More Bandwidth and Revenue Needed

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Zero wrote:
Me on HypeOdermic Studios Forums wrote:Maybe hosting for videos should be changed. For example:

If you don't donate, you're allowed 50Mbs per video and up to ten videos.

If you donate at least $50/year, you get 100Mbs per video and up to, say, 50 videos.

If you donate at least $100/year, you get Unlimited Mbs per video and unlimited videos.

While this idea may never fly, I'm just throwing it out there for disscussion.
There was alot of disscussion and stuff on that forum based on my ideas and the like. What are your ideas?

-Zero
What if you paid for amount of videos you could upload to the donut instead of how much speed you got?

At first I was thinking filesize (30mb to non-donators, more to donators) but then the 100mb thing seemed plausible enough as it was, plus some people honestly don't have the tools to compress...

... What was my point, again? ><;
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Ainaelle
Org Profile

Post by Ainaelle » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:24 pm

SQ wrote:Phade: Being able to delete local videos. I did some thinking about it. And it basically came to this.
If you can't delete your video information page, then technically the video is still in the catalog. If you are not uploading to the org, you can delete your video. If this is somehow defiling your catalog, then why do you even allow indirect/direct links?

So I think if you had a higher donation rate to have the ability to delete local videos (say, 10 USD or so), then that would be great, and more plausible, I think, than all the other ideas I and others have suggested (other than the bandwidth cap).
In other words, paying for the ability to manage your personal data? Having read the "video info locked" thread, I can't see how this would end good...

However, I think you're up to something with forced opinions after N downloads. This could work at least a little bit (teamed up with the new shiny "Report spammy/worthless opinion" button for the video creators).

Regards,
Ain.
<b>No edit button sucks.</b>

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:30 pm

I think the video info lock is fine, and should be instated whether you download or not.
I mean, you have two weeks to correct all your typos, and you can append it after that, so there's nothing wrong with it (in my eye).

Cataloging videos, knowing they existed, is good to me. It used to be that this whole site was full of empty vid info pages. People do get embarrassed about their older works. I think a creator should have every right to take his/her links down if they want.

They do not however have a right to take their video information down fully.

In otherwords, I don't see how it could end up being messy, because the video info lock would always be around.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:38 pm

Zero wrote:If you donate at least $100/year, you get Unlimited Mbs per video and unlimited videos.
Make that '100mbs' instead of unlimited size per vid, and that's what I thought would happen when I first joined. Some sort of standard amount - pay for the hosting service. But you know, since it's bandwidth, maybe it should be according to how often those videos are downloaded.

Lots of sites charge for bandwidth, and they don't charge the people downloading. The problem would be those really popular vids that are huge and get downloaded a lot, for months on end - you'd want to add the bittorrent option for those so the creators aren't hit that hard.

We could still have 'donations' for those wanting to get videos - so they're not 'paying for vids'. But charging for bandwidth used by the creators (or capping according to a pre-paid amount), would be different. People would still be able to list their vids in the catelog for free, and and they'd probably still save money compared to hosting their vids elsewhere.

But this would require a 'on/off' toggle for local videos. If a creator nears his cap on bandwidth, he should be able to choose which vids he wants to be downloadable.

If you charged per vid, you'd need the same toggle except it would actually have to *delete* the vids to make room for new ones - or have a true 'one-time' payment per video for the hosting that doesn't take into consideration the bandwidth used over time. You don't want to charge people for the same video every year unless you give them the option to replace that 'used storage space' with newer vids.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:41 pm

SQ wrote:Also, you could appeal to those who hate reviewing videos. Donate 1 USD or more, get rid of that "pesky" give a star rating for every 10 local downloads.
I like that idea a lot! @_@ That thing pisses me off the most in this site.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:52 pm

Ari, your idea would most likely discourage people to upload AMVs if they have to pay a certain amount of money just because their vid got popular. Imagine how much Koop'll be paying just for his vid to be hosted.

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:57 pm

Does one have to create a Paypal account to send money over Paypal with credit/debit? I don't like how one apparently can't remove the primary credit card associated with a Paypal account unless one replaces it with another...

And user info, etc... goes under the "Notes"part?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:47 pm

i think preventing people from downloading or uploading video based on donation limit is going against the so called "free service". i think Phade wants (correct me if i'm wrong) to keep the service free but encourage people to donate. not force people to donate by limiting how much they can download or upload.

Pwolf

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:45 pm

two words: sex sells. provide local downloads for hentai mvs to donators only (donators with credit cards to screen for minors?).

otherwise i gotta agree with the position on rationing more bandwidth per donator than per leech. a lot of the other perks sound like good ideas for incentive to donate, although i'm against limiting absolute number of dls, buying banner votes, and forcing opinions.

a speculation: perhaps the recession in donations reflects the national/global economy? a lot of people are probably donating to charities to aid katrina victims, and, over the past year, the tsunami victims in southeast asia. maybe donating to the org seems trivial in comparison to the disaster funds.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:38 pm

Some of these suggestions are missing something.
Phade wrote:The one thing we want to avoid is the perception of "exchange of money for videos"
Any attempt to say you MUST pay to download at all, download more than X number of vids, or download certain type of vids (IE hentai) goes directly against what Phade has already stated. Since Phade has said he's opposed to this I suspect none of these ideas will go far regardless of their possible merits.

As far as creators paying for uploading, that's encouraging exactly the wrong thing. Last I heard the most downloaded vid on the site is IWIWAL. If AD had to pay for each and every one of those downloads he would have a very strong reason to make the video unavalable. I suspect the last thing any of us want is the best and most popular videos to suddenly be unavalable for download. I think anything that would encourage people to not make their videos avalable is a bad idea (the one exception to this, the org should make it so if you try to upload a Naruto or DBZ video you end up on a page that laughs at you for five minutes then the words 'Hell no, we got enough of this crap' pop up. Dare to dream and all that)

Return to “Site Announcements”