New Search Option: Quick Search

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

New Search Option: Quick Search

Post by Phade » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Hey All,

There is now a new search option: Quick Search. This is just a one-line input box that takes your criteria, tries to read your mind, and then gives you results orderd by the system's best guess as to what you wanted. Hopefully this simplified search will help.

Good luck and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Re: New Search Option: Quick Search

Post by Gemberkoekje » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Phade wrote:tries to read your mind, and then gives you results orderd by the system's best guess as to what you wanted.
What does this mean... in programmers terms?
BakaNeko.nl!

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Hey Gemberkoekje,

There is this new javascript app integrated into the site that Google created and released called "Mind Reader", which is actaully the core of the Google search engine. It does a brain scan using your wireless network card when you hit the form "submit" button to get a better idea of what you were looking for. Just kidding... :-)

There are several items that the search compares with the entered criteria: video title, video comments, video content (anime, music, creator), and the combined mess of them all together with any uploaded video file information. Each term is weighted and a total score for the video vs. critera is calculated. The results are then order by the score, highest to lowest.

Phade.

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Post by Gemberkoekje » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:52 pm

Phade wrote:There is this new javascript app integrated into the site that Google created and released called "Mind Reader", which is actaully the core of the Google search engine. It does a brain scan using your wireless network card when you hit the form "submit" button to get a better idea of what you were looking for. Just kidding... :-)
Ah - so that's why i have those headaches lately... Guess i'm oversensitive :P

Can't it also check the searcher's favorite video's and favorite anime?

That's already more of a 'mind search' i guess
BakaNeko.nl!

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:57 pm

Quick search seems pretty good, however a few quirks. If I put in the exact title of many of my amvs, the result I want usually isn't at the top of the list.
For example, if you search "AMV Hell", then the first result is "AMV Hell 2" which seems fine. The next results range from "Highway to Hell", "The Hell Song", "Burn in Hell", and a few others before we get to the one titled just simply "AMV Hell".

Another example, I searched for another of my own amvs, "The Way She Loves Me". Some of the first results are things like "She Loves Me Not", and my video which is an exact title match comes up 9th place.

In addition, what about placing the quick search on the main menu, thus saving people from having to load up an extra page each time they want to search?

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:22 pm

Hey Zarxrax,

The quick search takes into account all aspects of the video information. For the example of "amv hell", there are several reasons why the video AMV Hell 2 would come up ahead of the original AMV Hell video. The main reason is that AMV Hell 2 has the terms "amv hell" twice in the title of the video and twice again in the description of the video; the original AMV Hell only has the term one time in the title and once in the description. According to the overall placement and frequency of the search terms, AMV Hell 2 appears to the system to be more likely what you were looking for.

If you already knew the exact title of the video, the Super Search is a better tool to use. However, if you are not sure of what exactly you are looking for, the Quick Search may be a better tool than Super Search. Examples: A Quick Search for "kevin caldwell" comes up with better and faster results than a Super Search query. A Quick Search for "lum linger" will pull up the old Duane Johnson video that I played at a convention much easier than using the Super Search.

Quick Search is not meant to be the ultimate search tool, just a place that will hopefully give you a good start. The Quick Search will be tweaked for better results as better ideas of how it should work come up. I do plan on putting the Quick Search entry form on the main menu or some other obvious place in the near future.

I hope this helps.

Phade.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:23 am

Oh, I like this!
Though I hope that people wont abuse this function by spamming their video comments with keywords... :|

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:52 am

Hey Jasper-Isis,

If it becomes a problem, the Quick Searh will go away.

Phade.

Gemberkoekje
Org Profile

Post by Gemberkoekje » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:54 am

Phade wrote:Hey Jasper-Isis,

If it becomes a problem, the Quick Searh will go away.

Phade.
Who gave them the idea in the first place ;)

No seriously - i think you should punish the bad vid-entry's, not the search..
BakaNeko.nl!

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:38 am

this is seriously very cool. there are so many times when i know exactly what video im looking for but have to go through the process of super searching.

awesome :D

Return to “Site Announcements”