Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:57 am

Hey,

Arigatomyna: Some vids come and go. With the full Donut server on the way, putting up more vids is completely an option when it gets here, but most will still be up to the video creator to do it.

ZeWrestler: I'm probably going to rewrite the "under rated" section to pull from the local vids, thus fixing that problem.

Phade.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:15 pm

sounds cool phade
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Re: Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

Post by dwchang » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:59 pm

Phade wrote:Hey All,

With the creation of the Star Scale, the minimum number of opinions to appear on the Top 10% list has been increased from 3 to 7. This has reduced the number of videos appearing on the list but should also reduce the number of videos that shouldn't be on the list. More tweaking to follow.

Phade.
Quick thing...it says at the bottom:

"Qualified = count(opinions) > 7"

That would mean 8 opinions to qualify. Not 7.

Did you mean for it to be 7 instead of 8? I think you did based on this post, but perhaps you meant to say 8 here.

Given, it doesn't matter that much, just figured I'd point out a possible typo or worse something that requires actual work :(.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:06 pm

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:30 pm

Phade, can we get an all 1's op purge anytime soon? The top 10% had a rash of those several weeks back from a "Super Vegeta" and others who wanted thier own videos to be pushed into the top slots...
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:58 am

Dannywilson wrote:Phade, can we get an all 1's op purge anytime soon? The top 10% had a rash of those several weeks back from a "Super Vegeta" and others who wanted thier own videos to be pushed into the top slots...
Yeah I noticed that guy on a lot of ppl's with all 1's :(. Sorry guys...
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:24 am

While you're at it, you might want to discount the 'all 10s' scores as well. I think few people would complain about getting them (not me ^_^;; ), but they're just as unrealistic as the 'all 1s' voters, when you get right down to it. If you cut out the low, it's just right to cut out the top as well...isn't it? :? It's like the 1s and 5s for the star scale counts...

Of course, I don't know anyone who'd want their random 'all 10s' removed, but they're still just as deviant from the 'norm' as an 'all 1s' score - or at least they *should* be if the average to aim for is 5.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:58 am

I think removing the all 10s would be quite dramatic - I bet there's a lot of them.

I know that Shameless Rock Video has had some opinions that said things like "I never thought I'd give a video all 10s but with this one I had to".

Whether I agree with them or not there are people who do think it's possible to give a video all 10s.

Also, if you delete the opinion in its entirety, what if it was a really long detailed and useful opinion on all the different elements they liked about the video? That opinion would be lost forever.

In short, although I can understand why you'd want to remove all 10s opinions I dont think they deserve deletion. All 1s opinions rarely offer constructive criticism, so it's less of na issue. All 10s ones can be valid opinions.

Heh, I guess you could just say that, unless the person writes over 100 words on the opinion, an all 10s review doesnt count in the scoring :P That would remove many people who dont think about the scoring and just say something is great ^_^

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:58 am

Heh, believe me, I don't want to see the 'all 10s' removed. But there are many cases where people give or recieve those and the people handing them out say as little as the ones handing out the 'all 1s.' My thoughts are just this - if you cut out the 1s because you don't think it's fair, or because they don't say much, then you should have to cut out the 10s for the same reason. There are videos people think are bad that have gotten 10s because some viewers love them. And then there are videos people think are great that have gotten 1s because some viewers hate them. If you're going to keep only the 'average-given' votes, you'd need to cut out the high scores along with the low. Otherwise, it really isn't fair to those people who hand out 1s because they thought something was terrible - any more than it's fair to the ones who hand out 10s because they thought something was wonderful. :?

It's hard enough to get people to leave reviews - I just don't want to see them being modified so only the ones agreeing with 'average scores' get included. If you cut out the low for deviating too far, then you have to cut out the high as well.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:11 am

Yeah, but there's a big difference between an all 10 and all 1 review... some things it's just not really possible to get a 1 on...

1 for sound quality? Can you ever, really imagine giving something a 1 for sound quality... I mean, how can someone really mess that up. Even if it's an 8bit mono wav file it's still going to be 2 or 3 for sound quality. I mean, as long as you can hear it and make out the tune I cant see something getting a 1.

Most all 1s videos dont think about the individual elements, they just give all of it 1 cause they thought the video was terrible.

Honestly, I still think there's a big difference between the amount of thought gone into ALL of the all 1s reviews in comparison to ALL of the all 10s ones.

Return to “Site Announcements”