Video info more restricted over time

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:27 pm

This thread makes me laff.

I see many (read: a small number) people bitching about something insignificant that will not in any significant way affect their lives. Yet, people still argue over what should and should not be done by the people who own this website and all information contained on it.

Seriously, people. If you're that upset, go make your own, "BETTER" music video website, and then you can run it however you damn well please.

Or, just keep acting like asses (and giving me more stuff at which to laugh).
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:30 pm

jbone wrote:This thread makes me laff.

I see many (read: a small number) people bitching about something insignificant that will not in any significant way affect their lives. Yet, people still argue over what should and should not be done by the people who own this website and all information contained on it.

Seriously, people. If you're that upset, go make your own, "BETTER" music video website, and then you can run it however you damn well please.

Or, just keep acting like asses (and giving me more stuff at which to laugh).
Amen. And Phade has said he's freaking working on it! Chill people. It wont kill you for your shit to be locked for a couple days while everything gets worked out. I don't like it either, but its not the end of the world!

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:18 pm

jbone wrote:I see many (read: a small number) people bitching about something insignificant that will not in any significant way affect their lives. Yet, people still argue over what should and should not be done by the people who own this website and all information contained on it.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=criticism
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 pm

I wonder if people will stop donating because of this... :roll:

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:45 pm

SuperFusion wrote:I wonder if people will stop donating because of this... :roll:
Considering your status, you're one to talk. Will people stop donating, just like everyone was gonna leave the site b/c the OT forum got removed? :roll:

I think it's necessary to preserve video descriptions - this site is primarily a catalogue, and information about a video is far more than just the anime and music used and I can't see any reason (other than being an ass and trying to prove a point, like Arigatomina seems to want to do) to want to delete info on the making of a video...

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:14 pm

dokool wrote:... and I can't see any reason (other than being an ass and trying to prove a point, like Arigatomina seems to want to do) to want to delete info on the making of a video...
Is it not possible that a video may be a very personal thing for the one who edited it, and that there may come a time when s/he doesn't feel comfortable any longer sharing such information about it with the entire Internet?

I know people can be pretty sensitive sometimes about their work... I mean, it wasn't until I got some pretty negative feedback on them that I realized how bad my first two videos were and wanted to remove them from the 'net (but THEY WEREN'T EVER ON LOCAL, so don't jump down my throat).
In my case, it is simply a matter of not wanting to be embarrassed. If those two videos were suddenly once again made available to everyone, I'd be horrified.

</personal example>
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:25 pm

Hey,
SarahtheBoring wrote:...wow. Amen, and amen again. I'd probably steal dokidoki's long-standing idea of hosting notes offsite. I know, no big loss in my case, but really... I realize you liked Tom's info, or whatever is the actual problem here (you keep saying "problem" and "destruction," but what actually happened to bring about this huge, irritating change on every single one of the members here?)
I never said that I liked Tom's info. This isn't about liking or disliking. It's all about destruction of information (the pet peeve of those people who are trying to create an archive). Some people posted, "Dude, WTF with Tom's vids?" which meant that there was a problem. This has happened in the past with other videos, but nobody really noticed. Having members point out the problem was the straw that broke the camel's back. Immediate action had to be taken.

Everyone who is complaining seems to be missing one major point: This is a TEMPORARY SOLUTION. I have already stated multiple times that members will be fully and freely able to manipulate every word of the information displayed in their video profile once the new system is implemented. The only difference will be that changes will be archived. The current TEMPORARY SOLUTION is in place to prevent further destruction of information.
SarahtheBoring wrote:...back on track, I realize you liked whatever was lost, or whatever, but this is a badly executed solution. It does irk me that we lost this little bit of control over our work, but apparently that's not going to be given back.
Again, this is a TEMPORARY SOLUTION which means that it will change. Control will be restored. The TEMPORARY SOLUTION will be replaced by a more permanent solution. The TEMPORARY SOLUTION was implemented in the way it was because it was very easy and fast to implement. The permanent solution will take much more time to implement.

In fact, I am currently spending time replying to posts instead of coding the permanent solution on top of watching the price of gas at the corner gas station go from $2.49 to $3.09 in a matter of hours with a line of cars 20 long waiting to get gas and wondering if things are going to get bad as the night goes on and if the thugs down the street are going to try to suck the gas out of my car or worse and just how high the tension is going to get in the neighborhood where I live right here right now. As you can probably guess, I’m a little bit stressed right now.
SarahtheBoring wrote:Also, really, what the hell was Tom's gorgeously perfectly awesome best-thing-ever description style, that made you piss off thousands of users in grief and rage over its loss? Was it reeeeeeeeeeeeally that important? Seriously.
Nope. In fact, his information is rather mediocre. Again, that is not the point. The point is that information was lost, people complained. If you are trying to maintain an archive, loss of information is the worst possible thing than can happen.

I would also like to point out that those people who are planning on having their video information be hosted externally will have the following problems:

* People will not be able to search for your video very well by using the site search features since your video information will not be in the site system
* If your site goes down, members will not be able to read your video information

Now, I can either go back to writing code in order to make everyone happier or we can continue the debate. All in favor of code writing, please respond nicely. All those in favor of more debate, please respond nicely.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:28 am

Cheers for code writing!
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 am

Phade wrote:I would also like to point out that those people who are planning on having their video information be hosted externally will have the following problems:

* People will not be able to search for your video very well by using the site search features since your video information will not be in the site system
I'd be curious to know how many people actually use the "comments" field when searching; I always assumed that people using the Super Search usually searched by creator, studio, title, music/artist, anime used, and/or contests instead.
If it turns out I'm right about that, then as long as the title, music, anime, etc. are all correctly in the database, this really wouldn't have a great negative effect on searchability.

I don't suppose the site keeps statistics on searches like that though?

Okay, so let's get some more input on possible <b>permanent</b> solutions! Personally, I still like the snapshot history idea, perhaps combined with a link in the video info to all the earlier versions, or else only rolling back to a previous version when complaints make it necessary (and then lock the individual video to append-only).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:24 am

Tono_Fyr wrote:
Corran wrote:Perhaps after a rollback you could make it so the comments become append only. Also, examining a video's comment history would probably only need to be done while reviewing delete requests and thus the admin overhead wouldn't be too bad.
I've been wondering if anyone is even going to NOTICE this idea. Personally, I think it's the best solution to this particular problem. As long as a rollback is not needed, then you can do whatever you want with your video information. Do something stupid, you get a roll back, and can now only append. That seems like it'll suit EVERYONES needs.
Well, I'm glad one person noticed this suggestion at least. :P I think Phade has looked at it but as you can see from current replies I can understand if he doesn't reply to it. I hope he finds it as a good solution though.

Return to “Site Announcements”