Video info more restricted over time

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey SuperFusion,

I seriously doubt you speak for the majority here. Plenty of other people have already responded with all possible answers to the temporary fix: "It's a good idea", "I'm not sure about the idea", and "It's a bad idea".

Just to clarify: There is no restriction on the amount of information a video creator can put up about their video. Members are fully free and welcome to put no information, some information, or an encyclopedia about their video and it is all up to the video creator to enter the information they believe is necessary. This has not changed with the implementation of this temporary fix.

What has changed is the ability for a video creator to destroy information about their video. Since the vast majority of video creators enter the video information and then don't change it ever, the temporary fix affects a small number of video creators. So far, the biggest concern has been with video link comments (link up/down notes). A solution is already being implemented to make this concern go away. This leaves a very small group of members who are potentially in need of further modifications to the video description. A solution is being created for these people as soon as the exact nature of the modifications can be categorized.

What the site as a whole has to now determine is the balance between the preservation of information about the video vs. the inconvenience created by any of the preservation methods.

Just as a side note, the way I personally use the video description (and I'm probably not alone here) is that I look at how well the description has been written. I use the notes given to help me determine if I should bother to take the time to download and view the video. If the creator has taken the time to write well-formed notes about the video, it is a good chance that the creator has taken the time to make a well-formed video; if the creator has junk notes, the video is likely to be junk.

I hope this explanation helps.

Phade.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Your statement about videos with junk notes are probably junk is crap. I need to take the time to write a summary on a video to make it actually enjoyable? This is obviously opinion-based. I don't see why I have to give a valid reason to an admin just so I can edit information on a video(after the two week period) that I created. Corran's idea seems to be more reasonable than the one you've installed. It seems you're putting effort into 'trying' to fixing problems that weren't much of a big deal to begin with.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:12 pm

Phade wrote:Arigatomina: It has already been proposed (and will be implemented) that link comments go with the link entry itself and not in the video description. This would solve the link comment problem so that the description does not have a string of "Link is up", "Link is down", "Link is up" appends.
This will solve the problem for future videos. It won't let me edit the indirect information currently on my existing videos if I need to change hosting methods.

My biggest complaint is that there was no warning. If I had just put up my first video, I would see this thread and realize I have 2 weeks to decide what I want written forever. I had no warning, so now I'm stuck with what's up there. That's not fair.

I'd ask that the lock be undone and everyone be given access back for two weeks before this new lock is put into place again, so we all have the same chance future members will have to decide exactly what we want written to represent our videos forever.

But you know, at this point, I'd probably just use the two weeks to delete every single one of my video profiles. I've never written a vid description with the intent to have it sitting permanent. My opinion is not a concrete thing like a video file. What this lock has done is removed my right to change my public opinion about my own video. If I'd known I'd lose access to the vid descriptions, I'd never have written any of them.

I'll take the positive route and believe it's temporary, but if it starts to look like you'll keep it this way, please put a warning for future members on the 'create new video Step 1' page. Some of the longer vid descriptions read like stories, and you have no right to steal someone's story, no matter how short or informal it might be. For that sort of thing, you need a warning for the joining members to see and accept, giving you permission to keep what they submit to this site. We already have that for the video files, but you need it for the written descriptions as well. Even more, since the written descriptions are not fanwork, and are the sole property of the writer.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm

note that employing append-only editing does not solve entries like these: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... .php?v=166

personally i am opposed to the current solution because IMO the costs in terms of flexibility and privacy outweigh the benefits. the best solution i can come up with is the same as zarx's suggestion for a publicly available backlog of vid descriptions.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm

Hey SuperFusion,

You missed the point. Good notes are not needed to enjoy the video. Good notes make it much more likely that I will actually download and view the video. It has been my experience that bad notes usually correlate to a bad video; therefore, I am much less likely to download a video that has junk notes about it. Also, this is just how I personally view and use video descriptions.

The temporary fix that has been implemented was put in place because it fixed the problem of preserving video description information and it was very fast to implement (it took about 30 mins to create the change). A better solution (such as ones that have been suggested) will take many hours to implement. (If there was a working programmers group, the solution could be implemented much faster.)

For now, I am taking the feedback given here to help come up with the best solution for all aspects of the problem (information destruction). As of now, I am leaning towards some kind of a "description history" solution which should allow for the free manipulation of the video description while simultaneously preserving all "versions" of the video information, but nothing is written in stone yet. Once the exact solution has been determined, it will then be implemented.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:45 pm

arigatoumina wrote:My biggest complaint is that there was no warning. If I had just put up my first video, I would see this thread and realize I have 2 weeks to decide what I want written forever. I had no warning, so now I'm stuck with what's up there. That's not fair.
Exactly.

Honestly, I think this is extreme, and a big hassle. To be frank, I don't like the way it was handled, there was no warning, no discussion and no prior announcement.

I would hope that you'd have announced this decision at some point in time, and not relied on someone to point it out [aka, me, when I went to change some information and discovered I screwed up a tag that I couldn't fix :? ]

I'd also like to point out that this site is set up like a catalogue. The publishers of a catalogue do not have control over print copy, they merely make it easily accessible for readers to peruse and select what they wish to [in this case] download.

I don't care that TomtheFish changed his video information. I'm sorry. I don't think it's a big deal. That's his perogative, not yours. I don't see why everyone should have to feel threatened because of it. [Which clearly some people are.]

This is not an attack against Phade or the rest of the administration, but all of a sudden is seems too much is riding on control.

I first joined this community to download videos as a fan, now I've started to share my own work with others.

I did not join this community to feel controlled and effectively pinned down by my hobby of choice. I do not want to have to worry time limits, errors and pages of preamble whenever I upload a video.

Honestly, I was tempted not to upload my newest video locally today. I debated it, and only decided to since I 'd already bothered donating money to this site for its hosting use.

And that is not 'fun,' nor is it the intention of the site as I understand it, but that's what it feels like now.

I debated posting this actually, since I already have an idea of what rebukes and rebuttals will inevitably come my way. And that is what upsets me most of all. Recently everything seems to be an "admin" versus "users" debacle, and I'd like to see changes handled in a way that doesn't invoke these feelings.

There is my opinion on the matter, do with it what you will.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:50 pm

downwithpants wrote:note that employing append-only editing does not solve entries like these: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... .php?v=166
Actually, that is just the kind of thing I considered doing when I first found out about the new append-only mechanism. I already keep separate info pages for my videos on the AS website anyway (usually they've got different notes from the Org info pages).

I'd like to throw in my support for the history/archive system as well. With something like that in place, "destructive" edits could be reversed (and then somehow stop the user from re-destroying?) while the majority of info pages would be left alone, and we'd all get our flexibility back.

But I still may go Doki's route of linking to offsite info blurbs, just in case I ever want to erase all my own notes...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 pm

<b>Append</b> (no coincidence intended):
Moonlight Soldier wrote:I don't care that TomtheFish changed his video information. I'm sorry. I don't think it's a big deal. That's his perogative, not yours. I don't see why everyone should have to feel threatened because of it. [Which clearly some people are.]
Oh good, I'm not the only one who feels this way.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 am

Hey Moonlight Soldier,

Once it was brought to my attention that there was a problem with information destruction, the reasoning and method for the temporary fix can be summed up in one word: time. Actually, my lack of it.

If you catch my previous post, you will see that the temp fix was quick to implement while a more permanent fix is created. I'm sorry that you were caught mid-edit with the new implementation. It was never my intention to cause tension, just to immediately stop the destruction of information. It wasn't announced right away because of time. A permanent fix has not been implemented due to feedback and time. Hopefully time will be on our side in order to find and implement the permanent fix.

Phade.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:29 am

You know you guys could do this the other way around. Have a link on the bottom of the video comments page that says "more comments" or something, and have the locked info stored there. That way you don't have to worry about loosing the info. and about locked info covering the video description page.

Return to “Site Announcements”