Search Tools Revised

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:26 pm

Of course actually downloading and rating the videos would be better than just tagging them as "watched", because it would give more data about what type of videos that you like watching.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Well true... but that is a lot of bandwidth to waste for something like that. That is unless Phade makes it so you can rate stuff without downloading the files. I highly doubt he would do that though.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:43 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Of course actually downloading and rating the videos would be better than just tagging them as "watched", because it would give more data about what type of videos that you like watching.
Yeah but it's people like you sending me videos before they are released that stop me from having them downloaded locally :P

Pyle
Org Profile

Post by Pyle » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:08 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:Of course actually downloading and rating the videos would be better than just tagging them as "watched", because it would give more data about what type of videos that you like watching.
Yeah but it's people like you sending me videos before they are released that stop me from having them downloaded locally :P
:lol: lol

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:55 am

Corran wrote:Now when I rate I think whether or not I want to see more of those types of videos appearing on the list which is how I'm sure Phade wanted the star scale to originally be intended.
+1
I think it'll make us rate more honestly than ever.
rather than "yeah, this video is good even if I don't really like it", we'll vote according to our real personal thoughts.

Thanks Phade for this feature :D

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:09 am

I too really like the idea of the Suggestion Query. I also don't mind that it's currently restricted to donators. Basicly, just so long as privilages aren't taken away from us poor people, I'm happy.

I do have mixed feelings about the paging for the New Downloads section. I kinda liked having all new downloads come down in one big list. I'm also a little worried it will result in fewer downloads of my videos as more then 60% of my downloads come from the time spent on the big list. Although I'll reserve final judgement until I release another new video, and actually see if there's a noticable decline.

Chao
Org Profile

Post by Chao » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:55 pm

I also agree with having the new downloads as one list, especially if you've been away for a while and set it to a week or a month. Going though over 50 pages can be a bit annoying.

lilgumba
Org Profile

Post by lilgumba » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:48 pm

I think the suggestion query was pretty accurate. I had got some of those videos in some way before local downloads came so I probably won't download the ones I have again. I wouldn't mind seeing a feature added where I could get the ones I have seen off the list so I can see more of the newer videos I might enjoy or the ones that I have not seen before.

As far as the new downloads/videos page, it might get a little annoying scrolling through all those videos. By a certain page number I really won't check. Unless I check everyday I might miss a song or so. :\
Image Image

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:23 pm

The reason for splitting up the new downloads page is server load. It's one of the most popular pages on the whole site and all those database queries make the site slow down. It was split into pages to avoid slowing the site down.

Chao
Org Profile

Post by Chao » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:56 pm

If the problem is the database queries, how about a summary, which would be generated daily for the basic queries (weekly, monthly, local, exterior, sort by each of the headings), when looking over such a large period as a week or a month, missing a couple of new ones for that day isn't a big issue as a seperate 2 day search can be done. This way you only need to query the database something like 16 times a day for the long term searches, meaning that a full listing would no longer put a strain on the server.

Return to “Site Announcements”