implied explicitives here>

That said, I knew this was going to happen at some point. I think the best we can hope for here is this:
A) The band(s) to catch wind, and at least one to disapprove of this measure.
and
B) A fanbase backlash.

B is unlikely, but A is not impossible.

Hm. I don't suppose we could get a scan of the C&D?

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:58 am

I think both since he has "links are no longer available"

Return to “Site Announcements”