Video info more restricted over time

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:54 pm

Phade wrote:Hey All,

FYI: Link comments are now available.

Phade.
Er... can you explain exactly what that means?

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:14 pm

Nobody's got a gun to your head making you read, Phade; by all means, code if that's the best use of your time.

And please, every argument we have on the internet is not the end of the world. I don't even think about this 23.75 hours of the day. It's just an interesting discussion. Overreact much?

Anyway, my vote for a permanent solution is to give us a grace period to edit old info before a true lockdown, because we weren't aware that this was all going on the permanent record. Then, the two-week rule is fine. Not optimal, but not a problem either.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:36 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:Nobody's got a gun to your head making you read, Phade; by all means, code if that's the best use of your time.

And please, every argument we have on the internet is not the end of the world. I don't even think about this 23.75 hours of the day. It's just an interesting discussion. Overreact much?

Anyway, my vote for a permanent solution is to give us a grace period to edit old info before a true lockdown, because we weren't aware that this was all going on the permanent record. Then, the two-week rule is fine. Not optimal, but not a problem either.
Dammit, I'm going to quote the best suggestion from this topic AGAIN until someone actually acknowledges its existance.
Corran wrote:Perhaps after a rollback you could make it so the comments become append only.
READ IT, DAMMIT! That's the one that should be used, as it's optimal sollution.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:41 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:Dammit, I'm going to quote the best suggestion from this topic AGAIN until someone actually acknowledges its existance.
Corran Productions wrote:Perhaps after a rollback you could make it so the comments become append only.
READ IT, DAMMIT! That's the one that should be used, as it's optimal sollution.
Um, I just acknowledged that solution on the previous page...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:05 pm

tono_fyr - it's not that i don't acknowledge it, it's that i don't consider it the best solution.

anyways, phade - it broke the video info pages
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=56447
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:53 pm

Hey,
SarahtheBoring wrote:Nobody's got a gun to your head making you read, Phade; by all means, code if that's the best use of your time.
Here's the whole thing from my perspective:

Awww geez, people are deleting useful information! Something has to be done so that information is not being lost. What is the quickest, easiest thing I can in the next 30-45 mins to prevent any further information loss while a better solution is found? Making entries that are already limited be append-only. Since I already have the "limit" detection function written, this will be a snap. This will allow people who haven't yet solidified their entry to make final edits while those who have generally don't change information very often if at all.

Ok, now that information can't get lost, I can take some time to consult admins/coders and think of better way to handle info loss. Since the vast majority of people write up their video description and then don't touch it for a long time if ever, only a very few people will be affected if they even notice at all.

What's this? Somebody noticed. Time to write up a quick explanation of what is going on while plans are being made.

Hmmm. Seems like the apparent lack of instantaneous communication has been deemed teh eval. Well, I guess I had better address every point that comes along rather than actually work on code so that people will calm down.

Yeikes! People are really making a mountain out of this temporary mole hill, screaming that the sky is falling and crying and peeing in their pants. I guess lots of communication is not the answer either. I guess I should just go back to coding and deal with debate later on.

First things first: link comments, since that seems to be the majority of vid profile updates. People should be happy now that that's in place. Nope, not even happy that comments are available. Oh well. Back to coding...

Phade.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:stuff
I have to say, your frequent alternation between overly-self-important and overly-self-deprecating is getting quite tiring.

Please pick one and stick to it. It'll make your criticism hold more water, and it'll allow people to take you more seriously.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 pm

Phade wrote:First things first: link comments, since that seems to be the majority of vid profile updates. People should be happy now that that's in place. Nope, not even happy that comments are available. Oh well. Back to coding...
I, for one, am still not quite sure what "link comments" means -- the form for editing the video info doesn't look any different, and neither do the video info pages themselves (but thank you for getting them back up). Could someone who knows please explain?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:22 pm

Hey,
Scintilla wrote:I, for one, am still not quite sure what "link comments" means -- the form for editing the video info doesn't look any different, and neither do the video info pages themselves (but thank you for getting them back up). Could someone who knows please explain?
Link comments are on the "edit links" page, not the "edit vid info" page. Hopefully you should see a big difference there and "ahh ha!" will soon follow. :-)

Phade.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:36 am

Phade: It seems that people simply don't believe you when you say this is temporary; that's all. It's a waste of your time to keep commenting on this as it takes time away from your coding and makes the ney-sayers believe their assumption is correct for longer...
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Announcements”