Update and Server Announcement

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Update and Server Announcement

Post by Phade » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:11 pm

Hey All,

I've been lurking around for a while and decided to pop in with an update and an announcement. It seems that everything is going fine here at AnimeMusicVideos.org while I've been away. That is a great sign that the community as a whole is very strong and the members I left in charge are doing an excellent job. I am proud of everyone for continuing to make this site what it is.

First I would like to thank you all for the heartfelt sentiments given in my last announcement. They are all greatly appreciated!! Mary and I are now proud parents of a perfectly healthy little boy, David James McCormic. He was born June 13 weighing 8lb 7oz. He's doing his best to sleep all day and stay up all night. ^_^ Mary is recovering well.

But back on the Org side of things, I've noticed that during peak usage times that download speeds can get below 15KB/s (instead of the usual 300KB/s for me). The server has been in need of a bandwidth upgrade for quite some time. In fact, the storage server bandwidth is usually maxed out from 2pm until 2am every day. That has perdy much sucked, imho.

But now, through powers of persuasion, we have been able to get a 66.67% increase in speed for only a 20% increase in price. What does this mean? This means that we're now running at full 100Mbps speed up from our previous 60Mbps!! There should be no more slowdowns during the day (or any other time for that matter). All the new Otakon vids that are coming out this weekend will be on your hard drive much quicker now. ^_^

Also in the September / October timeframe, we will also be upgrading our storage capacity. The current storage server only has about 300G left on it which should take us to the end of the year. But with an additional storage server, the site will be able to do something that I've always want to do: store convention-quality copies of vids.

The site will help coordinate video entries for conventions / contests who would like our help. In addition to the distribution-quality file, members may be able to upload a convention-quality copy of their vid. The new high quality version can be greater than the current file size limit of 100M for distribution. Convention / contest coordinators will then be able to confirm participation of each vid at their show.

In addition to high quality copies, the site will allow special permission to host large project videos such as Animix, DDR, etc. This means that you will be able to download the full project in distribution quality as one large file. More details on this and convention-quality uploads will come when the new server is available.

All of this has been made possible purely through donations by site members. I would like to thank all of those who have already donated and encourage those who have not donated or only donated a small amount to please help us make the site better and better each year. Only with your help can this site continue to exist.

In the mean time, download!! Thanks again and have a great day!! ^_^

[reactivates cloaking device…]

Phade.

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:15 pm

All of this is extremely welcome news. Bravo, Phade, as well as all of the people involved in making these things happen ^_^
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:20 pm

Thanks for the heads up, man! :D
ImageImage

Joykiller
Longwinded Cynic
Org Profile

Post by Joykiller » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:21 pm

This is AMAZING news!!! I'm really glad you are still involved with the site and concerned about us. It'll be great if after the baby gets a little older you can come back to the forums and hang out more.

And here I was ready to come in here and bitch someone out for making a fake account with you handle! haha.

Keep us posted, and let us know if you need emergency contributions for this. I think I speak for many here when I say that we'll do what we can to help!!

Take it easy.
-Drew
Former Anime Mid-Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator

Maverick-Rubik
The Eye of a Lynx
Org Profile

Re: Update and Server Announcement

Post by Maverick-Rubik » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:31 pm

Phade wrote:In addition to high quality copies, the site will allow special permission to host large project videos such as Animix, DDR, etc. This means that you will be able to download the full project in distribution quality as one large file.
What about being able to view the opinions of project videos you were in? :?

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:34 pm

Awesome news. Glad to hear everything is going well also. Thanks for the update.

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:53 pm

I agree, This is awesome the kinds of things the Org plans to achieve. This site is much more than i ever knew it to be when i first joined.l Glad to be apart of the community :D

SephirothJenova
Org Profile

Post by SephirothJenova » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:42 pm

I don't understand how Phade's donation is pending.

Sephiroth

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:18 am

This is great.
This is fantastic.
This is unbelievable.
This is AMV. ORG!!!!one111!!!

:lol: Thanks a lot.
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:46 am

That's really good news. :D
I guess Quu's work (otakuvideo's contest server) will be merged with the "convention" system ?

Return to “Site Announcements”