Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

This forum is for site announcements. Please go here to read the SITE & FORUM RULES.

Top 10% Min Requirement Raised

Postby Phade » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:22 pm

Hey All,

With the creation of the Star Scale, the minimum number of opinions to appear on the Top 10% list has been increased from 3 to 7. This has reduced the number of videos appearing on the list but should also reduce the number of videos that shouldn't be on the list. More tweaking to follow.

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby OmniStrata » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:49 pm

700 R |)@ |\/|@|\|

^_^

8)
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV
OmniStrata

Postby jonmartensen » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:50 pm

OmniStrata wrote:700 R |)@ |\/|@|\|

^_^

8)

Wut?............"Too are Daman"?

Anyways, cool. Tweaking is always appreciated. :up:
jonmartensen

Postby Tab. » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:55 pm

he was trying to say j00 are da man :/
◔ ◡ ◔
Tab.

Postby jonmartensen » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:59 pm

jonmartensen

Postby EarthCurrent » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:25 am

Phade, thank you for doing this. 8)

*honest praise*

:!:
EarthCurrent

Postby LightningCountX » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:34 pm

thats a pretty good idea, better vids will be up then
LightningCountX

Postby dwchang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:50 am

I still suggest using the "Baysian" (sp) system someone mentioned in the "Site Suggestions" forum. It's the formula that IMDB uses and I'm curious what the results would be.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby Phade » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:22 am

Hey,

Working on it... ;-)

Phade.
Phade
Site Admin

Postby EarthCurrent » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:39 pm

Good news, that.
EarthCurrent

Postby dwchang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:57 pm

Phade wrote:Hey,

Working on it... ;-)

Phade.

I have a few suggestions. Namely with the minimum ops to be qualified. Given, I like the idea of it being above 3, but 8 seems a bit too much. Now since the "ranking" requires only videos that have 8 or more ops to be qualified, I think that leaves less then 700 videos qualified before one even takes the top 10% of those.

It seems a bit harsh to cut the qualified videos from ~2,500 -> ~700. I'd suggest something around 5 or 6 opinions. I'd say that this would still take care of the problem that was rampant with the previous format of 3 ops. This would probably populate the top 10% with about ~100 videos which I think is pretty accurate compared to 50 - 60. I won't name videos, but I can think of plenty of great videos that aren't making the "cut" since the qualified videos "pool" is less than 700 and thus aren't within those Top 60 or so videos.

Oh and no, this post is not motivated by my own videos. Mine are from the top 10% currently :-P. I just think a lot of GREAT videos aren't on there and thus wouldn't get the exposure they deserve.

Another suggestion would be to go with the old format of 3 opinions to qualify and this new Baysian equation. That would definitely take care of the 3 op wonders because of the weighted rank (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C in the equation. This would obviously have the same # of entries in the top 10% (~250 videos), but the weighted average will make it so only the good videos (with more opinions) would populate the list.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the # of qualified videos isn't that many and thus the "top 10%" is more like the "top 5%" since it's so picky. At the same time, I realize why it is since the other problem is 3 op wonders. Thus, I think lowering the op requirement back to 3 AND having this Baysian equation will kill both problems. This would lead to a good 200 or so videos that deserve to be listed as such.

I hope this makes sense. I guess it's really up to you Phade to see which one works out the best and I do appreciate your work.
-Daniel
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby dwchang » Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:08 pm

Oop! Just checked, there are 88 videos listed and thus that would mean 880 videos qualified. Hmm...perhaps these videos I think are great...aren't :-P. j/k
-Daniel
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby HungryCrackPot » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:21 am

bring it down to no stars and incapable of being downloaded
maybe then i will stand a chance
oooooohhhhh ya
ImageImageImageImageImage
HungryCrackPot
Spammer Time

Postby Arigatomina » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:10 am

Is there any chance you can remove vids that aren't available for download? Or have them placed on a proxy? There are a number of vids on the top list that can't be downloaded - anime vids that could nicely be placed on the carrot. It just seems odd that you can't get some of the 'best' vids on the site. :?
Arigatomina

Postby ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:53 am

why ur at it, there are a number of vids on the most under rated videos section with broken links. maybe there should be a way (for that section at least) where if it gets enough broken link warnings, the video is taken off the list
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation
ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu

Next

Return to Site Announcements