VCA Nominations Vote Update

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:53 pm

For next years VCA, perhaps it would be a good idea to track the videos that the user has tried to download, and have an option on the vca nominations screen to only show those videos? It would make the list much more managable.
Zarxrax

Postby Scintilla » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:16 am

Problem with that is that you can't track indirect and direct downloads.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Arigatomina » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:20 am

Scintilla wrote:Problem with that is that you can't track indirect and direct downloads.

Yep. >.<

You could always limit it to the vids people have reviewed - that would encourage more people to give feedback to vids they liked. But that would kill the last minute promotions for those who write long reviews, and really narrow down the number of nominations.
Arigatomina

Postby Zarxrax » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:38 am

Technically, the site can track direct and indirect downloads. In fact it does already. You see the counter by the number of direct downloads a video has gotten? I imagine it wouldn't be to difficult to add something to a users data file saying that he clicked a download link for a video.
Zarxrax

Postby XenoDrake » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:11 am

Zarxrax wrote:Technically, the site can track direct and indirect downloads. In fact it does already. You see the counter by the number of direct downloads a video has gotten? I imagine it wouldn't be to difficult to add something to a users data file saying that he clicked a download link for a video.

but it cant track weather they GOT the file, and on direct links, people can use download helpers that ping the link a dozen times.

~XenoDrake
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 512 character limit
www.myspace.com/xenodrake for tunes
XenoDrake

Postby Zarxrax » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:25 am

But still, Just having the videos that you attempted to download in the list of videos would be much better than having ALL video listed.
Zarxrax

Postby Phade » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:47 am

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I try to make improvements each year to the contest. This year's improvement was local hosting. :-) Perhaps next year with a better design, more cross-referrencing tools can be made available.

But to clarify, the "direct" and "indirect" counters are just counters and do not record who clicked on what. Only "local" counters remember which video(s) you have successfully downloaded.

Thanks again and have fun!! ^_^

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby VegettoEX » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:26 pm

All of these responses seem to completely forget the fact that most of us see TONS of videos outside of the internet. Conventions, anyone? I've easily seen more videos at conventions, this year, than I have downloaded. It would be ridiculous to not include those videos for us to nominate / vote for, simply because we didn't download it.

Just because we didn't download it doesn't mean we didn't see it ^^.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] - [| AnimeNEXT AMV Contest Coordinator |] ::
:: [| Daizenshuu EX (website/podcast) |] - [| AMV Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: I'm Above The Age Of 10 And I Like Pokemon |] ::
VegettoEX

Postby SSJVegita0609 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:All of these responses seem to completely forget the fact that most of us see TONS of videos outside of the internet. Conventions, anyone? I've easily seen more videos at conventions, this year, than I have downloaded. It would be ridiculous to not include those videos for us to nominate / vote for, simply because we didn't download it.

Just because we didn't download it doesn't mean we didn't see it ^^.

The sheer logic frightens me...

He makes a good point.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.
SSJVegita0609

Postby Voices_Of_Ryan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:42 pm

So many videos.
So impossible to catch them all...

=[
No matter what you do,
Someone or something if gonna not get due justice/credit.

I guess we all have to try our best to the video's that ARE here, and not DQ'ed (even though somemay have been unfairly DQ'ed).
"hey... no"
Voices_Of_Ryan

Postby Zarxrax » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:47 pm

Well I said it should be an option to shorten the lists, not mandatory. But either way, something would need to be done to shorten these lists. I'm not voting for most of the categories because I'm too lazy to look through the titles of hundreds or thousands of videos, about 10 times :|
Zarxrax

Postby LightningCountX » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:51 pm

Zarxrax wrote:For next years VCA, perhaps it would be a good idea to track the videos that the user has tried to download, and have an option on the vca nominations screen to only show those videos? It would make the list much more managable.

thats a pretty good idea ^_^, and thats the way i play it for the vca's right now. I dont just go on downloading rampages to check which is best during the vca's.
LightningCountX

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:58 pm

You can always go to your "my downloads" page and note down ones you want to nominate for the local ones.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby )v(ajin Koji » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:48 am

so we're gonna have to wait till tomorrow to find out if we've been nominated?

I stayed up till 5am for nothing!?

=¬ X
I'm bored and you're dumb. A match made in heaven.
- Kai Stromler to son_goten.
Last edited by )v(ajin Koji on Mon 21, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
)v(ajin Koji

Postby OmniStrata » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:51 am

my qualifications got raped by a technicality...

my luck honestly can't get any better this year baby... [note sarcasm] :evil:
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV
OmniStrata

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements