AIM Chat Room Pwn3d: IRC adopted!

Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

Post by Bahamut God » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:28 pm

Tab. wrote:dude.

http://digitalinsanity.ath.cx/~tab/BTFUN.txt

It's the same old chat.
If anyone says differently it's because.. well... they're gay.
He got banned for quoting a Monty Python song? :?
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

Sanosuke6988
Org Profile

Post by Sanosuke6988 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:54 pm

It's not the same old chat, because I was warned for talking and acting exactly like you guys were. So that just shows favoritism. And since when does NME say BTFUN? lol

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:58 pm

Vepaot wrote:Now what is so hard about putting that on the site somewhere?
FYI, we're currently considering this. Stay tuned.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:04 pm

I never thought so much anger and bitterness could be created by the removal of a link from the Members Main Page :/ Of course, hindsight is 20-20.

I'm going to address some of the concerns that have been raised.

The link was removed because some rules that are very important on the org were being broken in the chat - such as direct attacks on other members which is the most important rule of the site and is taken very seriously.

In response, a chat that could be moderated to reduce this was made. Rules were set.

Of course, rather than debate whether or not the set rules are good for the chat room or not, many people saw the change of chat client as an attack at the chat room that they like.

I never intended the new chat to suggest that. All the rules are changeable following discussion and have already been changed since the chat room was established.

I have said in previous posts and in various other places that I do not have a problem, on a personal level, with the AIM chat room. However, for an official chatroom we need to have some ability to react to members attacking and abusing other members, which is why IRC seemed much more appropriate for the "offical" chatroom. It also allows announcements regarding the running of the website to be made in topics and fserves of hard to find videos to run.

I am, however, perfectly willing to have a link to the AIM chat as an unofficial chat room where people can have freedom and everything that goes with it. I have no problem whatsover with changing the members main page link from "IRC CHAT" to "Chat Rooms" and then having a link to the official "IRC chat" where you can find video fserves and updates on any site issues and an unofficial "AIM Chat" where you can have freeform convserations with other amv fans.

If people would like that, then I'll be happy to oblige.

Regarding the forcefulness of the moderation, it's possible that moderation might be too severe in some situations and if someone contacts me personally about any decisions I will be happy to look at the circumstances and make a decision on them. Nobody is perfect - I'd rather people were open and specific in their criticisms than just whine about how things suck. If there's a rule that you don't like, ask me about it. If there's a moderation decision you don't like, ask me about it. I'm not totally closed-minded.

I do stand by my belief that the Aim chatroom doesn't really work as an official org chatroom and that IRC is more suited to that sort of thing but equally I do appreciate the attraction of the regular AIM chat room and have no objection to it being an unofficial alternative.

I'm sorry if anyone feels in any way offended by any of the decisions made regarding the chat rooms - I'm trying to act in the interests of everyone and it's difficult to please everyone at once but I am always open to suggestions.

Bahamut God
Wrong Kind of Special
Org Profile

Post by Bahamut God » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:49 pm

Sounds good to me. I really do feel nothing can be gained by reducing the services this website can provide, unless it's a money problem. This addresses all my problems. ^_^

I'll be honest, I don't even go into the aim chat room that much, but I like to know it's there. When I do go in I generally have a good time if it's busy.

I really did not like because I got banned from the forum a while ago for posting a link to an UNLICENSED bt anime fansub. I never in my wildest dreams thought that would be a problem, yet it was. That kind of made me sour towards moderated things in general. Licensed I can understand, but unlicensed? When I asked the moderator the reasoning behind it, he even told me that using the same logic, you can't post links to thing within a-m-v.org, but the idea is the brake the law as little as posable. Seemed kind of crappy to me, I would have liked a warning since apparently logic would tell you that it's fine. (I know the rules say no warning, but I knew that and I still thought that no one would possible have a problem if it was still UNLICENSED!)

Never mind, wrong topic anyway.

Thanks!

Also, I don't know much about irc (as I have said before) but it seems that being banned is a joke since you can just come back in, but it seems that nme is a bad moderator from what I have seen linked here. (which may be edited selectively...)
[Visit my Profile, it hates Bush!]
[Feel bad for someone who killed a kid]
"I'm telling you, I want to be a loser."-Khushrenada
I have a titley thing, and you might not. ^_^/

Tab.
Org Profile

Post by Tab. » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:43 pm

Oh, I fucked up. That was only about 1/20th of btfun.txt.

Here's the real thing.

Sanosuke6988
Org Profile

Post by Sanosuke6988 » Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:52 pm

Do you really expect me to read all that?

And by the way, I'm still banned for no reason at all =/

Vepaot
Org Profile

Post by Vepaot » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:01 pm

@ AbsoluteDestiny:

Yes, I thik that is compromisable. I don't care how official or unofficial the AIM chat is, so long as we still have it. But I would suggest making a Disclaimer to tell people that they should enter at their own risk. I like you, let's make both chats! =D
Click Below:
<a href="aim:GoChat?RoomName=AnimeMusicVideosdotORG">Image</a>

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:30 pm

Reminds me so much of when the OT was closed. Actually yes, it's exactly the same. WDYK!

Hey AD and Mod ppl, it must feel great to be in Phade's shoes, right? :roll:
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Wheee_It's_Me!
Org Profile

Post by Wheee_It's_Me! » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:44 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:I never thought so much anger and bitterness could be created by the removal of a link from the Members Main Page :/ Of course, hindsight is 20-20.
*shakes head*

Phade should have NEVER left you in charge, you obviously know absolutely nothing of Inet sociology.
I'm going to address some of the concerns that have been raised.

The link was removed because some rules that are very important on the org were being broken in the chat - such as direct attacks on other members which is the most important rule of the site and is taken very seriously.
You know AD, amazing as this sounds, there's actually an IGNORE button in AOL chat. Now if a person is so utterly fucking stupid that they can't even put an "attacker" on ignore, then they should probably just kill themselves as a gift to the rest of humanity. When it reaches a point where you're so utterly fucking stupid that you need some short bus riding moron with an @ symbol in front of their nyme to ban someone cause, oh my fucking GAWD, apparently some people need somone ~slighly~ less stupid to THINK on their behalf...yeah, you're fucking up! It's different here on the boards because there's no ignore feature and there are concerns as far as bandwidth limitations and so forth, however those do not apply to the AIM chat room. At MOST you should probably include some kind of guide along with instructions on how to put someone on ignore and it should be made clear that no one is going to babysit your stupid fucking ass because you lack the coherent sense to ignore someone whose saying mean things about you.
In response, a chat that could be moderated to reduce this was made. Rules were set.
AD, your IRC mods don't even follow the rules. How exactly do you explain how I got banned? Did you see the log I posted? How do you explain that?
Of course, rather than debate whether or not the set rules are good for the chat room or not, many people saw the change of chat client as an attack at the chat room that they like.
No, they really didn't. A LOT of people gave the IRC chat a good chance, however the stupid morons you allowed to have ops started abusing their positions ON THE FIRST DAY! I mean, really, how do you explain NME as an op? How EXACTLY did THAT seem like a good idea? What were you high at the time?
I never intended the new chat to suggest that. All the rules are changeable following discussion and have already been changed since the chat room was established.
Your rules are a joke, your ops don't even follow them!
I have said in previous posts and in various other places that I do not have a problem, on a personal level, with the AIM chat room. However, for an official chatroom we need to have some ability to react to members attacking and abusing other members, which is why IRC seemed much more appropriate for the "offical" chatroom. It also allows announcements regarding the running of the website to be made in topics and fserves of hard to find videos to run.
AD, NO ONE needs you or any one of you appointed fuckups as a babysitter, NO ONE.
I am, however, perfectly willing to have a link to the AIM chat as an unofficial chat room where people can have freedom and everything that goes with it. I have no problem whatsover with changing the members main page link from "IRC CHAT" to "Chat Rooms" and then having a link to the official "IRC chat" where you can find video fserves and updates on any site issues and an unofficial "AIM Chat" where you can have freeform convserations with other amv fans.

If people would like that, then I'll be happy to oblige.
The IRC chat IMHO still damages the reputation of this community because you created a channel with deliquent OPs. Don't you know ANYTHING about IRC, AD? Don't you comprehend how fast a channel can develop an unfavorable reputation? Did you even fucking THINK when you started assigning ops?! *shakes head*
Regarding the forcefulness of the moderation, it's possible that moderation might be too severe in some situations and if someone contacts me personally about any decisions I will be happy to look at the circumstances and make a decision on them. Nobody is perfect - I'd rather people were open and specific in their criticisms than just whine about how things suck. If there's a rule that you don't like, ask me about it. If there's a moderation decision you don't like, ask me about it. I'm not totally closed-minded.
Here's a thought, how do you plan to crack down on deliquent OPs? Do you have some rules in place for penalties for banning without reason? Because, free cl00, if you don't, then it doesn't matter if you go in and unban someone who gets banned for some bullshit reason, cause yer deliquent OPs will just go right back in after yer gone and reban them again.
I do stand by my belief that the Aim chatroom doesn't really work as an official org chatroom and that IRC is more suited to that sort of thing but equally I do appreciate the attraction of the regular AIM chat room and have no objection to it being an unofficial alternative.
WRONG! An AIM chat room is about 100 times more user friendly than an IRC chat room, especially to the n00bs. Furthermore, you don't seem to comprehend what IRC is used for these days. Free cl00, it's not chat. Like, did it just skip you, who else is on that server? Last I checked it was animesuki...I mean, hello, are you TRYING to align the .org with large anime pirating groups? o_O

*shakes head*

I don't get it AD, either you are just the most clueless "oldbie" I've ever met or you're smoking crack.
I'm sorry if anyone feels in any way offended by any of the decisions made regarding the chat rooms - I'm trying to act in the interests of everyone and it's difficult to please everyone at once but I am always open to suggestions.
Here's a lil suggestion for ya AD, the next idea you get, shoot me an e-mail and run it by me first, I can tell you about EVERY potential fuckup that it'll wind up causing BEFORE is causes them.

Return to “Site Announcements”