Video info more restricted over time

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:56 pm

rofl

You make it sound like that's any time soon, Scintilla.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey,

SarahtheBoring: I believe the video description information is very important to the video entry. Anybody can look at a video to determine what anime and song was used. Only the video creator can fill in the blanks as to the motivations for creating it, time spent, lessons learned, etc. Sure, some people put something like "This is my video" as the description, but there's nothing we can do about that. If the video creator takes the time to put in interesting information about the video, the site should take steps to preserve that information. Nobody is asking for any particular length of entry. Again, the vast majority of video descriptions written are meant to be useful information about the video and not some long rant about the video.

Arigatomina: It has already been proposed (and will be implemented) that link comments go with the link entry itself and not in the video description. This would solve the link comment problem so that the description does not have a string of "Link is up", "Link is down", "Link is up" appends.

All: Again, we are still trying to come up with the best way to handle this situation. The current fix is temporary to prevent further destruction of information. When we figure something out and implement it, things should be much better. The point is not to control what is and is not written about videos, but to prevent destruction of useful information about the videos.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:23 pm

By fixing a problem you've caused a problem. We only have 2 weeks to edit our video's profile and by doing this you've pissed org frequents off. What exactly is this "hope this helps?" You can't help when you just sitck with an idea that no one wants. I mean, wtf.. My video's information should have nothing to do with whether you find it useful to understand the video or not to you(or whether you find it important). I coulda swore it was for the editor to post information he felt neccessary. If I feel that all that needs to be said is "Well, yeah. I tried hard on this video," than it should have no effect on someone else because I'm the one who made the video. I mean, shit.. What's next, Phade? Are you going to add some shit that doesen't allow me to post a video entry if there aren't more than 100 characters? What's the exact purpose of this site, again? Did you change your mind about what you wanted the site's goal to be? I'm not satisfied with the answer you're providing me with. I need more than "it's a temporary installment." Tell me exactly what about my video's information is so important that I can't edit it after two weeks? Ruining the video's information? What the hell.. it's my video.. I should be able to do whatever the hell I want because I'm the one who made it.[/b]

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm

Phade wrote: The problem with that method is that there is no way to stop the member from re-messing up their entry once it is fixed. We would also have to monitor all video description changes made every day (all new entries + all modifications = all changes). It becomes a large admin task. Reducing admin overhead is a top priority for the new system, whatever it becomes.

Keep the ideas coming!

Phade.
I like Zarx's idea. Instead of worrying about if they change their comments (and having to monitor them), perhaps have an archive, that stores all the comment changes, and is available for all the members to look at?

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 pm

Sanity check, folks: this is damage control.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey SuperFusion,

I seriously doubt you speak for the majority here. Plenty of other people have already responded with all possible answers to the temporary fix: "It's a good idea", "I'm not sure about the idea", and "It's a bad idea".

Just to clarify: There is no restriction on the amount of information a video creator can put up about their video. Members are fully free and welcome to put no information, some information, or an encyclopedia about their video and it is all up to the video creator to enter the information they believe is necessary. This has not changed with the implementation of this temporary fix.

What has changed is the ability for a video creator to destroy information about their video. Since the vast majority of video creators enter the video information and then don't change it ever, the temporary fix affects a small number of video creators. So far, the biggest concern has been with video link comments (link up/down notes). A solution is already being implemented to make this concern go away. This leaves a very small group of members who are potentially in need of further modifications to the video description. A solution is being created for these people as soon as the exact nature of the modifications can be categorized.

What the site as a whole has to now determine is the balance between the preservation of information about the video vs. the inconvenience created by any of the preservation methods.

Just as a side note, the way I personally use the video description (and I'm probably not alone here) is that I look at how well the description has been written. I use the notes given to help me determine if I should bother to take the time to download and view the video. If the creator has taken the time to write well-formed notes about the video, it is a good chance that the creator has taken the time to make a well-formed video; if the creator has junk notes, the video is likely to be junk.

I hope this explanation helps.

Phade.

SuperFusion
Org Profile

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:08 pm

Your statement about videos with junk notes are probably junk is crap. I need to take the time to write a summary on a video to make it actually enjoyable? This is obviously opinion-based. I don't see why I have to give a valid reason to an admin just so I can edit information on a video(after the two week period) that I created. Corran's idea seems to be more reasonable than the one you've installed. It seems you're putting effort into 'trying' to fixing problems that weren't much of a big deal to begin with.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:12 pm

Phade wrote:Arigatomina: It has already been proposed (and will be implemented) that link comments go with the link entry itself and not in the video description. This would solve the link comment problem so that the description does not have a string of "Link is up", "Link is down", "Link is up" appends.
This will solve the problem for future videos. It won't let me edit the indirect information currently on my existing videos if I need to change hosting methods.

My biggest complaint is that there was no warning. If I had just put up my first video, I would see this thread and realize I have 2 weeks to decide what I want written forever. I had no warning, so now I'm stuck with what's up there. That's not fair.

I'd ask that the lock be undone and everyone be given access back for two weeks before this new lock is put into place again, so we all have the same chance future members will have to decide exactly what we want written to represent our videos forever.

But you know, at this point, I'd probably just use the two weeks to delete every single one of my video profiles. I've never written a vid description with the intent to have it sitting permanent. My opinion is not a concrete thing like a video file. What this lock has done is removed my right to change my public opinion about my own video. If I'd known I'd lose access to the vid descriptions, I'd never have written any of them.

I'll take the positive route and believe it's temporary, but if it starts to look like you'll keep it this way, please put a warning for future members on the 'create new video Step 1' page. Some of the longer vid descriptions read like stories, and you have no right to steal someone's story, no matter how short or informal it might be. For that sort of thing, you need a warning for the joining members to see and accept, giving you permission to keep what they submit to this site. We already have that for the video files, but you need it for the written descriptions as well. Even more, since the written descriptions are not fanwork, and are the sole property of the writer.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm

note that employing append-only editing does not solve entries like these: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... .php?v=166

personally i am opposed to the current solution because IMO the costs in terms of flexibility and privacy outweigh the benefits. the best solution i can come up with is the same as zarx's suggestion for a publicly available backlog of vid descriptions.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm

Hey SuperFusion,

You missed the point. Good notes are not needed to enjoy the video. Good notes make it much more likely that I will actually download and view the video. It has been my experience that bad notes usually correlate to a bad video; therefore, I am much less likely to download a video that has junk notes about it. Also, this is just how I personally view and use video descriptions.

The temporary fix that has been implemented was put in place because it fixed the problem of preserving video description information and it was very fast to implement (it took about 30 mins to create the change). A better solution (such as ones that have been suggested) will take many hours to implement. (If there was a working programmers group, the solution could be implemented much faster.)

For now, I am taking the feedback given here to help come up with the best solution for all aspects of the problem (information destruction). As of now, I am leaning towards some kind of a "description history" solution which should allow for the free manipulation of the video description while simultaneously preserving all "versions" of the video information, but nothing is written in stone yet. Once the exact solution has been determined, it will then be implemented.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

Return to “Site Announcements”