The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Niotex » Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Phade wrote:If we only get half our goal, we get a new but not quite as nice server (not as redundant, cheaper parts, might last only 3 years instead of 6 like our current ones). No matter what, the servers are getting replaced. All donations go to this effort. No exceptions.
Cheaper parts don't inherently mean less reliable. Much in the same way as getting a high end CPU and a mid tier CPU will last you about the same amount of cycles. One is just inherently slower, hence the lower price point. Nobody is advocating for shit tier off brand hardware here. :shrug:

CrazyDreamer
Org Profile

Post by CrazyDreamer » Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 am

Okay, so we're currently running 4 main servers and 1 backup. Phade has offered to pay for a replacement backup out of his own pocket. He referred to the replacement main servers being "servers," plural. How many are we talking about purchasing here? A full 4 (which is my impression from the first post), or have advancements in computing allowed us to shrink that number to 2–3? I do like seeing things fully specced and priced, but $15,000 in donations won't quite cover three of those $5402 servers that were linked to. (Everyone debating costs HAS been multiplying by the number of units that need to be purchased, right?)

I'll probably donate after I've done my end-of-the-month bills. If the funds raised exceed costs, I assume that the leftovers will go to what donations always go to. Nothing new there.

As a side note, I'm against renting hardware, either bare-bones or as part of a storage service; it's too easy for the intermediary to get nervous about legal issues and pull the plug. I'm not saying they should; I'm saying that some of them would, and it's hard to know in advance which. This is a lot more disruption-proof. (Also, from a fundraising PoV, it's easier to get people to make a one-time donation than a recurring one, even if they average out to the same thing.)

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 am

CrazyDreamer wrote:Okay, so we're currently running 4 main servers and 1 backup. Phade has offered to pay for a replacement backup out of his own pocket. He referred to the replacement main servers being "servers," plural. How many are we talking about purchasing here? A full 4 (which is my impression from the first post), or have advancements in computing allowed us to shrink that number to 2–3? I do like seeing things fully specced and priced, but $15,000 in donations won't quite cover three of those $5402 servers that were linked to. (Everyone debating costs HAS been multiplying by the number of units that need to be purchased, right?)
Uhh.. I'm bouncing off of the information that's given to me. :|
Phade wrote:We're still debating the exact configuration, but a single server with dual quad octo-core Xeon processors, 64GB ram, dual SSDs for system, and a big array of storage drives is in the $12-15k range. We could then segment the server for specific functions. That or we could go with different physical servers or something else.

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Fri May 22, 2015 8:54 am

i'll get around to donating the little i can later on. as suggested i agree a progress bar to gauge how far along this is coming would be helpful

i don't think picking apart every expense is useful at this point. Phade himself doesn't seem to know exactly what will be purchased and is still considering/open to options.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Well, that didn't take long...

imp made me do it! The first $1000 donation has arrived!! :-D

Their hard drive has been ordered, will arrive at my house on Monday, take a few days to fill, and then be sent off hopefully later next week! This means that in about a day, this fund raiser has already raised more than $2000 towards new servers.

This can still be you! I will be more than happy to repeat this process for 13 more people and we instantly reach our pledge drive goal. :-)

The challenge is still on for the backup server purchase and we are have an excellent start towards that goal. Keep going! You can do it!! ^_^

Phade.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm

CrazyDreamer wrote:Okay, so we're currently running 4 main servers and 1 backup. Phade has offered to pay for a replacement backup out of his own pocket. He referred to the replacement main servers being "servers," plural. How many are we talking about purchasing here? A full 4 (which is my impression from the first post), or have advancements in computing allowed us to shrink that number to 2–3? I do like seeing things fully specced and priced, but $15,000 in donations won't quite cover three of those $5402 servers that were linked to. (Everyone debating costs HAS been multiplying by the number of units that need to be purchased, right?)
We do currently have individual distinct physical servers for the functions listed. One replacement option is to have one big beef box that will do all of the site functions in one machine. Other options would have site functions in separate physical boxes with varying prices (more processing power for the database server, more disks in the storage and streaming servers, and so on). All of this depends on how much funds we can raise. My goal is to get very high quality machine(s) that will last very reliably for a very long time. We'll know how close we get to that goal over the next six weeks. :-)
CrazyDreamer wrote:I'll probably donate after I've done my end-of-the-month bills. If the funds raised exceed costs, I assume that the leftovers will go to what donations always go to. Nothing new there.
I actually planned out the fund raising timeframe to span three pay periods over two months for this very reason. :-D And yes, every donation given to the Org goes for keeping the Org running.
CrazyDreamer wrote:As a side note, I'm against renting hardware, either bare-bones or as part of a storage service; it's too easy for the intermediary to get nervous about legal issues and pull the plug. I'm not saying they should; I'm saying that some of them would, and it's hard to know in advance which. This is a lot more disruption-proof. (Also, from a fundraising PoV, it's easier to get people to make a one-time donation than a recurring one, even if they average out to the same thing.)
Ya, I'm still a big fan of owned physical servers for these very reasons.

Phade.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 1:41 pm

Farlo wrote:i donated to the original golden donut long ago, so i should probably donate to this. can we call it the platinum donut or diamond donut?
Since we only need half the funds, this one is the Silver Bagel. :-D

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri May 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Phade wrote:Finally, for everyone who does donate $1000 or more, I will send you a very special gift. I will go out and buy a brand new hard drive, copy every single video from AnimeMusicVideos.org over to the drive, and mail it to you along with some very nice bonuses
Hi Phade, I have some questions about this, because I'm extremely interested.

- Only local videos, or all videos?
- All videos EVER uploaded, or only local videos CURRENTLY available?
(Because I know local vids aren't ever truly deleted. Or at least weren't a few years back anyway)

- Do the videos have some sort of decent naming system or folder organization? Or is it just everything downloaded from the org with the original file names and good luck?

Thanks.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

SQ wrote:
Phade wrote:Finally, for everyone who does donate $1000 or more, I will send you a very special gift. I will go out and buy a brand new hard drive, copy every single video from AnimeMusicVideos.org over to the drive, and mail it to you along with some very nice bonuses
Hi Phade, I have some questions about this, because I'm extremely interested.

- Only local videos, or all videos?
- All videos EVER uploaded, or only local videos CURRENTLY available?
(Because I know local vids aren't ever truly deleted. Or at least weren't a few years back anyway)
The drive will contain all videos that are on the backup server that will copy over to the external hard drive's default file system. There are a very small handful of files that have really stupid file name characters that will not copy by default, but after looking at them myself, those videos really suck and you aren't missing anything of value. Given that small technical discrepancy, all videos that are currently or have been at some time publicly available here at the Org will be on the drive. If the video was uploaded but never confirmed and made publicly available, it will not be on the drive.
SQ wrote:- Do the videos have some sort of decent naming system or folder organization? Or is it just everything downloaded from the org with the original file names and good luck?

Thanks.
There is a file system organization that will allow you to easily spot all videos by a particular creator as well as locate a file very quickly by the video ID. For example, if you wanted to watch this video:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=195404

You could quickly find it on the hard drive by using the video ID (v=195404) and vice versa by finding the video information of any video you find on the drive by plugging in the video ID into the site URL. The video will be in a folder /4/14/1101214/195404/ and will be the original uploaded file name. The structure convention is /[last digit of user ID]/[last two digits of user ID]/[user ID]/[video ID]/ so if you wanted to see all videos by Iliea, go to /2/42/256942/ and her videos will be in order oldest to newest since videos are given IDs sequentially. File system date information should be the same as whenever the file was uploaded to the Org.

Playlists will be in the m3u format for the widest media player compatibility. Playlists will be a massive "play all" list ordered best to worst by the star scale as well as a playlist for each video category (action, comedy, parody, etc.). The lists will also include all shows I could find that I created for Anime Detour from 2009 until this year, about 50 setlists in total there. All lists will be drive root relative, meaning you should be able to plug in the drive, find a list, and play it immediately regardless of what drive letter or designation is given by your machine.

All basic public video information will be contained in a CSV file including the video creator, anime used, music used, star rating, date premiered, link to video file on drive, and link to video information on the Org. If you are mildly good at Excel, you should be able to use this to create your own custom playlists. There will also be a "read me" text file explaining all these details so you don't forget.

I have done similar drives (but on a MUCH smaller scale, like 64GB thumb drives and 1TB hard drive) for the Anime Detour charity auctions. Past drive winners have said the package they received was excellent, well organized, a great hit at parties/get-togethers, and greatly appreciated.

I hope this gets you excited! ^_^

Phade.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri May 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Phade wrote:Given that small technical discrepancy, all videos that are currently or have been at some time publicly available here at the Org will be on the drive. If the video was uploaded but never confirmed and made publicly available, it will not be on the drive.
So just to be totally 100% absolutely clear, if someone had a local video (confirmed and all that) but then it was made "unavailable" later, it will still be on this drive?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Return to “Site Announcements”