Super Search Update

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Postby SQ » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Awesome, Phade.
Thanks!
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
SQ
Doesn't have a title

Postby Zarxrax » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:51 pm

I just noticed that the super search now has a "Category" field. However, I think the current implementation isn'tvery straightforward. The majority of people have absolutely no idea how to hold shift and select multiple items in the list. A better method for something like this would be to have checkboxes for each category, and a radio button to choose whether to include or ignore those categories.
Zarxrax

Postby Phade » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:58 pm

Hey,

I was trying to reduce height the already overly tall form. Choosing multiple options in a select list has been around since, well, the select list. I figured people would have run into them in forms before where a selection is an option.

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby Zarxrax » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Well, i agree that the super search is getting rather huge and unwieldly. Although I do believe that most users have no concept of how to properly use this multiple select box.

An alternative approach that you might try can be seen here: http://www.phpcomplete.com/archives/200 ... one-right/

I'm not sure how this works in regards to browser compatability, but it works fine in firefox.

As the super search is getting so difficult to use, I would suggest a new, simpler search method. This may be similar to the old "power search", but I don't exactly recall how that worked. Amazon.com's search has been touted as a good example for other sites to follow. It is merely a text box where you can type in what you wish to search for, then under it there is a dropdown box that lets you choose what category you would like to search through. Something like this could be placed directly on the members' sidebar, and offer simple options like Title, Anime, Song, Song Artist, and Creator. I believe that this would satisfy most users search needs, and best of all, I believe you could just reuse code from the super search for it :P
Zarxrax

Postby Phade » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Hey,

I'm actually working on a "Quick Search" which will be a one line input box and a "go" button. It will then try its best to figure out what the heck you want. It's still very much in pre-alpha stage and I don't yet know if the results will even be reliable enough to even have it, but we shall see.

As for the Super Search options, I'll take a look at it and see what happens.

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Sounds great Phade :D
Zarxrax

Postby Orwell » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:43 pm

Has the search by comments field alway's been there, and I just didn't pay attention to it till now? And how does it work? Does it go through all the comments and search for the words you put in there, or does it go by relevance to the song, or title? If this is in the wrong place, I apologize.
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby Scintilla » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Orwell wrote:Has the search by comments field alway's been there, and I just didn't pay attention to it till now?

Yes, though you didn't miss much, because it never worked properly before. :)

Orwell wrote:And how does it work? Does it go through all the comments and search for the words you put in there...

Yes.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Orwell » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:07 pm

When I do a search with lain as anime, and breathing by wires as the song, nothing comes up. If i do with the full name of the anime, serial experiments lain, it comes out fine, or if i just search for the song, it works fine. if i go by lain, and the artist The Juliana Theory, it comes out fine. only when entering lain, and the the song name does it fail. i tested it out with several other animes and songs using the same conditions, and it works, so i dont know if its a bug or not. it could by my computer or just me doing something wrong, but i figured it might be a good idea to mention it anyways.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Previous

Return to Site Announcements