2005 VCA Results

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.
shiryu.23
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Toulouse (France)
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby shiryu.23 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:30 pm

Claps for All :wink:

And ..... Go Animix !!! :D

User avatar
Coshy
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:42 am
Location: Lower Saxony/Germany
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Coshy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:40 pm

In my opinion, you all deserved to win ^-^
When someone thinks differently, he/she
just has to make a video that is so brilliant
that it's going to win next years VCA...
But however..excluding one
category, all my votes won,...
I should be happy ^-^
Do we live to watch Anime or do we watch Anime to live?

User avatar
Otohiko
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:32 pm
Org Profile

Postby Otohiko » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:50 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Esc wrote:The major disappointment of the year was Best Horror/Terror Video. Maybe it's about time to rename the nomination to "Best Parody on Horror/Terror Video".


Or maybe you can stop bitching about the supposed lack of quality and make something better yourself and win the category?


As much as I don't want to start any argument in the wrong direction here, I think you misunderstood what Esc actually meant. This is more of a personal disappointment with the fact that there was a nominee who far better matched the category's criteria, and didn't win.

Again, not to start any arguments here.

***

But to distance this away from the creators, all of whom surely did a great job, I would like to instead ask the voters: why did you vote the way you did in some of the seemingly more puzzling results? For instance I'm baffled by VicBond's "Most Helpful" win - I really appreciate his recent guide, but I'm surpised since I literally never saw him elsewhere in the community in the last year. I thought for sure that the whole group of members who run around daily helping newbies on the forum with all kinds of technical stuff would be the more logical choice.

Really, I for one would love to know why the videos and creators we are now honoring as the year's best were chosen as the best. I'm not questioning the results in any way.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

User avatar
keeso
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:29 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby keeso » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:11 pm

YAY, Janzki, you are the first finnish VCA winner :D Your vid rocks.

Congrats to all the winners. :lol:
Lousy editing since 2004 :beer: :lol:
ImageImage

User avatar
tuathaanwarrior
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: Columbia, Maryland
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby tuathaanwarrior » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Congrats to all who won.

As for the other nominees, every video that got nominated that i watched deserves recognition so great job and congrats.

User avatar
Brsrk
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Brooklyn, MI
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Brsrk » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:05 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Brsrk wrote:The prime example is Shounen Bushido (not to pick on it or anything, but congrats to you istiv for your 3 awards). It was up for Best Character Profile, I didn't see how it was since there were a ton of other characters singing along also instead of just following one or two people.


It was there because the creator ticked the box and because hundreds of people agreed by voting for it. While you may not agree, this is the Viewers Choice. The public have spoken.

We did remove some entries from the running but with something like Character Profile it is a matter of interpretation and opinion and when it comes to a matter of opinion we leave whatever the creator put on the video entry. Anything else would have been the AD&Phade choice awards.

I know this is the Viewers Choice Awards, and I know that what the public says is what wins and doesn't, but no one has a more powerful voice than the public.

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:P.S. Just to remind everyone I'd like people to be respectful toward the creators - it is not their fault that they have won certain things, it is the members who did the voting. This is not directed at an individual but instead just a reminder to not make someone feel bad for winning. They didn't ask to win but they did deserve to because they got the most votes, whether you agree or not.

This is definately the truth that was spoken there. I think after this I'll just stop posting in this thread and try to avoid other VCA related threads...

I can't think of anything else to say, so that pretty much does it for me on the 2005 VCAs...
Pwolf wrote:that music was way to "happy" for an anime as dramatic as the kenshin ova... your an evil evil person :P :up: Pwolf
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=87528

User avatar
Anamorphic Productions
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:35 pm
Location: On Venus Just To Kill Some Time For Tea, OK?
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Anamorphic Productions » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:11 pm

Just adding onto the thanks here. My GOD, I had ompletely written myself off in the competition over the last week, thinking I couldn't possibly hold up to the other, MEP videos in the Dance Category.

I have never been so happy to be wrong! Thank you!

User avatar
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Joined: Thu May 03, 2001 4:17 pm
Location: Some where in California, I forgot :\
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Pwolf » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:14 pm

congrats to all.


Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.

User avatar
Warheart
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:58 am
Status: Immersed
Location: In Fiction
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Warheart » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:18 pm

Only one of the videos I voted for in the finals won something (Insomia by Janzki) :(.

User avatar
Phade
Site Admin
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2000 10:49 pm
Location: Little cabin in the woods...
Org Profile

Postby Phade » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Hey All,

UPDATE: All winners now have collaborators listed with them. Sorry for the previous oversight.

Phade.

User avatar
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:59 pm
Status: Always around, creating more AMVs. :)
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby GloryQuestor » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Congratulations to everyone who won. :)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - AMV Events
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Technology Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
AkaiCon - AMV Contest & Video Department Staff

User avatar
Flint the Dwarf
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:58 pm
Location: Ashland, WI
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:53 pm

Scintilla wrote:
flint_the_dwarf wrote:I don't want to start a big debate or anything, and I sure as hell don't mean to insult Scintilla, but I don't think Eva Bebop really should have won Best Instrumental. This is just my opinion. But I think there were at least two other videos that better suited the category, and fit far better as an instrumental video.

I <i>knew</i> someone was going to mention this...

I kind of don't know what to say about this, because the award description states: "<b>The focus of the editing shifts from lyrics-matching to pure musical flow and concept.</b>" Obviously this doesn't happen in AEO:EB, depending on how you use the word "concept".

However, the description also states: "<b>The only requirement for this category is that the video’s music cannot contain any words.</b>" So unless you count the short spoken part at the beginning, the video <i>did</i> technically qualify for the category...

I'm very well aware of that, Scintilla. Which is why...

I wrote:It seems, and this is unavoidable, that people voted Eva Bebop for their favorite video that happened to have no vocals. I'm sure we all have different opinions on how instrumental videos are best portrayed, so I'll end here

I know what qualifies for an instrumental video, but I said that I have a different view on how they are best portrayed. I didn't say that I think it's wrong that your video won, or that I don't understand why it won, just that I don't agree with it. This is not to say I think you made a bad video either.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

User avatar
greenjinjo
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:06 am
Location: I was awesome, you loved it.
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby greenjinjo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:54 pm

Congrats to all the winners, guess I'll just have to try again next year :wink:
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

User avatar
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:28 am
Status: out of service
Location: storrs, ct
Contact:
Org Profile

Postby downwithpants » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:45 pm

i believe that the reason why some site regulars may find some of the winners confusing is that they aren't taking into account that a large chunk of the vote is coming from voters who only watch a handful of videos and hear about a few prominent editors per year, mainly the most popular ones (made so popular by success at conventions, top ---- lists, and word of mouth). it is probable that a lot of votes were cast without watching all the videos or knowing all members in that category. it may be that voters do understand that they should vote for "best ---- video" the video that best demonstrates the description of the category, and not just their favorite video, but since these voters haven't seen all nominated videos, they vote for the ones they have seen.

as an example: vic's guide, which did not make a big splash on the forums because many forum regulars are familiar with eadfag, most likely had a very strong reach on non-forum regulars, because for whatever reasons it is more welcoming than eadfag to read, giving the vic and his guide very good exposure. on the other hand, members who help on the site may spend a lot effort, but their exposure is much more limited because they are only helping one person at a time.

site regulars who are unfamiliar with the vcas will learn that exposure plays a significant role, in addition to popularity (which is a slightly different thing). this in no way takes any credit away from the winners.

this has been a trend in past years, which is why i'm making the assumption that exposure played a role this year.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

User avatar
Otohiko
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 8:32 pm
Org Profile

Postby Otohiko » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:53 pm

Yea, that makes sense. I was just wondering whether Vic did anything else that would've scored him the win here - if indeed people voted for him based on the guide alone, then I can only give him a huge thumbs up for such a helpful guide.

I never doubted that the non-forum people exert a huge influence, nor do I have any problem with that. It's more the fact that there's so many who only watch and vote based on, as you say, a handful of videos and have such a big influence that bothers me... but hey, nothing we can do with that.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…


Return to “Site Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests