Off Topic Section Removed

Jace Tsunami
Org Profile

Post by Jace Tsunami » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:27 pm

Touché

I loved the off topic forums, but ever since this new wave of n00bs that never stoped, it just turned into the kiddy corner and never went back to normal.

The n00bs that came just to post in off topic ruined and ifnected the entire forum. They completley killed over OT, and then they'd post in regular forums with stupid worthlessness.

It's one thing to have self obsorbed idiots in the all about me forum, it's another to have them in, oh say the music forum.
http://www.punkaddict.com

myspace.com/punkaddict

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:33 pm

No matter how good of a choice this was, no matter how relevent it is to the site, and no matter how many "intelligent" people support Phade's move, this saddens me.

I will admit I often used the OT forums as a refuge, somewhere to hang out I guess you could say. But that never stopped me from posting in other forums. And anyway, wasn't the AAM forum created to stop people from introducing themselves? I'm just saying that the mods will still have lots of the same type of work to do in other forums now.

I will complain no more, but my drive to make videos has just gone down a notch. As my association with the members has just gone down a notch I find myself caring much less.

So, to all the friends I've made, I hope to see you at Demonseal. ^_^
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Summanaro
Org Profile

Post by Summanaro » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:55 pm

I'd like to re-instate my complaint on the whole site matter.

Rules could've been made, mods could've been there, this could've all been prevented.

Someone necroposts once, you close the thread, give them a warning, and then go on with your daily mod life, supposdivly closing threads that are innapropriate, trying to keep people in line, ect. Then the same person necroposts again, what do you do? Close the thread and ban them. If people cannot follow the rules, or if you cannot enforce and make proper rules to ensure a nice forum, then they or it is useless. I have seen the WORST moderation to a forum EVER, right here. The fact is, you didn't do anything! When someone gets out of line, enforce the rules, that's what you needed to do all along! If you would've just had some sense that you could keep all the spam in the WOT forums, then we wouldn't have locked forums! We wouldn't have spamming newbs! We wouldn't have a senseless thread every fucking 5 minutes in the GOT and AAM forums. Rules are made to be inforced, I have seen little action taken on necroposters, spammers, and over all idiots. Instead of locking a whole fucking set of forums, you could've simply enforced the rules.
your mom.

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:01 pm

I still can't believe after Rozard's first post, people are still discussing this. It astounds me that there are 12 pages to this thread. I didn't think it would've been such a deal, but oh well.

Go make an AMV or something. You got the time now :-P

Seriously though, I know it sounds prick-ish, but what's the big deal? Sure I posted in there too, but there are *plenty* of other options out there (which have been suggested). You guys make it seem like Phade shot your favorite puppy and you can't have it replaced or something. Well I guess one could ultimately argue that since it was your "favorite" it was special or some junk, but just make one of those forums special. I'm sure the Milos or Danny would love the new traffic and intelligent posts that will come of it.

In closing, it's not the end of the world. More like a fart in the wind. Again, go make AMVs :-P
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:54 pm

Um... ok.

I just signed on yesterday evbening and saw the entire Off Topic section locked up. Signed on today and found this thread announcing it.

Fuck.

I'll miss Off Topic, and personally I think a little nook for stuff not related to Anime, Music, or Video is necessary. It adds to the variety of people that become active in the site, and I think it seemed to be healing somewhat. Intelligent stuff was coming back to the Off Topic area. But, while I will miss OT, I can just as easily keep in contact with the same general crowd over at other places.

I'm surprised no one brought up Shadowworld as an alternative. True, I haven't been there in a long while either, but this seems like a good time to head back. ^^

Also, really, I have to side with the "Phade owns the site, he calls the shots" camp a bit too. I don't like the decision to remove Off Topic, but I'm not the one in charge around here. This website isn't a democracy, and it's not up to us what goes on in the administration. We either accept it as it is or we leave, but we don't get to call the shots. That's just how it is.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:19 pm

Regarding Heads Up:

I'd venture to say that threads alerting people to good deals on hardware or software relevant to amv making in some way would probably be tolerated in the hardware or software forums.

To the people complaining that the removal of those forums will "cut you off from contact with the creators of videos you like":

What exactly will stop you from reading AMV Announcements, and commenting to or asking questions of creators when they announce a new video in a thread there? Or from reading any of the other forums to see what video makers have on their minds? Nothing.
The only thing that's changed is that you can't just spam about whatever pops into your ADD addled little brains on Phade's bandwidth tab anymore.
(the donut is hosted on a separate server from the main site, AFAIK)

To those complaining that they have had their community ripped from them:

You've actually read all the posts in this thread, right? If so, you've seen many links and references to the demonseal forums. I've been there, and the membership looks pretty much like a mirror of this site's OT forums.
If you haven't seen those links, you haven't read this thread, and that sort of stupidity is what caused this problem in the first place.

To those saying that the removal of OT has upset them enough that they probably won't complete the awesome video they were working on:

Stop trying to kid yourselves and us. If you really wanted to make videos, you'd concentrate on that, not spend hours posting your latest brainfarts in OT.
Shit or get off the pot. Make vids or don't, but don't try to pretend that we're all going to miss out on something incredible just because your precious spamforums were taken away.

It is no surprise to me that this thread has been bloated to such a ridiculous size so quickly by the same 10 or so idiots spamming their whiny complaints over and over, and then posting again to agree with each other.

It's over. The decision's been made. You've been told where you can go to post like that, so shut the hell up already and leave, if that is your intention.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:39 pm

I shouldn't donate because I want a section of the forums back?

No; there are other sites that I can go to for non-AMV related talk.
People donate for video hosting, not for the forums.
Image Image

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:01 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:This is an AMV site. The forum is a peripheral to it. If you're genuinely here for the AMVs, then essentially nothing will change on the site. I don't see why anyone who is here primarily for posting and watching AMV sees this as a great loss. AMV-wise, this removal of OT is no great detriment.
i think the problem isn't with just the people who dont make amvs that post meaningless threads...

the OT forums are a set place where creators can throw ideas around with one another on topics unrelated to amvs. outside of AIM chats, and IRC. it's just easier. a forum is easier to post in and read. OT is for everyone. you, myself, etc etc. so we cna talk about things other than amvs.

somewhere down the line i can see myself running into Tab in the general video thread and i know we're going to spam about 2 pages of nonesense dealing with ripping dvds laughing it up having a gay old time.

instead of the brainless stuff now.

that

seems to be a whole lot more fun.

imo.

but what do i know. i dont know how to have fun.

fun for me is sitting in a cubicle and working with software engineers.

hell, what use is an OT forum for me anyways.

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:16 pm

Machine wrote:
Beowulf wrote:I'd just like to voice my approval.

Forum junkies make shity videos. Thats all there is too it. Shity video's aren't fun to watch.

Go Phade.

Support 100% :D

But Phade is right. Did anyone ever look at one of the topics on the OFF-TOPIC section?

The kids of the MTV generation were murdering this forum :?

haha

that's about as dumb as that picture you have of yourself posing. good one. i could impersonate jbone and say "HEY BEOWULF, YOUR GRAMMAR SUCKS AND THAT MEANS YOU'RE STUPID", ...but i just did.

maybe that settles the score

neway, if you guys want a place to act stupid, just go to another forum like everyone stated about a billion times before. someone said that this site sucks and that everyone should go to demonseal. i do find that hilarious because that has the same stupid shit as OT, and so do some other certain "popular" forums of video creators here. there's a poll about how much jbone sucks at demonseal. someone else also made a poll stated "WHO'S FAULT IS IT FOR THE LOCKING OF THE OT SECTION"

and for those saying "bye" because the OT section is locked, that's just as pathetic. i don't understand, did you just join this site to produce garbage and talk about stuff that no one could possibly care about? what the hell is going on

"veterans" quitting because of some worthless threads is really sad. blaming it on people for such is just as sad. having your motivation for video creation dissipate because you can't talk to your friends in OT is just as sad, and if that's not what you mean, then what the hell is it? people who don't make videos still have a section: it's called general amv, and general anime.

if nething's preventing me from making a video, it's the AMV announcements section of this god damn forum.

what's even funnier is comparing the two sections of the forum. as for the people who say that the "ot bullshit" will spread to the other parts of the forum, there's already bullshit up there. the OT section had turned into shit so much that even I didn't enjoy going there any longer. but i rather read that shit than read "WHOS TIRED OF U4EUH FANS" "GOD I HATE THIS REVIEW" "WHY WONT ANYONE WATCH MY VIDEOS" "I HATE NEWBS" "SOMEONE MAKE GOOD VIDEOS" "UM I DIDNT KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS". the only thing worth reading is the help section, ha ..maybe not even that. let's watch someone argue about video codecs.

if someone makes a thread in OT and MaijinKoji is even "rolling his eyes" then something's wrong. blaming mods for not doing their jobs is just as pathetic. if people weren't making threads like "what's wrong with necrophilia" they (the MODS) wouldn't even have to be here. as far as warnings go, i think the cleanup of last year's october was warning enough, auto-pruning of sections of the forums and mods appearing are sure enough warnings.

the same people who keep posting in this thread are the ones who just want to argue. the other ones are the people trying to act cool and telling you to shutup already and still posting. haha. it always happens. doesn't matter what part of the forum there's a 18 page thread with people bickering. no problem is solved and you're worse off than what you were before.

i guess you never heard of AIM, look at the ORG chatroom. it's just as stupid, that's what you want, right? go there.
"BUT RACHEL, IT'S NOT THE SAME AS THE FORUMS" oh yeah, that must be because you can backspace when you talk on aim and there's no edit button on the forum. ...wait, would that mean that AIM IS BETTER?!

if you didn't want to read all that, here's a summary.

i think you people have forgotten how generous phade has been, and the MODS, either that or you don't care. you don't own this forum. as for jbone and the few others who felt it was needed to call everyone else dumb, you guys are, im pretty sure, the other reason why other people hang around at the bottom part of the forum. as far as i can tell, the new people threatening to leave are saying it's because of the top part of the forum, not the bottom. please just don't isolate the OT section. someone's talking about how they have an obsession over someone else, but somewhere else someone is bitching out a new person and arguing about the same thing over again. what's worse, i dont know.

so now we have people who supposedly left because the OT forum and now other people are leaving because the OT forum is ceasing to exist.

no one is ever satisfied here. i'd rather deal with the problem which involves the mindset of some of these creators than this though.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:47 am

Well, if it's any better :?

I didn't agree about the Phade being generous. Since like donations were coming in. But even with that he has been very generous with his time and actually his money in the very begining and even now. For AMV hosting you cannot be the value of the ORG.

For forum's though, you probably could and while it's true that the off-topic was degenerating again, I still enjoyed the people who posted there. Even if they didn't make AMVs I still valued their contribution. This feels kinda like giving those people the finger and telling them they're not worthy of using the site.

AD talked to me about this before hand and the word was that Phade & the mods were tired of babysitting these people. Which I think is rather unfair. This happened shortly after Jim Hawking's suicide post and I think that posted had something to do with it

It's probably better for the ORG to not mess with fate again and have another person come on saying that they're going to kill themselves and them actually doing it. Nor is it really good to have a forum that %99.9 of the content is useless. Venturing into Way Off-topic and seeing entire threads where people are answering each other in the 20 available emoticons is just silly and a waste of site resources.

Meanwhile I enjoyed hearing about what was going on in peoples lives, reading the picture threads and operating the picture site. Talking to alot of the people in off-topic and meeting new people through there was an activitely of mine. I could also always post some of my still 'art-work' which I have more turned towards over time as I've gotten further away from making actual AMVs. Now there isn't really a place for me to post that to.

And some may wonder why it matters. I think it matters because I knew alot of people here and the fact that not everyone is going to go exactly to the same place. Alot may go over to DemonSeal, but somehow DemonSeal doesn't feel the same. It feels different. Over time it'll probably feel more natural. But hell, I deemed a-m-v.org as the only forums worth visiting during my day. I didn't go to any others and adding one more is a bit annoying. Ofcourse and I wonder if I even should because I rarely posted in off-topic to begin with. :shock:

It seems there are alot of contradictions and just general agnst. Such as the mods being tired of having to "babysit" people. While I didn't see alot of modding going on. Jim Hawking's thread should have been locked and he should have been told to talk to a counselor. That may be semi-babysitting, but instead what happened is the thread goes on for pages and pages with both insults and good-wishings. It's funny sort of how the people in the thread telling him that he's pathetic for posting something on a "internet forum". In a way that they're saying that an internet forum is the lowest form of communication invented and that they could live their lives without one. Are infact the same ones upset over the off-topic forums getting locked up.

I agree that there was abuse everywhere. Mushkin has posted in the Video Help forums about how he warezed Combustion & Maya. In the General AMV forum right there there is a topic on Premiere which shouldn't be there and it's been there for almost two weeks now. Also I wonder if the Anime Forums are useful, do we need a new "Who do you think is a hot anime female?" thread every other week. Or the Music Forum's "OMG LINKPARK SUCKS!!!".

LOL so I guess it's all in what you valued and I did value the off topic forums and I am kinda sad to see them go. But it's up to Phade and whining to him probably is not going to help out. Though it'd be nice if he'd backup the tables and send them to me before Mike has a heart-attack...

>_>

Return to “Site Announcements”