The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

dokidoki wrote:
Phade wrote:Secondly, I will also personally match the largest single cash donation up to $1000; if you give $1000, I will give $1000.
I donated $1001 last time (Feb 2009) to ensure this happened.
DOKI MADE ME GIVE $1000 TO ANIMEMUSICVIDEOS.ORG!! :D

(I like the cheerleader!) :-)

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 am

I have only been on the site for a few years, and I would have no problem contributing... IF, as Koop said, there were also plans to update and "fix" the org. I do not feel comfortable in putting my money into something that will likely just keep dying anyways. Earlier this week I read GloryQuestor's post concerning the subject, and honestly, it all just sounded kind of like BS and like he was trying to avoid the issue. He claims there is a plan to update the org, but, at the same time, apparently the actual community is not important enough to inform of what the plan is. I found it annoying before, but now it is flat out frustrating because we are now being asked to give donations, and I see you are trying to avoid questions about it here as well. Again, I don't want this site to go "poof". I want to see it get better. I, however, am not willing to put money into supporting if things stay the way they are on the org because that will make it die out regardless, which means my money will have ultimately been wasted.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 21, 2015 11:46 am

Xophilarus wrote:I found it annoying before, but now it is flat out frustrating because we are now being asked to give donations, and I see you are trying to avoid questions about it here as well.
Excuse me, but I can only see Phade trying to reply to the questions raised. H is going to spend lots of his money as well. And I guess he will have no issue with getting the price of the purchased goods after we get them (if not, he can correct me) - but getting them beforehand is kinda tough.

And honestly, if we overshoot the price, it's always better, because it can be left for stuff like backup drive when one of them dies. In this I believe Phade that there are no side streams to his pocket (I think it's actually the other way around and he still has to finance it by himself even with the donations).

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 21, 2015 11:51 am

For anyone else: There are "always" plans to fix The Org. It might happen sooner, it might happen later, but it's always considered. Sure, sometimes the activity is lower, but the issues are constantly considered, as well as options to fix them, including the biggest one - the core itself. I can't promise anything with stuff like dates, features, stuff like that - nobody from us can at this point in time. But the administration does care about that stuff and we are having heated discussions about it - which we won't share unless something comes out of them, as you can hopefully understand.

I am sorry if that doesn't assure you (I know I am pretty vague and can't provide direct answers to when or what) or if you don't believe me / us, but that's the way it is at this point of time.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Thu May 21, 2015 11:59 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Xophilarus wrote:I found it annoying before, but now it is flat out frustrating because we are now being asked to give donations, and I see you are trying to avoid questions about it here as well.
Excuse me, but I can only see Phade trying to reply to the questions raised. H is going to spend lots of his money as well. And I guess he will have no issue with getting the price of the purchased goods after we get them (if not, he can correct me) - but getting them beforehand is kinda tough.

And honestly, if we overshoot the price, it's always better, because it can be left for stuff like backup drive when one of them dies. In this I believe Phade that there are no side streams to his pocket (I think it's actually the other way around and he still has to finance it by himself even with the donations).
I've stated this before, it's not hard to spec and price out a server. You can literally go to a website right now, add components to your cart and see how much it would cost including warranty. Additionally you can see how much rack space would cost, they have prices listed for this purpose. Telling the community what they're paying for and why that specific setup goes a long way.

And as asked before and promptly ignored, which is what Xophilarus could reffer to.
Niotex wrote:If you're wanting to do this and take the redesign on, I think it's only fair to be completely transparent. On both the hardware and the software platform side of things, as even a new low end server would be a huge leap in system resources. In short, what are you planning that would warrant a relatively speaking high end rack?

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Thu May 21, 2015 12:21 pm

To put it bluntly, I only donate to causes that I believe in and trust that they will deliver on their promises. What was promised in the last couple years was not delivered. There is nothing to show for it. So no, you can count me out of any contributions this time around. Maybe you will get the new hardware with this money, but I doubt that the root of the problem will be resolved. I wanted a redesign and I am not going to shell out cash for hardware to support an old design. I have lost all faith and trust in that.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu May 21, 2015 1:23 pm

In order to keep this thread on topic, I am going to explain what the site is doing in this other thread: Doing the Org's Work

This thread should stay on topic of the site hardware while the other thread focuses on the site software. I'll answer the other questions that came up in here while I was at lunch next. :-)

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu May 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Xophilarus wrote:I have only been on the site for a few years, and I would have no problem contributing... IF, as Koop said, there were also plans to update and "fix" the org. I do not feel comfortable in putting my money into something that will likely just keep dying anyways. Earlier this week I read GloryQuestor's post concerning the subject, and honestly, it all just sounded kind of like BS and like he was trying to avoid the issue. He claims there is a plan to update the org, but, at the same time, apparently the actual community is not important enough to inform of what the plan is. I found it annoying before, but now it is flat out frustrating because we are now being asked to give donations, and I see you are trying to avoid questions about it here as well. Again, I don't want this site to go "poof". I want to see it get better. I, however, am not willing to put money into supporting if things stay the way they are on the org because that will make it die out regardless, which means my money will have ultimately been wasted.
AMVs will probably die out after people stop making anime. So as long as there is anime, there will be AMVs. :-)

Check the other thread for the site plan. GloryQuestor may not have put it as elegantly as some like, but hopefully I can fill in those gaps.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu May 21, 2015 1:33 pm

I know I've donated in the past, but I didn't have responsibilities like I have now...
As much as I'd love to donate now I simply can't. :(

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Thu May 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Niotex wrote:I've stated this before, it's not hard to spec and price out a server. You can literally go to a website right now, add components to your cart and see how much it would cost including warranty. Additionally you can see how much rack space would cost, they have prices listed for this purpose. Telling the community what they're paying for and why that specific setup goes a long way.

And as asked before and promptly ignored, which is what Xophilarus could reffer to.
Niotex wrote:If you're wanting to do this and take the redesign on, I think it's only fair to be completely transparent. On both the hardware and the software platform side of things, as even a new low end server would be a huge leap in system resources. In short, what are you planning that would warrant a relatively speaking high end rack?
I am always open to suggestions on what people think should be done. Longevity is currently the goal with a physical server. We shouldn't buy for the now; we should buy for the future. I'd like to get something that we can put in place and not have to touch for many, many years no matter what we do with it. We have done this before (2009) and now doing it again now at half the cost seems extremely reasonable to me. I looked at several sites for servers including getting servers through business discounts at Dell and HP. Derobert suggested this server since he has purchased from there before and had a really good experience:

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/i57631/ ... server.php

If you would like to help coordinate server alternatives, I will really appreciate the help! One idea that has been tossed around is cloud-based servers and hosting. I know they are getting popular, but I am not familiar with how to plan for a cloud-based setup for the functions we need: web server, database server, search database server, video streaming server, bulk storage server. How much does that cost? How do we have a steady budget with no overages? How do we make sure the cloud host doesn't go poof? The last thing I want to happen is move to a cloud environment and then suddenly costs spike due to useage and we're skrewed or we have to get rid of site functionality because now we're paying for compute cycles instead of just plain power and bandwidth.

I've always liked the "you get this physical space, power, unlimited bandwidth," which is what we use now. We'll probably stick with this plan unless something solidly better comes along (I'm always up for something solidly better :-)).

Return to “Site Announcements”