Site on New Server and Host

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:28 pm

Hey Phade, I know how ya feel, I am basically in the same boat :\. Job interview tommorow atleast though, which hopefully won't suck the life out of me. It's a call center job though, so :roll: -grr

~klinky

TaranT
Org Profile

Re: Site on New Server and Host

Post by TaranT » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:03 am

Phade wrote:Hey All,

The site has now moved to a new server with a new hosting company. This new one is a dedicated box (instead of a shared one like the old host), has 40G of drive space (up from 1G) so logs can now be turned on (horay for performance monitoring!), 512M ram (up from 128M), and a P4 processor (instead of PIII).

So, you guys notice a performance difference with the new setup?

Phade.
I was doing a lot of searches over the weekend and the response times were fine. I can't say if they're faster than before the switch.

Things are really weird tonight, though. The forum seems to be ok, but when I tried to go back to my main page, it loaded part of the page over and over and over...until I linked elsewhere. Also, some database pages just come up blank (white). Source-view shows a few lines and no more.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:05 am

Hey Phade, forsome reason I can't view the main site on IE, I haev no problems with netscape (which is what I'm using now) but IE it loads for half a second and says "done" even though it has pulled up nothing. In soem casses I'm still looking at the page I was just at.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:52 am

The Wired Knight wrote:Hey Phade, forsome reason I can't view the main site on IE, I haev no problems with netscape (which is what I'm using now) but IE it loads for half a second and says "done" even though it has pulled up nothing. In soem casses I'm still looking at the page I was just at.
I'm getting the same problem... and I hate netscape.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:26 am

Hey,

It's fixed now. We were trying to get some extra performance out of the new machine, but the page not coming up is not what we had in mind. It should be working again now.

Phade.

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Re: Site on New Server and Host

Post by derobert » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:13 am

TaranT wrote: Things are really weird tonight, though. The forum seems to be ok, but when I tried to go back to my main page, it loaded part of the page over and over and over...until I linked elsewhere. Also, some database pages just come up blank (white). Source-view shows a few lines and no more.
My fault. I put some code on the server to find out which pages are slowing things down (btw, whoever waited through the 26-minute anime.php search, I have one thing to say: You have NO life, and I mean none) and it seems to have broken Internet Explorer support.

Oops. D'oh! It appears that the PHP docs lie (shutdown functions can produce output, oops) and when they do --- especially when you have output compression turned on --- things break. It appears the Mozilla manages to ignore junk tacked onto the end of compressed output, while IE just displays a blank page.

Anyway, even with the site half-broken last night, all the profiling has produced useful data. Looking at it now, expect more speedups soon. Hopefully ones that won't break IE. :evil:
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Return to “Site Announcements”