Evanescence, Seether and Creed videos no longer available

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 pm

I know what he said.. he's just bitching like the rest of the people in this thread.

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 pm

Your right it does belong to them. They can say not to use there stuff and take it down. But like I said before it is only hurting them and I wish they could realize that. For some music will never be discovered in certain areas. I just think it is stupid to get rid of something that is potential helping you.

Lets take this as an example local bands I know have asked me to make videos for them get there name out there for them. When I told them about this they were like great this could help us out even more. I mean I'm probably repeating what I said already.

Like I said before I understand it is there property, but now where the ones missing out on getting music we've never heard of before and probably willn't. The music industry is then losing what they are most concern about, MONEY! So once again I do side with you guys here on the org saying yes it is terrible that they can't see the advantages this site offers.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:09 pm

I don't care what they think. They make money off of me because of this form of advertisment. Them trying to take it away just means there's a less likelihood that they will get money from me. But I'm just one person.. can't make that big a difference. Besides, they're loosing more money from the people downloading the AMVs to get their songs for free. :roll:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:16 pm

As expected, this news has brought about quite a bit of reactions here…

One thing we should keep in mind in the discussions that there are principles, beliefs and opinions and then there is the law. It’s nowhere said the law is always right and can’t be wrong, but it’s what governs our society and what we live by. Take for example a speeding ticket, you may not agree with the posted speed limit, but if you break it you end up paying a fine. You may always argue and fight it and sometimes that may work, but in the end the only way to change the law it self to meet what you belief should be correct. However, it should be noted that if a law protects your personal interests, it's funny how suddenly it's a good Law!

Hence, there are two sides to this, so just because one side thinks it’s wrong, the other does not. Now there is nothing wrong with fighting laws, but it normally means sacrifice patience, strategy, money and a lot of time. It’s not something easy and you must commit to it if you want to see it to the end, and even then you may not get what you want. Just ask those who have all of the above how long it takes….

Also, in general, a lot say the anime industry here are a lot of nice people and the Music industry is evil. How can you even compare the two, the music industry is an institution that has been around for a long time and sells to their products to the main stream public who buy in the billions… Anime is still a fragile market mainly fueled by fans. It’s not main stream and relies on fans for support. Does anyone really think it would be any different if Anime goes full mainstream and makes them billions? They would use the same laws as the record industry against tinny group such as us who the majority of consumers don’t even know exists….

Finally, Phade has done a great job in dealing with this issue. He has done it very politely making sure to deal with the parties in a professional manor. They have nothing against this site; they are just exercising their choice on their property. It should also occur to us that they to have a just as much of a right to choose to say yes or no to us using their property. Even as a band, is it really wrong of them to say to a group they would not rather have their music used by them without permission?

The bottom line is, it happened, Phade dealt with it and all is not lost… May I suggest we use our collective thoughts to come up with strategies to improve our odds of this not happening again rather than rash action and doom and gloom…

Vlad

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by genestarwind21122 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 pm

I agree with you Vlad on everything except the anime industry part. The anime industry wouldn't do that to us. Like you said they rely on us for there support. When they get to the point the music industry is they should realize how and why they got there. If the anime industry starts doing the same thing then it will take a longer time to find certain animes and willn't be recognize as quickly or may never be if your anime club doesn't pick it up. It would be the same situation.

Once again they do have the right to tell us not use there stuff. Once again my question is would it be smart when something is helping you out?

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Everyone here should re-read this old thread that dealt with the legality of AMVs:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=48917

Here's an excerpt:
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Yes, it's these videos are copyright infringement and downloading these technically piracy.

SOAD2k8 wrote:As long as the creator is not profiting/selling the video and gives credit to the creators, im pretty sure that it isn't illegal.
No, it's still illegal.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:28 pm

Most of the anime I own I was influenced to get because of fansubs and AMVs.. well mainly AMVs. I'd say about 90%.. just check out my collection... see.. now that's a lot of money going to the anime companies. :roll:

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:29 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:Everyone here should re-read this old thread that dealt with the legality of AMVs:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=48917

Here's an excerpt:
AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Yes, it's these videos are copyright infringement and downloading these technically piracy.

SOAD2k8 wrote:As long as the creator is not profiting/selling the video and gives credit to the creators, im pretty sure that it isn't illegal.
No, it's still illegal.
I think 90% of the people posting here are well aware that they are illegal. Thanks for reminding us.. I think we almost forgot.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 pm

genestarwind21122 wrote:I agree with you Vlad on everything except the anime industry part. The anime industry wouldn't do that to us. Like you said they rely on us for there support. When they get to the point the music industry is they should realize how and why they got there.
I see your not familiar with how industry/corporations works in general... Take Disney for instance, when it was young and "fragile" it was never like it is now.. Funny how they (not) remember thier roots... Things change as corporations grow, people change (both those that stay and new ones that come)... If Bandai for instance became as big as Disney in NA, you really think they would be the same and wouldn't be any different in terms of how they deal with thier property?? Even the Music industry was a tiny fragile market at some point...

Vlad

[MOD22: The drama/flames in this thread are getting out of hand. This isn't the end of the org. If Phade thinks I did the wrong thing by locking this thread he can unlock it.]

Return to “Site Announcements”