Instrumental and Sentimental categories added!

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Postby Cyanna » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:52 pm

Romance = interaction between two characters that shows attraction and interest in each other. Can be angsty, touching or comedic. Should be easy to spot when you see it.

Drama = angsty

Comedy/Upbeat = makes you laugh or it's just a lot of fun to watch.

Sentimental = not funny or angsty. It doesn't have to be romantic but it can still tug at your heartstrings. Like a relationship between siblings or parent to child or good friends.

At least that's how I would define them anyway.
Cyanna

Postby AMVfreak » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:41 pm

Great additions, I must say.

Although the definition of 'sentimental' may be very different
from each creator's perspective, and I don't know how we'll go
about that?
Making a clear definition for sentimental will surely
make it easier to categorize, but it can be translated into,
oh so many feelings.
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK
AMVfreak

Postby dwchang » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:42 pm

AMVfreak wrote:Great additions, I must say.

Although the definition of 'sentimental' may be very different
from each creator's perspective...but it can be translated into, oh so many feelings.

But perhaps that's why it's a great category. Broad yes, but a lot of us can agree that it is a category...we just all define it as something different. The last one downwithpants mentioned was mine ;). It was the description we had in AWA Pro and seems to correlate with the dictionary definition.

However, you're right...it is different to all creators. So I guess it's up to each of us if we categorize our vid as that...which is how it is right now. Just click :P.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby downwithpants » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:00 am

the problem is, what video doesn't attempt to incite an emotion, positive or negative?
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person

Postby SarahtheBoring » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:47 pm

Personally I will continue to use "drama" or "romance" instead of the new "dramance," 'cause I don't see the point. (PS. Drama != angsty. Where did that assumption come from? Seen the Oscars lately? Drama == serious.)

Still don't see how "instrumental" refers to the AMV editing, and not the music. "Rock" isn't an AMV genre, after all.

...but this is just a choice; if everyone else sees a vast difference I'm not going to rain on your parade, and the Powers That Be Have Spoken(tm). I'm just a bit befuddled about it.
SarahtheBoring

Postby Cyanna » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:25 pm

Yeah I know. I've just seen a lot of vids where serious does mean angsty so I just...mixed them together. ^_^;
Cyanna

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:59 am

SarahtheBoring wrote:the Powers That Be Have Spoken(tm). I'm just a bit befuddled about it.

These new categories are designed to help the VCAs more than anything else. We always have Sentimental and Instrumental categories in the VCAs but have to include every video that year as possibles which is clearly not appropriate.

One could argue that Eternal Damnation last year wasn't instrumental at all - it had lyrics, it's just that they were in Latin.

Although I'd prefer the categories to be more useful for the viewer I do think we need these for the VCAs (and they have been rewuested numerous times).
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby paizuri » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:31 am

I hope that we can add a Dramedy category soon. I predict it will be the next trend in AMVs!
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.
paizuri

Postby Scintilla » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:07 pm

paizuri wrote:I hope that we can add a Dramedy category soon. I predict it will be the next trend in AMVs!

I says <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=28816">the comedy is that it's serious</a>. :D

(I had to!)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Coffee 54 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:24 pm

It occurs to me that Instrumental and Sentimental will now have filters on the top ten percent. Checks...

Ok Scintilla is the first at the top of Instrumental, while though not at the top, Arigatomyna dominates Sentimental.
Coffee 54

Postby SarahtheBoring » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:30 pm

ah, that makes sense. Even though it's kind of funny that an award for videos is going to change the kinds of videos that are made in the first place. Heh.

But if it's for the VCAs it isn't relevant to most of us, considering as old videos don't have to be changed to it and some of us don't qualify anyway.

That simplifies things.
SarahtheBoring

Previous

Return to Site Announcements