Search Tools Revised

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:09 am

I too really like the idea of the Suggestion Query. I also don't mind that it's currently restricted to donators. Basicly, just so long as privilages aren't taken away from us poor people, I'm happy.

I do have mixed feelings about the paging for the New Downloads section. I kinda liked having all new downloads come down in one big list. I'm also a little worried it will result in fewer downloads of my videos as more then 60% of my downloads come from the time spent on the big list. Although I'll reserve final judgement until I release another new video, and actually see if there's a noticable decline.

Chao
Org Profile

Post by Chao » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 pm

I also agree with having the new downloads as one list, especially if you've been away for a while and set it to a week or a month. Going though over 50 pages can be a bit annoying.

lilgumba
Org Profile

Post by lilgumba » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:48 pm

I think the suggestion query was pretty accurate. I had got some of those videos in some way before local downloads came so I probably won't download the ones I have again. I wouldn't mind seeing a feature added where I could get the ones I have seen off the list so I can see more of the newer videos I might enjoy or the ones that I have not seen before.

As far as the new downloads/videos page, it might get a little annoying scrolling through all those videos. By a certain page number I really won't check. Unless I check everyday I might miss a song or so. :\
Image Image

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:23 pm

The reason for splitting up the new downloads page is server load. It's one of the most popular pages on the whole site and all those database queries make the site slow down. It was split into pages to avoid slowing the site down.

Chao
Org Profile

Post by Chao » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:56 pm

If the problem is the database queries, how about a summary, which would be generated daily for the basic queries (weekly, monthly, local, exterior, sort by each of the headings), when looking over such a large period as a week or a month, missing a couple of new ones for that day isn't a big issue as a seperate 2 day search can be done. This way you only need to query the database something like 16 times a day for the long term searches, meaning that a full listing would no longer put a strain on the server.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:01 pm

Or have a list that is updated whenever a new video is added. Something that has about 100 or so amvs. When a new video is uploaded the one on the bottom is taken of the list. Sorta like the new video on the block but with 100 videos listed instead.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:22 pm

A "video suggestion" function is a rather interesting idea. But I just can't help noticing the fallacy of trying to quantify something that's rather subjective to begin with. Just because I give one particular kind/style of video 5 stars doesn't neccessarily mean I would like others in the same category. It might be a one of a kind that just shines above the rest. Although, it is a very interesting function to add.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:26 pm

It's not done by category - it's done by matching you up to people who liked and disliked the same kinds of videos you did and looking for the differences.

Did you find that the list it gave you were bad suggestions?

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:23 am

I actually found the list contained a lot of videos that were suited to my tastes (aside from a few random ones here and there). And the guy who made the video that it gave as the #1 suggestion seems familiar somehow :
:P

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:47 am

heh you think that's funny - in a beta version of this query it included your own videos and it recommended a bunch of my own to me :)

Return to “Site Announcements”